Republicans To Lose 2012 Latino Vote, Mayor Villaraigosa Says

Statick

Republicans to lose 2012 Latino vote, Mayor Villaraigosa says

Eric Martin, Bloomberg

March 8, 2012

Anti-immigrant positions of the Republicans seeking the presidential nomination will cost the party Latino voters in November, said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, chairman of the Democratic National Convention.

“They’re going to lose the Latino electorate and they’re going to lose it for some time,” Villaraigosa said today at a Politico Playbook forum in Washington. “This is the first time in modern history that I can recall where a major candidate for either party does not support comprehensive immigration reform.”

Leading Republican contender Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, in January said he opposes any measure allowing undocumented workers a chance to stay in the country and gain legal status, including the so-called Dream Act. The legislation would permit those brought to the U.S. illegally as children a chance at legalization if they attended college or enlisted in the military.

In January, Republican Jeb Bush, a former Florida governor, said his party’s candidates should adjust the “tone” of their debate on issues such as illegal immigration to start appealing to independent-minded voters in states such as Florida with a history of voting for either major party. These voters are likely to decide the outcome of the 2012 presidential election.

Villaraigosa, 59, the first Latino mayor of Los Angeles, was tapped by the Democratic National Committee in February to lead the party’s national convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Republicans to lose 2012 Latino vote, Mayor Villaraigosa says

Eric Martin, Bloomberg

March 8, 2012

Anti-immigrant positions of the Republicans seeking the presidential nomination will cost the party Latino voters in November, said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, chairman of the Democratic National Convention.

Villaraigosa, 59, the first Latino mayor of Los Angeles, was tapped by the Democratic National Committee in February to lead the party's national convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

A non-biased opinion that I can totally trust.

Unless white Americans start having babies at a faster pace latinos wil be the majority before the century is out. Republicans are on the fast track to become the Whig Party so they might want to start thinking about trying to get them involve with their party.

Dont be surprised to see republicans remain very strong even when this demographic shift happens. The Latino having tons of kids is more likely to be stupid(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_and_intelligence). Add that with their strong religious background and you have a new base for the republican party. It only takes one generation of economic hardships for the latino citizen to draw a battle line between themselves, and their non citizen counterpart.

When this happens remember I told you.

If that theory was true, then the poor black demographic would vote for Republicans in waves.

Two entirely different groups.

The poor negro knows, and has been told for decades, that the republican party does not like them. The poor hispanic gets fed the idea of republicans not liking illegals....if they have been citizens for more than a generation, then the damage is almost nothing.

I seem to recall Obama making promises to them and the Democrats did have a super majority

if your point is that Obama doesn't have control of that, then he shouldn't have lied to them, now should he?

In case you missed it, there was a crashing economy that needed attention.

I also seem to recall a stonewall after he tried to go through with some promises. Now all we got is something that everyone hates.

Dont be surprised to see republicans remain very strong even when this demographic shift happens. The Latino having tons of kids is more likely to be stupid(http://en.wikipedia....nd_intelligence). Add that with their strong religious background and you have a new base for the republican party. It only takes one generation of economic hardships for the latino citizen to draw a battle line between themselves, and their non citizen counterpart.

When this happens remember I told you.

Exactly how many copies of the Bell Curve do you own?

what immigration reform did he bring to the table?

I thought you meant his promises in general not strictly to a "them."

But let's not delude ourselves to think it was anyone's top priority for the 2 years and it shouldn't have been. 2010-now is the time of "no to anything proposed."

"Stonewall any proposals and then claim he did nothing later." Just lame.

I thought you meant his promises in general not strictly to a "them."

But let's not delude ourselves to think it was anyone's top priority for the 2 years and it shouldn't have been. 2010-now is the time of "no to anything proposed."

"Stonewall any proposals and then claim he did nothing later." Just lame.

if there had even been an attempt, then I would consider the point valid. But claiming you didn't even try something you promised just because you assume failure is a copout.

In addition, this is a problem on both sides...it just so happens that Obama was the one making the promises this time around.

Both sides are responsible for our problems with illegal immigrants here. The United States is like a trap door spider for them....invite them in and then make a situation where they can't get any legal status and are pretty much forced to undercut Americans to make a living and add additional strain to our infrastructure.

Reform the statue of liberty if you want to limit the people coming here now. Don't contradict her.

the classic argument based on no logic or reasoning or taking into account changing times

if we apply that thinking to running our country then the 13th and 14th amendments weren't necessary

the classic argument based on no logic or reasoning or taking into account changing times

if we apply that thinking to running our country then the 13th and 14th amendments weren't necessary

Changing times should also be applied to a lot of areas of the constitution. There goes the Republican party. I like where you're going there, Dago.

Edited by {Mojo-Risin}

Changing times should also be applied to a lot of areas of the constitution. There goes the Republican party. I like where you're going there, Dago.

and of course you don't take into account that at one time their perceived roles in this country were reversed.

and I say 'perceived rolls' simply because there are still idiots who believe that one side or the other still haven't sold us out to lobbyists and corporate interests. kinda like how you all ignore the fact that all those CEOs got tons of money while millions of Americans were losing their homes and nothing was done for them

and of course you don't take into account that at one time their perceived roles in this country were reversed.

and I say 'perceived rolls' simply because there are still idiots who believe that one side or the other still haven't sold us out to lobbyists and corporate interests. kinda like how you all ignore the fact that all those CEOs got tons of money while millions of Americans were losing their homes and nothing was done for them

I ignore that? Really?!

Nah bro, you got the wrong person there. And I'm not a Democrat. YOU GUYS just like labeling me that way.

Since when has ANYONE on this board ignored the CEO's getting money, when they weren't even told how to spend it, or the money used to write off a lot of the tax payers debts to them? The moment they received our money, a lot of the debts should have been wiped.

I think you're way off-base here.

What do roles have to do with anything, btw? The Constitution party would be dismantled if people started realizing that changing times require many changes to the constitution.

I ignore that? Really?!

Nah bro, you got the wrong person there. And I'm not a Democrat. YOU GUYS just like labeling me that way.

Since when has ANYONE on this board ignored the CEO's getting money, when they weren't even told how to spend it, or the money used to write off a lot of the tax payers debts to them? The moment they received our money, a lot of the debts should have been wiped.

I think you're way off-base here.

What do roles have to do with anything, btw? The Constitution party would be dismantled if people started realizing that changing times require many changes to the constitution.

well when you only single out one party to be done away with, and are happy with that idea, that does indicate acceptance of the other. Otherwise, you would have mentioned them both

well when you only single out one party to be done away with, and are happy with that idea, that does indicate acceptance of the other. Otherwise, you would have mentioned them both

The Democrats aren't known to be the ones refusing to adapt to changing times. That's the Republican aka Constitutional party. Why WOULD I mention Democrats in regards to that? Are we on the same page here?