Cap Deadline Question

Understood, but after start of league year can't they go over temporarily as long as they are back under by another date?

Yes, they can. Every team is allowed to increase their roster to 80 players and then have to gradually cut it down during the Preseason, getting back below the cap by the 53 man roster deadline prior to the start of the regular season.

I believe teams can go over the cap immediately starting FA at 4pm today. They do not have to stay below the cap while they adjust their rosters, they just have to be back below it by the next deadline. I'm not 100%, but this is the way that I believe it works.

Yes, they can. Every team is allowed to increase their roster to 80 players and then have to gradually cut it down during the Preseason, getting back below the cap by the 53 man roster deadline prior to the start of the regular season.

I believe teams can go over the cap immediately starting FA at 4pm today. They do not have to stay below the cap while they adjust their rosters, they just have to be back below it by the next deadline. I'm not 100%, but this is the way that I believe it works.

Thanks. That is what I thought, but was not sure when they had to be back under the cap.

This means that we can still be active in free agency as long as we have a contingency plan to be under before season start.

I think your correct, and I think they got until June 1st. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Falcons 'til Death

Sorry I borrowed your response and used it in a different thread --of course I gave credit to you.

Teams have to stay under the cap at all times once the league year starts, but only the top 51 salaries count.

If you really think about it that does not contridict what Pzummo said

the #52-80 players could put you well over the cap limit at any given time

which is nearly the same as he was saying

Teams can make deals, just not finalize or announce them until they made further cap room if its needed?

Yes.

Well that's not true or teams wouldn't be allowed to start FA over the cap and about 5 teams are.

All of those teams had to do something to take care of that before 4 PM today.