680 The Fan Commentator Just Said...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If we sign Grimes to a 4-5 year deal, we can probably get him about 5 - 6 mil guarenteed this year, which would add 4-5 mil to our Cap space this year.

If we cut Baker / Ovie (or restructure their contracts), we can save 5 mil against the cap space.

Those two moves alone could get us Mario Williams.

In TD we trust.

He believes that, "the Dunta contract restructure was done in order to free up $$ to offer Grimes a long term contract."

Hopefully this is true. It would mean that 10M (Grime's Franchise Tag) won't hit against the cap. Correct?

Kincaide doesn't know sheot........

Dunta restructuring does not necessarily have anything to do with Brent Grimes - it helps the team for the 2012 cap - but the cap savings could be used in 100 different ways...

If we sign Grimes to a 4-5 year deal, we can probably get him about 5 - 6 mil guarenteed this year, which would add 4-5 mil to our Cap space this year.

If we cut Baker / Ovie (or restructure their contracts), we can save 5 mil against the cap space.

Those two moves alone could get us Mario Williams.

In TD we trust.

BU QB,Safety, C, OT, Nickel, and slot wr, will need money and draft 3.3 mill so slow down

But wouldn't that make sense? Right now, Grimes 10M is hitting the cap correct?

no, it makes no sense at all. Falcons are not looking to do anything with Brent Grimes at all right now - they may wait until June/July - right now the Falcons control Brent Grimes and there are no cap implications UNTIL Grimes signs the offer sheet. Grimes won't sign it until much, much later.....

Therefore, NO it makes no sense that re-structuring Dunta had anything to do w/ Brent Grimes - simple logic - when you look at all the facts.

Disagree. I think Grimes is priority #1 right now.

If we met him in the middle, and offered him a 5-6 mil guarenteed a year deal, we still save plenty of money, and have locked down a starting CB for atleast 3 years. Not to mention, his deal would most likely be backloaded, which could mean he could get as low as 3-4 mil this year guarenteed against the cap.

Even if he gets 7 mil, that still saves us almost 4 mil right there.

Why would our most expensive thing hitting our cap right now (almost 11 mil) not be priority #1?

The only other dude making more money than that is Ryan, and I think the conensus right now is his restructuring is going to wait another year.

If we met him in the middle, and offered him a 5-6 mil guarenteed a year deal, we still save plenty of money, and have locked down a starting CB for atleast 3 years. Not to mention, his deal would most likely be backloaded, which could mean he could get as low as 3-4 mil this year guarenteed against the cap.

Why would our most expensive thing hitting our cap right now (almost 11 mil) not be priority #1?

The only other dude making more money than that is Ryan, and I think the conensus right now is his restructuring is going to wait another year.

This. Resigning Grimes has to be priority #1 t to get rid of that 10 mil cap hit. If we can knock 3-4 mil off that and then cut Ovie + Baker thats almost an extra 10 mil in cap space just from a few quick moves.

you are so far off its impossible to even engage you.........Brent Grimes will never - I repeat NEVER - sign a contract that averages $5-6 million - Grimes will average at least $8million/yr on a deal and the deal will have to be at least 4-5 years - or he will simply play out the franchise tag.

Grimes is not worth $10.6 million but his market value is very much worth $8million/yr.

no, it makes no sense at all. Falcons are not looking to do anything with Brent Grimes at all right now - they may wait until June/July - right now the Falcons control Brent Grimes and there are no cap implications UNTIL Grimes signs the offer sheet. Grimes won't sign it until much, much later.....

Therefore, NO it makes no sense that re-structuring Dunta had anything to do w/ Brent Grimes - simple logic - when you look at all the facts.

Okay, so his 10M is hitting the cap this year?

you are so far off its impossible to even engage you.........Brent Grimes will never - I repeat NEVER - sign a contract that averages $5-6 million - Grimes will average at least $8million/yr on a deal and the deal will have to be at least 4-5 years - or he will simply play out the franchise tag.

Grimes is not worth $10.6 million but his market value is very much worth $8million/yr.

His post clearly says 5-6 mil a year GUARANTEED.

he is the main priorty, but he wnt be had for 6per, TD has already said he thinks grimes is worth 10 per

If he only signs his tender (which will be in late July if I had to guess), then yes it will. If they sign a long-term deal, then no the cap hit will instead be whatever is worked out in the long-term deal.

Either way, restructuring Dunta doesn't help signing Grimes to a long-term deal at all. As I said, that would lower his cap hit and therefore creating extra space to sign him and bring his cap hit down makes no sense.

I just don't see Grimes getting 40 mil Guarenteed. What has he done to get that kind of money?

He is ranked high, sure, but he hasn't made the Pro-Bowls, All-Pros (1st or 2nd team) that others have, that aren't making that much money. Don't get me wrong, I love Grimes (I wanted a Grimes jersey all last season, but I wasn't sure if he was comming back.. Now i'm getting one), but You gotta think that TD is trying to get him down to atleast 6 mil a year the first couple of years.

Even if he does get 40 mil guarenteed, we could structure the contact so he gets 5 mil first year, 7 mil second year, 9 mil third, etc, so we have more to play with this year.

It very doable. Even an 8 mil a year cap would save us 3 mil, which every little bit helps.

yes, the cap hit will count against the 2012 Falcons cap - but not until he signs it. So, while the cap hit will EVENTUALLY count against the Falcons - it does not count right now - TODAY - and it won't count anytime in March.

"Yes" Falcons will eventually have to deal w/ Brent Grimes, but not now, not today, not tomorrow, not in March - Falcons have to be under the salary cap at specific times but the franchise tenders don't officially count against cap until the player signs them.

understand?

His post clearly says 5-6 mil a year GUARANTEED.

you don't equate guaranteed money in annual increments - the contract offers guaranteed monies and is reported as a lump amount.

typically the best negotiated deals for the top players include guarantees between 35%-50% of the total contract value.

I just don't see Grimes getting 40 mil Guarenteed. What has he done to get that kind of money?

He is ranked high, sure, but he hasn't made the Pro-Bowls, All-Pros (1st or 2nd team) that others have, that aren't making that much money. Don't get me wrong, I love Grimes (I wanted a Grimes jersey all last season, but I wasn't sure if he was comming back.. Now i'm getting one), but You gotta think that TD is trying to get him down to atleast 6 mil a year the first couple of years.

Even if he does get 40 mil guarenteed, we could structure the contact so he gets 5 mil first year, 7 mil second year, 9 mil third, etc, so we have more to play with this year.

It very doable. Even an 8 mil a year cap would save us 3 mil, which every little bit helps.

never said Grimes would get $40 million guaranteed - read what I write please.

My guess:

5yrs $40 million with $19 million guaranteed.