A Little Bit Of Sanity And Logic (I Know, I Know)

capologist

We have everyone back on offense that we need except for Weems and I have no doubts he'll be signed soon.

We've added an experienced, very good guard. We have our young center (you guys will come around on that one).

Now, instead of blowing major bucks on Mario let's look at the alternatives:

Sidbury/Biermann: Turned in 6 sacks. Add in Abe's "prime time" snaps that they weren't playing and I assure you that number will hit double digits. Will it be double digits from one guy? Not necessarily (although I really think Sidbury is due to bust out from what I saw last year). From one position? Yes. Remember what Nolan said--he'd rather have 10 guys have 4 sacks each than 1 dominant guy. There's a reason for that.

Our young secondary returns with more experience than last year and we'll probably add more youth to it in the draft.

Sure, Lofton MAY walk. If he ends up lowering his asking price--he could return. If not, trust Nolan on that one. He's done this a time or two.

Way I see it, we'll have the opportunity to add a DE, add a CB, draft a G/C, etc. It's the classic strategy of keep your own and build through the draft.

Just use a little Patience....

I see your point but I dont see a dominant core group on defense to build around, for the most part we have average-above average players on defense except Spoon and Grimes. That means we have to be coached and play near perfect to be superbowl contenders for years to come.

Defense wins championships, not an offense that looks good on paper.

I see Cappy's point and appreciate it. I know for a fact that alot of personnel evaluation went on during the off-season. It is really hard for fans to decipher what exactlywe need when we have not seen the offensve and defensive schemes of our new coordinators with our players. I trust that they and the FO have done deligent evaluation and research in determining what additions/subtractions we need to improve the team. All we see is high price players getting couted by other teams an d we assume we need to do teh same & they may ot be the fact. Signing big names doesn't allway equate in more wins. In some ways it is very risky to tie up a huge chunk of payroll on one player. Many teams have no improvement and some even set-back due to their free spending during FA. Although i would like to see us bring in a couple of key pieces I will remain patient and optimistic; this FO took us from dispair and near bottom of the league to preennial contenders the last 4 years. I think I can believe in them

Yea I see your point but we were saying the same thing about Kory Beariman a few years ago

I'd spend a little money on

Mark Anderson

or

Kamerion Wimbley - expected to be cut

then draft Bruce Irvin

Then throw in Sid and Kory and you may not have not an elite pass rusher but some porductive one's and talented ones as well

Probably one of the biggest TD detractors on this board, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for not jumping out immediately to snag a big named talent. Maybe the reason for this is the last tries (DROB/Edwards) havn't panned out to date, maybe there's a lesson learned for him. Although I too am high on Sid,i only hope he's not content with going the cheap route in fixing our lines (Manuwai/Tatupu), and relying on existing players to step it to fill the void, talent wise, otherwise it could be a long year.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Don't forget that the 'stache and company held the SB champs to 7 points at halftime... so to say that there is no talent on this defense is wrong. Yes some more pieces def. need to be added but we do have guys who can play. Defense in this league has basically boiled down to being able to keep the game close, it doesn't necessarily matter the numbers. Remember the Saints/9ers playoff game, the 49ers gave up 30 some points but they were able to keep the game close and they were being praised for their def effort. The Patriots are also a prime example, their d pretty much blew last year, but they kept games close enough to win by holding teams to FG's and the offense would pull them out. If not for the mistakes in the SB they would have one it with a "shaky" defense. Lets not kid ourselves, the NFL is all about having a great offense and a "good enough" defense. Build that oline, we have all our skill players back and we'll be good to go. As much as many will hate to hear that... it's true...

I see your point but I dont see a dominant core group on defense to build around, for the most part we have average-above average players on defense except Spoon and Grimes. That means we have to be coached and play near perfect to be superbowl contenders for years to come.

Defense wins championships, not an offense that looks good on paper.

You can't spend the money the Falcons blow on the offense and still have enough to make significant additions to the defense. The math isn't there.

We have everyone back on offense that we need except for Weems and I have no doubts he'll be signed soon.

We've added an experienced, very good guard. We have our young center (you guys will come around on that one).

Now, instead of blowing major bucks on Mario let's look at the alternatives:

Sidbury/Biermann: Turned in 6 sacks. Add in Abe's "prime time" snaps that they weren't playing and I assure you that number will hit double digits. Will it be double digits from one guy? Not necessarily (although I really think Sidbury is due to bust out from what I saw last year). From one position? Yes. Remember what Nolan said--he'd rather have 10 guys have 4 sacks each than 1 dominant guy. There's a reason for that.

Our young secondary returns with more experience than last year and we'll probably add more youth to it in the draft.

Sure, Lofton MAY walk. If he ends up lowering his asking price--he could return. If not, trust Nolan on that one. He's done this a time or two.

Way I see it, we'll have the opportunity to add a DE, add a CB, draft a G/C, etc. It's the classic strategy of keep your own and build through the draft.

Just use a little Patience....

this sounds like Obama's "Hope & Change" theme during his presidential run.......When he got in office we got "Doom & Gloom"........just sayin'...

Don't forget that the 'stache and company held the SB champs to 7 points at halftime... so to say that there is no talent on this defense is wrong. Yes some more pieces def. need to be added but we do have guys who can play. Defense in this league has basically boiled down to being able to keep the game close, it doesn't necessarily matter the numbers. Remember the Saints/9ers playoff game, the 49ers gave up 30 some points but they were able to keep the game close and they were being praised for their def effort. The Patriots are also a prime example, their d pretty much blew last year, but they kept games close enough to win by holding teams to FG's and the offense would pull them out. If not for the mistakes in the SB they would have one it with a "shaky" defense. Lets not kid ourselves, the NFL is all about having a great offense and a "good enough" defense. Build that oline, we have all our skill players back and we'll be good to go. As much as many will hate to hear that... it's true...

"Yes" the Patriots defense sucked, so did the Packers defense - and their offense bailed them out. However, those teams have Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.....we have Matt Ryan......just sayin'...

I wasn't because I believe Hawley to be more than capable of being the starter...

Well he was just passable in his 3 starts BUT I'm willing to give him a chance.. I just want someone else on the roster. This is not a pitch for any person just a 2nd center. (at least)

Sit back and let Soliai's, Langford's, and McNeil's prices drop and sign those three. I think those would be possible even with the cap situation currently. Tie McNeil's contract to surviving year 1 to kick in after this season to keep his cap hit low now. Langford shouldn't be too much and Soliai would be the most but not absurd.

Well he was just passable in his 3 starts BUT I'm willing to give him a chance.. I just want someone else on the roster. This is not a pitch for any person just a 2nd center. (at least)

Yeah, you'll see one added--whether it's Romberg or a draft pick, there will be someone with center experience you can bet on that...