Did Grimes Cost The Falcons A Chance At Williams?/ Who Would You Rather Have On The Roster? Grimes Or Williams?

First off I just want to say I've never been a huge supporter of resigning Grimes this off season. I know the guy has been solid for the Falcons over the past 2 or 3 seasons. But after injury problems, missing games and season ending knee surgery I was really against it. I just rationalize it as this. Grimes is undersized at 5'8 maybe 5'9 on a good day, but he has always made up for it with his athletic ability. Now he's had surgery on the same knee that has cost him games over the last two seasons.

Even still going into the off season I thought maybe if they can get him at the right price(4-5) million a year. Negative.. The dude wants to command money that Robinson received 2 years ago. Obviously the Falcons didn't want to give him that, but at the same time didn't want him to hit the market either, so they had to tag him. The problem is the tag for a CB this year is at 10 million.

So factor that 10 million into the Falcons cap room that already was eaten up by Biermann, Tatupu, Snelling... etc. Obviously the 10 million dollar franchise tag took up 1/3 of the Falcons cap space they had this off season. Which in turn cost them any chance of signing Williams...(as of now)

Your thoughts?

We have a real NFL DC now, and if he saw Grimes as a priority over Williams then I am ok with it, even though I am not sure where the pass rush is going to come from at this point. I know FA hasn't started yet, but I am a little disturbed looking at our cap figure, and then looking at our team.

Guest Gritz

We have a real NFL DC now, and if he saw Grimes as a priority over Williams then I am ok with it, even though I am not sure where the pass rush is going to come from at this point. I know FA hasn't started yet, but I am a little disturbed looking at our cap figure, and then looking at our team.

Yeah....unless some major behind-the-scenes maneuvering is going on at Flowery Branch it looks like (with the exception of Tatupu) we have used up the majority of our cap keeping the same team that got us bounced 24-2 in the first round of the playoffs.

Hardly inspiring.

Yeah....unless some major behind-the-scenes maneuvering is going on at Flowery Branch it looks like (with the exception of Tatupu) we have used up the majority of our cap keeping the same team that got us bounced 24-2 in the first round of the playoffs.

Hardly inspiring.

what would you have rather done? cut and let all of them walk for the likes of Nicks and Mario?

I will probably have to say this 100 times this week, but it is NOT Grimes fault if the team doesnt get Mario Williams.

If TD KNEW he wanted Mario, he wouldnt have tagged Grimes if it would have ruined his chances.

GRIMES DID NOT TAG HIMSELF! the team made Grimes their highest priority of the offseason by taggin him....period!

TD probabaly realizes it isnt worth 15M per season t sign a guy who has been injuered 2 straight seasons, and only has 1 season of 15+ sacks.

I will probably have to say this 100 times this week, but it is NOT Grimes fault if the team doesnt get Mario Williams.

If TD KNEW he wanted Mario, he wouldnt have tagged Grimes if it would have ruined his chances.

GRIMES DID NOT TAG HIMSELF! the team made Grimes their highest priority of the offseason by taggin him....period!

TD probabaly realizes it isnt worth 15M per season t sign a guy who has been injuered 2 straight seasons, and only has 1 season of 15+ sacks.

Actually zero seasons of 15+ sacks.

Grimes' tag amount of $10.6M is not concrete on the books yet because he hasn't signed the tag and the season hasn't started. So no, Grimes hasn't cost the team Williams.

What would Grimes gain from signing the tender if he knew it would ruin the chance of getting a dominant DE? Nothing. Signing Williams will help make Grimes' job easier and Grimes knows that. Sign the tender and you can't even get Abe back.

Grimes' tag amount of $10.6M is not concrete on the books yet because he hasn't signed the tag and the season hasn't started. So no, Grimes hasn't cost the team Williams.

What would Grimes gain from signing the tender if he knew it would ruin the chance of getting a dominant DE? Nothing. Signing Williams will help make Grimes' job easier and Grimes knows that. Sign the tender and you can't even get Abe back.

Signing the tender puts the onus on the team to work a long term deal to free up cap space. It also eliminates the possibility of the Falcons yanking the offer.

I will be seriously disappointed if Brent Grimes gets paid $10 million for this season, when he's a $5-6 million a year CB in my eyes at best. I honestly would rather have paid Carlos Rogers, Courtland Finnegan or Brandon Carr $7 million a year for 3-4 years wiht incentives, than Brent Grimes $10 million for 1 year.

I just don't see Grimes getting any better than he already is. I think he's peaked. I could see him taking a step back after knee surgery, and I could totally see him slack off after getting paid. Frankly, if we were going to pay someone $10 million for one more year, I would rather keep Abe for another year.

Signing the tender puts the onus on the team to work a long term deal to free up cap space. It also eliminates the possibility of the Falcons yanking the offer.

How many times has a team rescinded the tag to let the player free to FA? The Falcons aren't going to do that or they wouldn't have tagged Grimes to begin with. They both have intentions on a long term deal. Sign the tag and the Falcons can walk away from the table and no long term deal. Then you go into FA next year as a 30 year old corner. Not pretty.

Just because they slapped the tag on Grimes doesn't mean much this time of the year really, it's just a deterent from keeping another team from signing him away from us. If they do try, they have to fork over a first round pick as compensation. Which leaves the Falcons who can put Grimes on the back burner while they take care of their other needs.

At some point later this month probably within the next 10 to 14 days they'll make contact with his agent, to set up peliminary talks, just to get a feeling where each party stands. From there I can see 6 possible scenarios that will happen.

( 1 ) They both agree on a multi-year deal. Which means he'll get less a year than the $ 10.6 million he would've gotten had he signed the tag. Typically, players look at the total money and the guarnteed money at each deal as opposed to what their making in any one year.

( 2 ) The team can trade him. If the Falcons and him can't agree on a long term deal and the team feels he's serious about not signing the tender, they will more than likely put him on the trade block probably a day or two from the draft and start taking bids on him. Remember they have a first round tender on him. Though the team might be willing to vary the compensation a tad. They may take the point value of the 32nd pick of the first round like a high 2nd and 4th.

( 3 ) The team can remove the tag. At anytime. However, the moment they do he becomes a un-restricted free agent and can sign with any team, at which the Falcons lose the first rounder on him and get a comp pick instead. More than likely a 3rd. Out of the 6 this scenario is the least likely to happen.

( 4 ) He signs the tender. He shows up to camp on time, learns Nolan's defense, has a good year and earns his $ 10.6 million. However, at the end of the year he's right back in the same boat as this offseason. The team may tag him again, they may again try to sign him long term, or they can chose to let him walk away.

( 5 ) He signs late. He can skip the OTA's and TC . . . . that's his choice. But he's going to be subjected to hefty fines for each day of camp that he misses. If he waits toward the end of camp or quite possibly the eve of the regular season to sign it, he's behind everyone else.

New DC+ new defense+ 0 camp time = behind everybody else. If this were to happen, it could be mid season before he's ready to play. And if he starts out slow, this gamble could cost him millions next year.

( 6 ) He does not sign. He's already gone on record to say he won't sign the tender. There's nothing he can do to get the team to remove the tag, their in the driver's seat. Either he signs long term, signs the tender, or accept a trade. Only other option is for him to sit out the season and that would be a stupid, stupid move for him to make. He'll likely get much less and he'll be on the wrong side of 30 where the likelihood of a long term deal diminishes with each passing year.

In the end if the Falcons think that options 5 or 6 are a very real possiblity and there's no way out then they should go ahead and put him on the block to see what they can get for him. It might be wise because either of those two scenarios has the potential to be one big ******* headache.

How many times has a team rescinded the tag to let the player free to FA? The Falcons aren't going to do that or they wouldn't have tagged Grimes to begin with. They both have intentions on a long term deal. Sign the tag and the Falcons can walk away from the table and no long term deal. Then you go into FA next year as a 30 year old corner. Not pretty.

You have already pointed out how much it would hurt the Falcons to do so.

You have already pointed out how much it would hurt the Falcons to do so.

Exactly. If Grimes signs the tender, they miss out on Williams or any real FAs. At that point, what would incline the Falcons to continue to work on a deal when Grimes essentially screwed them?

Despite the ambiguous statement by Grimes' agent, I suspect Grimes willl sign the tender today.

As everyone has pointed out, 10.6 is a steep price for him. Even I agree with that. So he'd be a dumbazz not to immediately sign that tender when it is twice as much money as he has made in his entire career up til now.

Exactly. If Grimes signs the tender, they miss out on Williams or any real FAs. At that point, what would incline the Falcons to continue to work on a deal when Grimes essentially screwed them?

UM....to free up cap space. I thought that was obvious.

I just think people totally underestimate how difficult it is to get a corner with the type of ball skills that Grimes has. Yes, he's undersized, but in my entire lifetime I've seen two Falcon corners with this type of ability to play the ball in the air. One is Grimes. And the other wore #21 and is in Canton. I've said it before, but if you could magically give Brent Grimes 4" of height he'd be a perennial probowler and HOF cornerback.

These type guys just don't come around that often. There are a TON of corners who can "hand fight" down the field and draw interference penalties. Believe me, we've had dozens of them over the years. But Brent is different. HE PLAYS THE BALL. He's not overly concerned with the receiver. His focus is on finding the pass and timing his play to arrive at the ball in the pinnacle of his leap. THAT is why he is a great defender. And that is why he is unique in today's NFL.

So, yes, it's possible that BG cost us a shot at Mario. But I don't think we had a choice here. It's called "franchise" for a reason.