If Falcons Really Do Want Mario Williams And No Extra Cap Space Could Be Made Quick Enough - Could Falcons Rescind Brent Grimes Franchise Tag?

g-dawg

Do NFL teams have the right to rescind a franchise tag? seems like they would have this right at some point - would not be fair to do it in June/July but at the start of free agency when Grimes could still get his money........

I don't know the answer - does anybody else know? I'm sure it won't happen but was curious.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge you can't rescind the franchise tag, but until Grimes signs it, it does not count against the cap I believe. So we could still target Mario, and then work on a long term deal w/ Grimes, but that also gives Grimes some leverage, b/c then he could just force the Falcons hand and sign the tag. Then we'd either have to give him what he wants or quickly make some cuts.

Do NFL teams have the right to rescind a franchise tag? seems like they would have this right at some point - would not be fair to do it in June/July but at the start of free agency when Grimes could still get his money........

I don't know the answer - does anybody else know? I'm sure it won't happen but was curious.

Yes, the Falcons can absolutely rescind at any time and he would become a free agent.

Here is a link mentioning just that, about Grimes actually:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/brent-grimes-doesnt-plan-to-sign-the-franchise-tag/

To my knowledge you can't rescind the franchise tag, but until Grimes signs it, it does not count against the cap I believe. So we could still target Mario, and then work on a long term deal w/ Grimes, but that also gives Grimes some leverage, b/c then he could just force the Falcons hand and sign the tag. Then we'd either have to give him what he wants or quickly make some cuts.

my understanding is same as yours - tag does not count until player signs - but then all these "cap experts" are factoring the tag into how much money the Falcons have left.

its clear as mud....

I believe "technically" Falcons have $15 million to play with right now which excludes Grimes tag.

my understanding is same as yours - tag does not count until player signs - but then all these "cap experts" are factoring the tag into how much money the Falcons have left.

its clear as mud....

I believe "technically" Falcons have $15 million to play with right now which excludes Grimes tag.

guess its too hard for you to understand ..BRENT GRIMES HAS LEVERAGE NOW ..

He either gets a MONSTER DEAL he wants ...6 years 55 million ..

or he signs the tender and makes 10.5 this year ..

its clear as mud....

OK, you and I are on the same page. That's my understanding as well. Interesting that we may actually have the option of dropping the tag.

you are clueless brotha...

NO YOU ARE CLUELESS ..GET LOST

A transition tag is a tool used by National Football League teams to retain unrestricted free agents. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may make with another team. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless they elect to use a franchise tag instead. Transition tags can be rescinded; however, teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until the next season.

Apparently you are clueless when people are showing you can rescind the Tag and have shown proof, Grimes has no leverage in contract talks, he wants his huge deal, but falcons won't give it to him, remove tag and see how less other teams value him. He won't sign that tag.

He is not signing it... His ppl know dude is going to get paid regardless... Rather it be from us or another team

agreed. I would not expect Grimes to sign the franchise tag until halfway through training camp and right before regular season starts - that is usually when those things get signed when no long-term deal is worked out.

If history is the barometer.