Our Defense Needs Lofton. Me Will Make An Attempt At It.

Guest Deisel

Guest Deisel

Its hard to find a Lofton for the middle. Its hard to replace a leader who calls the shots. A guy like Lofton doesn't come round often. We are talking about the middle of our D. Maybe this new guy can stay healthy. Maybe not. You had both of our starting outside backers see some injuries the last 2 years. The 1 constant has been Lofton. The only reason I can see us NOT resigning Lofton is if we are Seriously going after Mario. That would counter this loss, somewhat. Nolan must see alot in Dent as well. I'm not so sure.

I think we will have a limit in the Mario bidding.

If we lose out, Lofton and/or Abe may return.

I think signing Kendall Langford will definitely give us beef on our Dline.

Another plus is we still would be able to add to our Oline as well. Gaither if cut, Collins would be a nice versatile pickup as well.

Edited by ~GotJsOnDeck~

Guest Deisel

Would we really rely on Tatupu seeing as he's got injury issues, ie. concussion problems? I know the guy is fairly young and great when healthy but this could back fire quick. Maybe, the coaches are uncertain of Lofton's knees as well.

Lofton's knees are probably the biggest factor in us looking elsewhere. I don't buy the talk of him not being a three down lb. It may have been true his first couple of seasons, but last year he was solid+ in coverage. I think the Pozlusny and DQwell Jackson deals really ruined things for us. If they are worth 8mil, then Lofton is too. But for that kind of money we could potentially sign an all pro OL like Nicks.

Sad, but probably true. We drafted MR to lead the "O" and CL to lead the "D"...I can't see how he(CL) failed.

Nothing good or redeeming about it.

I don't see it Lofton "failing" The guy gave his very best. I see it more as our 29th ranked defense at getting off the field on 3rd downs is in dire need of a face lift--particularly on the DL to pressure the QB--and some (like Lofton and Abraham) has to be sacrificed to pay for this surgery.

I do think paying Biermann 4 million a season to get man-handled and pancaked is somewhat of a contradiction, however. huh.png I don't know what they're thinking there unless he's a safety-net if they neither resign Abraham or land Mario or someone else, and they may possibly cut him and his new contract if they do. No way on earth Biermann is worth 3 years for 12 mil.

Edited by Quarterback

Would we really rely on Tatupu seeing as he's got injury issues, ie. concussion problems? I know the guy is fairly young and great when healthy but this could back fire quick. Maybe, the coaches are uncertain of Lofton's knees as well.

Dent looked great on ST. I think they are looking for him to be the long term answer with Tatupu as the short term insurance. They are also prob bringing Peterson back for another year. So depth should be good.

Lofton is younger and had a solid bounce back season IMHO, he improved in pass coverage and could benefit from Nolan.

TD and UGA homers are gambling on Nolan making Dent look comparable to Lofton after 1 season on SPT and no real experience at MLB.

Lofton's knees are probably the biggest factor in us looking elsewhere. I don't buy the talk of him not being a three down lb. It may have been true his first couple of seasons, but last year he was solid+ in coverage. I think the Pozlusny and DQwell Jackson deals really ruined things for us. If they are worth 8mil, then Lofton is too. But for that kind of money we could potentially sign an all pro OL like Nicks.

So true.

These owners are their own worst enemy, aren't they? They will publicly complain about salaries and expenses and then compete with one another with absurd contracts for at times marginally talented players.

Kind of reminds me of tobacco companies sponsoring "do not smoke" adds for kids but keep right on spitting out the cigs by the millions.

I don't see it Lofton "failing" The guy gave his very best. I see it more as our 29th ranked defense at getting off the field on 3rd downs is in dire need of a face lift--particularly on the DL to pressure the QB--and some (like Lofton and Abraham) has to be sacrificed to pay for this surgery. I do think paying Biermann 4 million a season to get man-handled and pancaked is somewhat of a contradiction, however. huh.png I don't know what they're thinking there unless he's a safety-net if they neither resign Abraham or land Mario or someone else, and they may possibly cut him and his new contract if they do. No way on earth Biermann is worth 3 years for 12 mil.

I think that Biermann's value is increased for two reasons. One, he is a core special teamer and some guys get a couple million just for being ST captains. Remember Ike Reese? Two, Nolan may view him as a hybrid DE/OLB and if that works out his sack numbers will shoot up.

We didn't sign the guy to play special teams.

Lofton is younger and had a solid bounce back season IMHO, he improved in pass coverage and could benefit from Nolan.

TD and UGA homers are gambling on Nolan making Dent look comparable to Lofton after 1 season on SPT and no real experience at MLB.

Toker,

I like everything about Curtis Lofton, but at the end of the day the NFL is getting faster and faster.

The greatest handicap Lofton has is lack of speed. Remember, he had a combine speed of 4.79 with a high time of 4.89. There are many NFL DE's that can run this fast or even faster.

If Lofton played 15-20 years ago he would be seen as another former shorter ("listed" at 6.0), hard hitting, big motor Falcons linebacker, Jessie Tuggle. However, the NFL has evolved into a passing league and your linebackers need to be--at least--at a 4.6 forty to stay with these younger, faster TE's and RB's coming into the league.

Again, I am a fan of Curtis Lofton in general, but too many times I have seen him flat outrun and the Brees' and Brady's of the world will feast on this fundamental lack of speed.

I think that Biermann's value is increased for two reasons. One, he is a core special teamer and some guys get a couple million just for being ST captains. Remember Ike Reese? Two, Nolan may view him as a hybrid DE/OLB and if that works out his sack numbers will shoot up.

I understand his value on special teams. I am just debating paying a marginal DE 4 million per year while perhaps cutting JA and CL to open up salary space. 1.5 - 2 mil, maybe, but there's no way on earth Biermann is worth 4 mil per year as a back-up DE and special teams player--that's what the draft is for.

Guest Deisel

Toker,

I like everything about Curtis Lofton, but at the end of the day the NFL is getting faster and faster.

The greatest handicap Lofton has is lack of speed. Remember, he had a combine speed of 4.79 with a high time of 4.89. There are many NFL DE's that can run this fast or even faster.

If Lofton played 15-20 years ago he would be seen as another former shorter ("listed" at 6.0), hard hitting, big motor Falcons linebacker, Jessie Tuggle. However, the NFL has evolved into a passing league and your linebackers need to be--at least--at a 4.6 forty to stay with these younger, faster TE's and RB's coming into the league.

Again, I am a fan of Curtis Lofton in general, but too many times I have seen him flat outrun and the Brees' and Brady's of the world will feast on this fundamental lack of speed.

I have to comment here. Lofton is the middle backer. His role was to push forward into the hole. He would do that job with tremendous success. I thought he was top 3 in the NFL last year and his playing speed afforded him tackles galore. He's plenty fast enough. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.6.

I have to comment here. Lofton is the middle backer. His role was to push forward into the hole. He would do that job with tremendous success. I thought he was top 3 in the NFL last year and his playing speed afforded him tackles galore. He's plenty fast enough. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.6.

I thinkI saw lots of completions over the middle just cause Lofton wasn't close enough to bat the ball down, although he was close enough to garner a tackle.

Its hard to find a Lofton for the middle. Its hard to replace a leader who calls the shots. A guy like Lofton doesn't come round often. We are talking about the middle of our D. Maybe this new guy can stay healthy. Maybe not. You had both of our starting outside backers see some injuries the last 2 years. The 1 constant has been Lofton. The only reason I can see us NOT resigning Lofton is if we are Seriously going after Mario. That would counter this loss, somewhat. Nolan must see alot in Dent as well. I'm not so sure.

Middle linebackers are not that had to find. All MLB's typically make all the calls. I know Lofton is a good guy, but he is not an impact player. If he is wanting money like a lot of the other recent MLB signings, then I say let him walk. Don't tie up big money in an average to above average player. Save it and spend it someplace else or look for an upgrade down the road.

We all know that Spoon is the standout in our linebacker group. I can understand if he continueds on the path he is on giving him top LB money. Lofton is good and solid, but not a stand out or guy that is all over the field. Maybe Mario is someone the Falcons go after, maybe not. Maybe the save the splash for another time and other areas of the team. I don't know, but if Lofton does not come back, I would not be mad.

Emmit Smith was drafted in 1990 and played and ran through holes the size of Kim Kardashian's butt created by, I think, the greatest Offensive Line in NFL history.

This is 2012 and has become more of a passing league where you have men much bigger than Lofton running 4.3's and 4.4's.

Lofton is good; elite and irreplaceable he in not.

Toker,

...so Dent and Tatupu are an upgrade. Linebackers were our best group on "D" w/o a doubt and CL had a ton to do with that.

You have to minimize the efforts of CL to think that Dent and Tatupu, who I doubt is any faster than CL, are a solution. Dent having little to no

experience. Transition seems to come to mind about the next 2 seasons...just wish the F/O would say it.

I understand his value on special teams. I am just debating paying a marginal DE 4 million per year while perhaps cutting JA and CL to open up salary space. 1.5 - 2 mil, maybe, but there's no way on earth Biermann is worth 4 mil per year as a back-up DE and special teams player--that's what the draft is for.

That is not what he is being paid. His contract is 3 year 9 million with another 3 million in incentives. Here is his base salary breakdown. Biermann got a three-year deal that averages $3.05 million. He received a $3.1 million signing bonus, and will make $1.1 million in base salary this season. His cap figure for this season is $2.133 million. Biermann’s base salary will rise to $2.4 million in 2013, and 2.55 million in 2014.

...so Dent and Tatupu are an upgrade. Linebackers were our best group on "D" w/o a doubt and CL had a ton to do with that.

You have to minimize the efforts of CL to think that Dent and Tatupu, who I doubt is any faster than CL, are a solution. Dent having little to no

experience. Transition seems to come to mind about the next 2 seasons...just wish the F/O would say it.

No, absolutely not are Dent and Tatupo upgrades over Lofton...I'd take Lofton over either. However, I'd take an all pro caliber DE if it meant sacrificing Lofton and playing the serviceable Dent or Tatupo (both similar size and speed to Lofton). We would be better overall as a TEAM!