Texas Voter Law Blocked By Obama

Dago 3.0

can anybody explain why our government wouldn't want to require people to show proof of who they are and that they are eligible to vote? I don't want to jump to a conclusion because there may be an aspect to this that I am missing.

Deisel....please don't answer. Not trying to be rude, but I already know what your opinion is. Even if you are right, this thread would degenerate into a bash Deisel thread and nobody would answer.

http://news.yahoo.co...-161037385.html

Edited by Dago 3.0

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's right there in the article:

In Texas, the Justice Department said that potential voters would have to have two other identification documents to get a certificate allowing them to vote, which could require paying expensive fees for copies of legal documents such as birth certificates.

Additionally, nearly one third of the counties in the state do not have offices where potential voters can obtain a driver's license or state identification card and some residents live more than 100 miles away, the Justice Department said.

Efforts to educate voters about the new identification requirements were also incomplete and the state did not submit any evidence of voter impersonation not already addressed under existing state laws, the administration said.

It's right there in the article:

In Texas, the Justice Department said that potential voters would have to have two other identification documents to get a certificate allowing them to vote, which could require paying expensive fees for copies of legal documents such as birth certificates.

Additionally, nearly one third of the counties in the state do not have offices where potential voters can obtain a driver's license or state identification card and some residents live more than 100 miles away, the Justice Department said.

Efforts to educate voters about the new identification requirements were also incomplete and the state did not submit any evidence of voter impersonation not already addressed under existing state laws, the administration said.

I can understand that.

However, Texas is not the only state that this is occurring in and you don't have the same issue with the offices in the smaller states

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-14/voting-rights-id/53160530/1

There are many services that I am required to show valid ID by our government and, IMO, none of them are as important as the right to vote.

Guest Deisel

You have to show a drivers license to buy alchohol and drive. This episode Is Not another example of Big brother Dems looking after the poor and stupid, which is what it pretends to do. Who doesn't have drivers licenses? Illegals... If you try and say the elderly, well I'd say theyve been around Way long enough to have multiple forms of ID and knowledge. I think this pandering is obvious.

because fake IDs/drivers license' are SO hard to get.

well based on that line of reasoning, we shouldn't bother with IDs at all then. Just take anybody driving a car at their word when they tell you their name....go ahead and accept that the kid who looks like he is 12 is really 21 and sell him a fifth of Jack

well based on that line of reasoning, we shouldn't bother with IDs at all then. Just take anybody driving a car at their word when they tell you their name....go ahead and accept that the kid who looks like he is 12 is really 21 and sell him a fifth of Jack

For the record, I am for the ID for voting law. Just like I agree its a smart political move to make it looks like the gOP hates poor people and minorities.

I don't see how needing an ID hurts poor people, because you need an ID to get welfare etc..

Of course its a political move by the WH. But not so they can secure illegal voters.Fake id's are way too easy to acquire to believe its for that reason. Its simply a game of " we love you and those guys hate you " in other words politics as usual. I mean, I know you don't think the GOP is thinking this will stop people from voting. They want their voters to think " they hate you we love you" just like the other side.

For the record, I am for the ID for voting law. Just like I agree its a smart political move to make it looks like the gOP hates poor people and minorities.

I don't see how needing an ID hurts poor people, because you need an ID to get welfare etc..

Of course its a political move by the WH. But not so they can secure illegal voters.Fake id's are way too easy to acquire to believe its for that reason. Its simply a game of " we love you and those guys hate you " in other words politics as usual. I mean, I know you don't think the GOP is thinking this will stop people from voting. They want their voters to think " they hate you we love you" just like the other side.

thank you for illustrating the point that a few of us try to make so often. our politicians are more interested in one upping each other and their struggle for power than actually doing what is right for America

thank you for illustrating the point that a few of us try to make so often. our politicians are more interested in one upping each other and their struggle for power than actually doing what is right for America

Ive never thought otherwise.The reasoning behind most of my political posts here is simple really. Many of the " conservatives" on this board are just the worst examples of conservatism. I honestly don't see any libs here making post after post that would make them perfect examples of " godless lib hates America" But a couple of the cons? They are just parodies of conservatism, chest thumping troglodytes., so they are attacked by me more than libs are. But yea, I understand the actual politicians are lying SOS that have never given us a second thought. Its all politics, nothing is shocking.

Good. Considering what happened in Florida in 2000 with a certain race being defaulted out of the booth, bad timing for this Texas law right before an election.

You must be blind to not be suspicious of the timing of this law. You're also blind to not see the persecution going on in Arizona and Texas.dry.png

Edited by {Mojo-Risin}

http://en.wikipedia....ting_Rights_Act

Section 5 of the Act requires that the United States Department of Justice, through an administrative procedure, or a three-judge panel of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, through a declaratory judgment action "preclear" any attempt to change “any voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure with respect to voting..." in any "covered jurisdiction."[5] The Supreme Court gave a broad interpretation to the words "any voting qualification or prerequisite to voting" in Allen v. State Board of Election, 393 U.S. 544 (1969). A covered jurisdiction that seeks to obtain Section 5 Preclearance, either from the United States Attorney General or the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, must demonstrate that a proposed voting change does not have the purpose and will not have the effect of discriminating based on race or color. In some cases, they must also show that the proposed change does not have the purpose or effect of discriminating against a "language minority group." Membership in a language minority group includes "persons who are American Indian, Asian American, Alaskan Natives or of Spanish heritage." The burden of proof under current Section 5 jurisprudence is on the covered jurisdiction to establish that the proposed change does not have a retrogressive purpose.

Us_s5_cvr08.PNG

It was renewed in 2006 under a Republican house and senate. Blaming Obama's administration for enforcement seems silly.

I don't see why it's a big issue for people to produce photo id's to vote...My son plays pee-wee football and he has to have a state issued photo id to even participate in the league..It's such a ridiculous issue to even be debating to me and I lean more to the "liberal" side on most issues..It takes 15 bucks and a couple of hours of your time to have done..If you can't find your birth certificate you can contact the records department and have a copy sent for another 15 dollars...

It's not about needing an ID. It's about which ID is required and how much it costs to get one. Read the article from the OP.

I can understand that.

However, Texas is not the only state that this is occurring in and you don't have the same issue with the offices in the smaller states

http://www.usatoday....s-id/53160530/1

There are many services that I am required to show valid ID by our government and, IMO, none of them are as important as the right to vote.

Let's take Georgia's law as an example. Given the following facts, please explain how the ultimate concern could possibly be voter fraud.

The original bill required citizens to pay $20 for a state issued ID if they did not have a driver's license. Citizens could not go to the DMV to get the ID and the areas where the ID's were sold were hundreds of miles away from some people (and most located in Republican areas).

There have not been any significant number of documented instances of fraudulent voting using fake names. There HAVE been documented cases of fraud in absentee voting.

While proposing the above bill, Republicans in Georgia significantly loosened the requirements for absentee voting, which does not require the same stringent ID requirements as in-person voting.

How can anyone possibly say Republicans in Georgia were concerned with voter fraud considering all of that?

Guest Deisel

Oh look another youtube video.

Still not going to watch.

Mojo, you bring so little to the table that nobody but Pencil even reacts to your posts. You are pretty much invisible as to offer nothing.

I don't see why it's a big issue for people to produce photo id's to vote...My son plays pee-wee football and he has to have a state issued photo id to even participate in the league..It's such a ridiculous issue to even be debating to me and I lean more to the "liberal" side on most issues..It takes 15 bucks and a couple of hours of your time to have done..If you can't find your birth certificate you can contact the records department and have a copy sent for another 15 dollars...

THANK YOU!

now obviously if a state is trying to make it impossible, then that is another issue but even if voter fraud isn't perceived by some as a major issue (despite the fact that posters on both side of the aisle were throwing around accusations during the last presidential election), shouldn't we still protect the integrity of what we claim makes our country great?

Mojo, you bring so little to the table that nobody but Pencil even reacts to your posts. You are pretty much invisible as to offer nothing.

I brought to the table years ago and unlike you, I'm not enough of a ******* idiot to keep engaging in the same discussion to end up nowhere.

Besides, all you bring are lies. You aren't worth the time.

THANK YOU!

now obviously if a state is trying to make it impossible, then that is another issue but even if voter fraud isn't perceived by some as a major issue (despite the fact that posters on both side of the aisle were throwing around accusations during the last presidential election), shouldn't we still protect the integrity of what we claim makes our country great?

Who is against providing an ID? Look at my post on Georgia's law above. What do you think the intention was behind that law?

Yes, we should protect the integrity of voting. And that means greater attention to areas where there is actual documented fraud--absentee voting. But you don't hear Republicans proposing that. Why?

Who is against providing an ID? Look at my post on Georgia's law above. What do you think the intention was behind that law?

Yes, we should protect the integrity of voting. And that means greater attention to areas where there is actual documented fraud--absentee voting. But you don't hear Republicans proposing that. Why?

so give a counter proposal. both sides have had their chances but neither does anything

so give a counter proposal. both sides have had their chances but neither does anything

A counter proposal to fix a largely non-existent problem??? blink.png

Allow people to use the most common valid forms of ID...social security card, driver's license, birth certificate, etc. Do you know what's required in most states to get a driver's license? A birth certificate and proof of residency. So what is wrong with allowing the same documentation used for a driver's license as valid ID at the polls?

The answer is that it's not about preventing fraud.