College Basketball Coaching Changes Thread

SacFalcFan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summers' girls lose to Marist.

Really, now, isn't hightime for Mr. Bad Dye Job Comeover to lose his job?

I'm not sure which is more sad. The fact that Lady Dawgs basketball has become so irrelevant or that no one really cares that they have became that way.

can we put as much into this thread instead of creating a new thread for every coaching move.

south carolina fired horn

The prevailing thoughts seem to be that we will strongly pursue Greg Marshall, the HC at Wichita State. Prior to taking the job at Wichita State Marshall was the HC at WInthrop (in Rock Hill, SC) and turned them into a mid-major powerhouse and annual participant in the NCAA tournament. He also spent several years at College of Charleston under John Kresse who did great things at CofC. Marshall is originally from Greenwood, SC. WIth all of those things coupled together along with the Gamecocks putrid performances recently Marshall is an obvious choice as a serious contender for the opening in Columbia. However there is still some serious doubt that he would take the job if it were offered to him as he seems quite happy where he is, so I guess we will see.

I loved the guy when he was at Winthrop and always wanted him to coach the Gamecocks but we did not go after him when we hired Horn and that was an error. If Marshall doesn't come to be our coach there is another guy that I've loved following for a very long time that I wish we would go after but we won't because of his age and likely health issues and that guy is Rick Majerus. Really wish we could have somehow gotten Rick in to coach our team at some point in the last 10-20 years, but it was just not meant to be, I suppose.

The prevailing thoughts seem to be that we will strongly pursue Greg Marshall, the HC at Wichita State. Prior to taking the job at Wichita State Marshall was the HC at WInthrop (in Rock Hill, SC) and turned them into a mid-major powerhouse and annual participant in the NCAA tournament. He also spent several years at College of Charleston under John Kresse who did great things at CofC. Marshall is originally from Greenwood, SC. WIth all of those things coupled together along with the Gamecocks putrid performances recently Marshall is an obvious choice as a serious contender for the opening in Columbia. However there is still some serious doubt that he would take the job if it were offered to him as he seems quite happy where he is, so I guess we will see.

I loved the guy when he was at Winthrop and always wanted him to coach the Gamecocks but we did not go after him when we hired Horn and that was an error. If Marshall doesn't come to be our coach there is another guy that I've loved following for a very long time that I wish we would go after but we won't because of his age and likely health issues and that guy is Rick Majerus. Really wish we could have somehow gotten Rick in to coach our team at some point in the last 10-20 years, but it was just not meant to be, I suppose.

I love Majerus but he obviously is not a long-term answer -- and my guess is he may prefer the less stressful world of college basketball at a program like Saint Louis. As for Marshall, I am just not sold on him yet -- to me, he may be a repackaged version of Darrin Horn. Some of those guys are top notch small school coaches where they can coach four year players up but will struggle to bring in the talent required to compete at the top level of the SEC. Guys like Horn (South Carolina from Western Kentucky), Stan Heath (Arkansas from Kent State), John Pelphrey (Arkansas from South Alabama), Tony Barbee (Auburn from Utep), Jeff Lebo (Auburn from UT-Chattanooga), and others have struggled to get over that hump.

Highly doubt Majerus would leave Saint Louis I fully expect that to be his last job. I would think Miss State will take a look at Kermit Davis who just watched his Middle Tenn State team beat the Vols and he is a MSU grad not to mention his dad coached there in the 70s

a bunch of gamecock fans want bobby knight to be their new coach.. lol that would be entertaining.

A bunch of gamecock fans are *******.

I would love for that to happen... Would find nothing more satisfying than embarrassing that piece of **** human being on the court at least twice a year...

A bunch of gamecock fans are *******.

I would love for that to happen... Would find nothing more satisfying than embarrassing that piece of **** human being on the court at least twice a year...

Gotta disagree with you here. As totally pathetic as we have been in recent years I would be happy to see Knight come in for about 3-4 years and at least get some toughness and discipline un place down in Columbia. I'm not under any illusion that Knight would make us title contenders (neither NCAA, nor SEC honestly) but we are at an all time low and the next man to take the helm needs to be able to step in and stop the bleeding.

Of course coaching the Gamecocks could possibly be the thing that ends up killing Bobby Knight too though; so there's always that to consider as well.