Baker? Ovie? Where Are The Cuts?

I need some education on this whole cap business. If i am incorrect on my assumptions, please correct me

Teams have to be under the cap before free agency (today)

Can teams then go over the cap with signings today only to be forced under the cap, again, at a later date?

I ask because many of us expected some names to be cut (Baker,Ovie) but since we are now under the cap can the team go over the cap with FA signings and then release those guys on June 2 when it makes their cap hit cost less??

If not then there is no way we can get involved in a Mario deal or any top tier free agent signing.

Look even if they Cut Ovie and Baker there are still other positions to work on that will eat up a good portion of all of the $$$

Offense

1) there is only 1 center on the roster they need to sign at least 1 more. Be it McClure, Romberg or a draft pick or a UFA.

2)They need to sign a backup QB, right now there is only JPW --be it Redman, or another UFA they need an experienced backup QB.

3) they need to sign a slot receiver, right now they have Meier. There is Cone and Davis but they are more outside receivers than slot men.

4)????Replace Baker??? --if they cut him there will only be 1OLT Svitek they need to sign a replacement for Baker if they cut him.

so there is several $$$M there--------

now moving on to the Defense

1) They need to sign at least 1 DT there are only Babs, Peters, Jerry now they need 1 more

2)They need to finalize Grimes either he signs the tag or they work out a contract

3) They possibly need a backup SS right now there is only Tuimaunei.

4) NOW the DE situation -- they possibly need to sign a DE they only have 4 and they normally carry 5. Wheather they sign a starter (ie Abe or Mario or someone else) or go with Bierman or Sidbury as a starter then they need another backup.

So that's a lot of needs to be taken care of--------- you can not spend all of the money on 1` position.

Edited by delaigle

Look even if they Cut Ovie and Baker there are still other positions to work on that will eat up a good portion of all of the $$$

Offense

1) there is only 1 center on the roster they need to sign at least 1 more. Be it McClure, Romberg or a draft pick or a UFA.

2)They need to sign a backup QB, right now there is only JPW --be it Redman, or another UFA they need an experienced backup QB.

3) they need to sign a slot receiver, right now they have Meier. There is Cone and Davis but they are more outside receivers than slot men.

4)????Replace Baker??? --if they cut him there will only be 1OLT Svitek they need to sign a replacement for Baker if they cut him.

1) They need to sign at least 1 DT ther are only Babs, Peters, Jerry now they need 1 more

2)They need to finalize Grimes either he signs the tag or they work out a contract

4) NOW the DE situation -- they possibly need to sign a DE they only have 4 and they normally carry 5. Wheather they sign a starter (ie Abe or Mario or someone else) or go with Bierman or Sidbury as a starter then they need another backup.

So that's a lot of needs to be taken care of--------- you can spend all of the money on 1` position.

Where did all the money go its not like we have Tom Brady or anything

Where did all the money go its not like we have Tom Brady or anything

Well they are saying there is $5.7M available ion cap space and cutting Ovie and Baker will get about $5M

so $10.7M sounds good -- but if divided equally between those 8 needs it's just $1.3M each for those 8 players

and yea I know it won't be divided equally but it still shows the point.

Edited by delaigle

Offense

1) They need to sign at least 1 DT there are only Babs, Peters, Jerry now they need 1 more

So that's a lot of needs to be taken care of--------- you can not spend all of the money on 1` position.

offense:

1) I hope they bring back McClure, but I think the staff thinks it is Hawley time. I could see Romberg back cheap.

2) I agree the team needs a backup. I hope it is not Redman. He was terrible in cleanup duty. came in for 2 games where the team had 40+ points, and didnt score a single TD, pathetic.

3) It sounds like HD is being brought back for the slot. I am glad to have him, but I think Weems could have done the job just fine for less. If decent money was going to be spent there were better options than HD.

4) Baker isnt going anywhere until his replacement is found. If a UFA OT is brought in, he will be cut. If it is a rookie, he will be on the roster at least through camps to get a feel if he is expendable.

defense:

1) Walker is a RFA, so I expect him back cheap. He could be a relacement for Babs or Jerry next season.

2) Grimes will get a deal. I read the sticking point is years not dollars. that is a good thing. I think he wants 5, they want 3. They will settle in the middle somwhere. They also could be holding off on a deal, because having him tagged just gives them time to iron out the CAP and roster before signing him.

3) Sanders is thre as a FS/SS backup potentially. This is a position I see them letting sit until the drat and filling it later in UFA.

4) They also have Matthews as a backup, who they really liked last season. I dont think Mario is the guy. I see them either getting Kendall Langford or Mark Anderson...or waiting for Abes value to drop when the market opens and bring him back.

I would love to see them go 3-4 now, it would be cheaper to piece together the whole front 7 than to sign Mario. And it would allow cap room to be opened up if Babs doesnt fit (and maybe land a mid round pick in trade).

offense:

1) I hope they bring back McClure, but I think the staff thinks it is Hawley time. I could see Romberg back cheap.

2) I agree the team needs a backup. I hope it is not Redman. He was terrible in cleanup duty. came in for 2 games where the team had 40+ points, and didnt score a single TD, pathetic.

3) It sounds like HD is being brought back for the slot. I am glad to have him, but I think Weems could have done the job just fine for less. If decent money was going to be spent there were better options than HD.

4) Baker isnt going anywhere until his replacement is found. If a UFA OT is brought in, he will be cut. If it is a rookie, he will be on the roster at least through camps to get a feel if he is expendable.

defense:

1) Walker is a RFA, so I expect him back cheap. He could be a relacement for Babs or Jerry next season. Walker is a RFA and is not currently on the roster musr be re-signed -still the min for him is about $1.25M

2) Grimes will get a deal. I read the sticking point is years not dollars. that is a good thing. I think he wants 5, they want 3. They will settle in the middle somwhere. They also could be holding off on a deal, because having him tagged just gives them time to iron out the CAP and roster before signing him.

3) Sanders is thre as a FS/SS backup potentially. This is a position I see them letting sit until the drat and filling it later in UFA. Sanders is a UFA not currently on ther roster must be re-signed

4) They also have Matthews as a backup, who they really liked last season. I dont think Mario is the guy. I see them either getting Kendall Langford or Mark Anderson...or waiting for Abes value to drop when the market opens and bring him back. There is still only 4 I went as Edwards/Matthews -- Bierman/Sidbury

I would love to see them go 3-4 now, it would be cheaper to piece together the whole front 7 than to sign Mario. And it would allow cap room to be opened up if Babs doesnt fit (and maybe land a mid round pick in trade).

I know the guys must be re-signed. I was just mentioning how I thought the issues would be handled. there are affordable solutions out there.

Of all of them though, I think Walker MUST be kept. He is a very good DT for this team, and could be a starter someday.

I wasnt disagreeing with your points, merely commenting on them.

I know the guys must be re-signed. I was just mentioning how I thought the issues would be handled. there are affordable solutions out there.

Of all of them though, I think Walker MUST be kept. He is a very good DT for this team, and could be a starter someday.

I wasnt disagreeing with your points, merely commenting on them.

OH I fully understood, I did not take your comments in any kind of negative light, I was just emphasizing that $$$ needs to be spend on these positions and like there is a min salary to re-sign Walker there are Vet mins to re-sign players like Sanders..And to cover all of these needs it's going to take a good bit of money

The Matthews thing was just to show I had not forgotten about him.

Note the bold was just to distinguish yours from mine

Edited by delaigle

I appreciate the responses but I am still looking for an answer to my original question.

I realize their are plenty of gaps to be filled but as it stands right now, we wont even be able to stick our toe into the free agency pool let alone dive in head first.

Can we go over the cap now and make cuts later to bring us back under?

Mario and Nicks might not be possible but there are certainly some excellent players out there who wont command 12 mil a year that can help this team. Will we be in a position to get any of them? Can the cap be exceeded until we have to pare down to 53 in September?

Do we have to be back under the cap come draft day?

There might be many possibilites that we arent aware of that could make some good signings possible. Maybe TD can pull a rabbit from his hat if there are opportunites to move outside the cap for a certain time frame.

I do not think we are going to cut Baker, Mughelli seems like a given because we have replacements and full backs come and go all the time. Snelling is more than capable and actually makes our offense a lot more dynamic with a RB playing FB and Cox can be the back up and block. Not worth $3 million when we don't even know if he's healthy enough to play.

According to PZUMMO in the thread on cap deadlines

""Yes, they can. Every team is allowed to increase their roster to 80 players and then have to gradually cut it down during the Preseason, getting back below the cap by the 53 man roster deadline prior to the start of the regular season.

I believe teams can go over the cap immediately starting FA at 4pm today. They do not have to stay below the cap while they adjust their rosters, they just have to be back below it by the next deadline. I'm not 100%, but this is the way that I believe it works.""

However PEYTON added (in the same thread)

according to him A team must stay under the cap all year long-- using only the top 51 salaries.

so I do not see a conflict in the 2 statements

the #52-80 players can have you over the cap limit at any given time but when you get dsow to the last cut you have to be under the limit

Edited by delaigle