Mayor Kasim Reed Just Said...

Here is a link...

http://www.11alive.c...pen-air-stadium

Excerpt:

ATLANTA (WXIA) -- It was a press conference set for something else, but Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed nearly stole the show in Vine City when he spoke of his hopes to bring an open-air stadium to the area.

We have been hearing from various officials that initial moves are taking place that would create an open-air stadium in the city of Atlanta -- a stadium that would be the new home of the Atlanta Falcons as early as 2017.

On Monday, Mayor Reed all but promised that stadium to the people of Vine City.

He was there to dedicate the new Super Walmart, itself a big get that officials say will bring hundreds of jobs and solve that community's need for fresh and healthy food. But three minutes into his prepared remarks, Reed said, "And I'm telling you, I'm promising you, you haven't seen anything yet. Not far from here, in a little while, we're going to start having a conversation about building a world-class stadium; it's gonna involve an

investment hopefully in excess of $750-800 million that's gonna be invested right across the way."

The mayor has spoken of his support for an open-air stadium in interviews, but it's rare that he has spoken about it unprovoked.

Edited by jesushchristo

I'd rather sit near the person in your photo than an open air stadium!

Scratch that...I'm a happily married, loyal husband who had a moment of weakness. Why oh why did the good Lord give us men two brains at opposite ends of our torso?

I'm with you on this one. We can dream can't we?

Scratch that...I'm a happily married, loyal husband who had a moment of weakness. Why oh why did the good Lord give us men two brains at opposite ends of our torso?

Haha - No doubt. I'm a retractable roof kinda guy, myself. And love the boobies.. ;p

I agree with the retractable roof. I don't see many Atlanta fans going for extreme heat or the cold winter rains we have. I think an open-air stadium would be a huge mistake!

With all the talk of keeping both Ga Dome and the new stadium - I wonder if they would play in the Dome if bad weather was slated for the weekend of a game and play in the new stadium in good weather.....NAAAH. Not for all that cheese. A retractable roof just makes sense.

....Then again, Seattle, the rainiest state in the country has a pretty awesome open-air stadium and they have no lack of attendance. - ****, they aren't even good...

With all the talk of keeping both Ga Dome and the new stadium - I wonder if they would play in the Dome if bad weather was slated for the weekend of a game and play in the new stadium in good weather.....NAAAH. Not for all that cheese. A retractable roof just makes sense.

....Then again, Seattle, the rainiest state in the country has a pretty awesome open-air stadium and they have no lack of attendance. - ****, they aren't even good...

blink.png

Just a FYI - it rains as much in Atlanta as it does in Seattle.

Guest Negatorris

Seattle is up north and they are used to it. Their stadium is pretty freaking nice and its built to keep the sound. We need a retractable roof. Just look at our record outside vs inside. They need to see what's best for the team, and stop worrying about us hosting a SB so Atlanta can get money...

Guys, people who can make it to the games. Just show up, if your a fan and want to show your colours just show up. Regardless of the stadium. You can only do your part as a fan. I in no hurry can make any game as I do not have the available income but if could go to the games regularly I for **** sure go out and support my birds.

blink.png

Just a FYI - it rains as much in Atlanta as it does in Seattle.

I hear ya - But Seattle is known as "The Rain City" and Atlanta is not. My point is mainly that an open air stadium sounds like a drag, but it can work no matter what the weather is like. Fans tend to embrace it after a while, - Then again, I never sat through a game at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium in January...lol

I swear we the only city that complain about an open-air stadium, I don't hear Chief, Dolphins, Jets,Giants, Packers, Bears, Eagle, Redkins or any outdoor team fans complain about weather. I think it's an excuse, and don't wanna hear the sorry explaintion "their use to it cra.p". Everyone gets cold, everyone gets hot, suck it up. I was at Atlanta Fulton Co stadium, and yes I froze my butt off. I was so into the game I never notice. Tampa Bay fans pack Raymond James every Sunday, and it's stupid heat....never heard a fan down their say "Dam, I'm not going to the game, I hate sweating"/

I swear we the only city that complain about an open-air stadium, I don't hear Chief, Dolphins, Jets,Giants, Packers, Bears, Eagle, Redkins or any outdoor team fans complain about weather. I think it's an excuse, and don't wanna hear the sorry explaintion "their use to it cra.p". Everyone gets cold, everyone gets hot, suck it up. I was at Atlanta Fulton Co stadium, and yes I froze my butt off. I was so into the game I never notice. Tampa Bay fans pack Raymond James every Sunday, and it's stupid heat....never heard a fan down their say "Dam, I'm not going to the game, I hate sweating"/

I wouldn't say they are packing rayjay. Tampa has horrible attendance.

Guys, people who can make it to the games. Just show up, if your a fan and want to show your colours just show up. Regardless of the stadium. You can only do your part as a fan. I in no hurry can make any game as I do not have the available income but if could go to the games regularly I for **** sure go out and support my birds.

Yea, I don't get it. I would love to have the opportunity to see the Falcons on Sunday. If I lived closer (than DC) I would be there every home game.

You can window shop, QB. Just don't make a purchase LOL

Open-Air stadium HAS to have something to do with a desire to bring a Professional Soccer team to the A....Thoughts?

I agree. But I would love to see the Falcons playing home games outdoors where football is meant to be play. The Ga Dome would still be used for events such as the SEC Championship Game and big time basketball events.

Open-Air stadium HAS to have something to do with a desire to bring a Professional Soccer team to the A....Thoughts?

We couldn't even keep an NHL team here with our fickle fans (I love ATL..Born and raised but the majority of our "fans" are horrendous for support) albeit that had alot to do with the dipsh!ts of the Atlanta Spirit but still. Our support for a MLS team would be hilarious.

One big reason for a new stadium is to host a Super Bowl. The league has certain requirements that the Dome doesn't meet. I'm for new with a retractable roof for severe storms, etc.