Did Td Start A Trend When He Traded For Julio Jones?

THE ICEMAN

I think TD may have started a trend when he traded two1st,one 2nd and two 4th's for Julio Jones sure thats a ton to give up but at the end of the day TD got a can't miss player in Julio Jones and from pass years a lot of people forget that he also got him at a much cheaper price than he would have the year before that and I think that if RG3 pans out you'll see more and more teams do this. And me for one would be willing to do the same thing next year if TD could jump up there and get a guy like LT Matt Kalil,Joe Thomas,Jake Long you get the picture and in a package simular to what we gave up Julio to nab a franchise type LT(or what ever Need) of player and then work Free Agencey like we will have to do this year.

But I will say that soon or later you make enough of those trades you will get burned just look at Sam Baker who was pretty good his rookie year but just seems like injuries have hurt his play and development or how about Peria Jerry who could still come back to be a pretty good player (like babs) but not the player he could of been before he was injured(young Tommie Harris). Then like I said you could still have a can miss type of player like Glen Dorsey who everybody was touted as the next Waren Sapp look at him now a pretty good player but no Waren Sapp point is are you willing to take that risk say once every 5 years or so to get hopefully a stud player like Julio Jones.

I will say that you can only do this if your a younger team like the Falcons,Texans,Lions,Bangles,Packers,Eagles and not a team in the decline (Still good but an older team) like the Saints,Steelers,Colts,Cowboys needless to say you can't do it if you have a bunch of oldr player's at key spots and there more likley to get injuired and you will need the depth.

So would I do it once every 5 years or so He11 yea. Stand pat with your picks maybe even trade back so get more picks in the years you don't trade up but every 5 years or so just move up and take a Franchise type of player like looking back would you give up two 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to move up and grab DE Jason Peira Paul or DE Aldon Smith or how about this year DT Dontari Poe?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to take chances. Once in a while, cold hard calculated risks are necessary to inject talent, or fear into your roster. Allowing things to get fat and fluffy and lackadaisical is just as much a killer to a team as poor talent. The Julio trade was to get a top notch receiver who can fight for the ball. He is the style of receiver best suited for Matt Ryan.

A good GM has to pay attention to the circulation of talent within his team AND the league as well. Anticipating needs, anticipating other teams needs, and knowing when to act on potential beneficial players. It's very much high stakes poker. Knowing when to go all in, and knowing when to cut bait.

This board is full of arm chair GM's. And yet, none of us does that for a living. Funny how that works, huh? Being a GM or scout is much more than X's and O's. It's seeing a larger, macro picture of the whole NFL environment. But also there is the strong need for micro management of the myriad of things that effects your team goals, structure and progression.

In a nut shell, it's far harder to do than the small snap shots we have of the day in and out runnings of any team, let alone the Falcons.

I don't think its about a trend. Its about doing whats best for your team. I don't think TD did the trade thinking, "I'm going to do something to make my mark on the NFL." The Falcons needed a WR, a big time player and Julio was that guy. They went and got the guy they liked. I personally say shame on the GM that sees a guy that fits their needs and decides not to go get him when they have the means.

Cleveland I think will be kicking themselves over not making the move to get RG3. They already had two #1's this year, I don't think giving up one in 2013 would be too over the top. I'm not sold on McCoy.

Edited by isproab

All we got from JJ deal was an upgrade over MJ12 and a future replacement for a player far from done(RW).

Dent better be Tuggle/Lofton x2...if we lose Lofton. We also better be able to secure both lines.

we are losing Lofton, Toker.....sooner you realize this, the less painful it will be...

All we got from JJ deal was an upgrade over MJ12 and a future replacement for a player far from done(RW).

Dent better be Tuggle/Lofton x2...if we lose Lofton. We also better be able to secure both lines.

So do you think we would have gotten a player better than Julio Jones or Curtius Lofton or as good if we hadn't gave up all those picks because I don't think so Julio going to be a really good player the only thing we lost was depth which we already had in giving up those picks.

we are losing Lofton, Toker.....sooner you realize this, the less painful it will be...

So do you think we would have gotten a player better than Julio Jones or Curtius Lofton or as good if we hadn't gave up all those picks because I don't think so Julio going to be a really good player the only thing we lost was depth which we already had in giving up those picks.

Tell me I'm a lie after the 1st season of that deal. It had short as well as long term goals and the short did not pan out, because the depth we drafted was

not good enough. A calculated gamble by a GM who did draft the players but not the quality to make it a win for the Falcons...add Edwards to that equation.

I've accepted that Lofton could be a casualty, but Dent better pan out better then the O-line.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

Tell me I'm a lie after the 1st season of that deal. It had short as well as long term goals and the short did not pan out, because the depth we drafted was

not good enough. A calculated gamble by a GM who did draft the players but not the quality to make it a win for the Falcons...add Edwards to that equation.

I've accepted that Lofton could be a casualty, but Dent better pan out better then the O-line.

But thats my point even if we had kept the picks we still wouldn't have gotten a player as good as Julio (an impact player a game changer) just simply depth which we already had and we still would have been one and done and maybe not even made the playoffs.

Maybe instead of taking Julio we should have taken Aldon Smith but thats another subject

Julio had an impact but the team just didn't play on the level they did in 2010 and thats not julio's fault put him on the 2010 team and he maybe could of made a differance and thats what TD was thinking

With the trade last year TD went for the "hail mary" pass to get to the superbowl this year. We didn't make the superbowl and now we are going to pay for JJ. Don't like paying for something we have had for a year, do you?. The trade was a poor idea, as we have multple holes and far fewer picks to fill them. My biggest concern is LT, as we will not be able find one in Free Agency. So for those who advocate for making big trades (up), and using free agency to fill in the gaps, remember draft picks are going to be cheaper and younger than any free agents. I do advocate for trades in the draft. Trade down like NE and get multiple picks in the early rounds. NE has 2 picks in each of the first two rounds. We don't even pick until day two. So guess we will all take the first night of the draft off and not even watch as it will be like a kid looking into a candy store window, knowing that he can't have any of the "goodies" inside.

By the way,I thought the trade was a bad idea from the beginning (last April). I also think that Washington giving up 3 one's and 1 two is dumb. What if RG3 flops or gets hurt. Washington will be set back for years.

The draft is a numbers game. Only a certain percentage of any teams picks are going to be good picks, so the more picks you have the better your chances are of getting more good players.

Since no one can predict the future with any accuracy don't trade future picks, you may need them very badly, as we do know with regards to the LT position.

But thats my point even if we had kept the picks we still wouldn't have gotten a player as good as Julio (an impact player a game changer) just simply depth which we already had and we still would have been one and done and maybe not even made the playoffs.

Maybe instead of taking Julio we should have taken Aldon Smith but thats another subject

Julio had an impact but the team just didn't play on the level they did in 2010 and thats not julio's fault put him on the 2010 team and he maybe could of made a differance and thats what TD was thinking

How dare you not give credit to that genius TD. The guy is a trendsetter. He is GM god. Even his mistakes come up to be total acts of genius.

Thanks Falconin PA for you brief bluntness and truth...saved me some typing.

Its a trend to get GM/HC fired.

No one has a crystal ball. You make a decision and move on.

Personally, because of where they would have picked at #1 last year and this year, and what was then and is available now for them with these two picks, I think the pick was sound and worth the cost.

However, we have too long been in denial about this defensive line and former DC...we have to pay the price to get this right even with the loss of some former starters. We started on the path of resurrection with the hiring of Nolan.

Two words: Eli Manning

You have to wait for Julio's career to play out before you will know how the trade worked out for us. An upgrade over MJ12 isn't specific enough. If he is an all pro upgrade then you'd be hard pressed to argue it was a bad move. If we win a Superbowl with him then it'd be tough to complain. But at the moment we are just one season in.

In general, I'd rather a GM/Owner with the nutz to go for it.

No one has a crystal ball. You make a decision and move on.

Personally, because of where they would have picked at #1 last year and this year, and what was then and is available now for them with these two picks, I think the pick was sound and worth the cost.

However, we have too long been in denial about this defensive line and former DC...we have to pay the price to get this right even with the loss of some former starters. We started on the path of resurrection with the hiring of Nolan.

Your're right none of us do, all any of us have are opinions. It is my opinion, that if TD doesn't improve the lines, particuliary the Oline, then this pick may not look so good down the road.

Firstly, there is no such this as a "can't miss player". The draft is a lottery, from start to finish.

We could have taken 5 players with our original picks. The two fourth rounders may "only" have been depth, but the 1st and 2nd rounders should have netted us players who could start. We gave up the farm, and regressed from a 13 win team to a 10 win team as a reult of the moves we made.

The ONLY position worth breakig the bank for is a QB. Even that's a massive risk, but atleast the rewards if you find the next Elite QB may just make it worth it.

Great players can be found throughout the first round. The idea that you have to trade up 20 spots to find great players, doesn't hold water.Trading picks away also forces team to have to address their needs via free agency, which is usually far more exepsnive, putting the team's salary cap under strain.

Firstly, there is no such this as a "can't miss player". The draft is a lottery, from start to finish.

We could have taken 5 players with our original picks. The two fourth rounders may "only" have been depth, but the 1st and 2nd rounders should have netted us players who could start. We gave up the farm, and regressed from a 13 win team to a 10 win team as a reult of the moves we made.

The ONLY position worth breakig the bank for is a QB. Even that's a massive risk, but atleast the rewards if you find the next Elite QB may just make it worth it.

Great players can be found throughout the first round. The idea that you have to trade up 20 spots to find great players, doesn't hold water.Trading picks away also forces team to have to address their needs via free agency, which is usually far more exepsnive, putting the team's salary cap under strain.

The Falcons thought in order to compete with the Saints, the Packers, the Eagles and ultimately the Patriots they needed a great receiver with deep speed to complement their many offensive talents.

I don't think they were flawed in their thinking here, but their main flaw has been either missing on #1 picks on lineman and not from the beginning building strong OL and DL lines. They are finally realizing this after four years but the time and cost of repairing this horrible misjudgment could cost them to miss their window...and all Super Bowl Caliber squads have anywhere from a 2-5 year window before they usually have to reload, rebuild and/or recalibrate.

Guess what year this is under Smith and Mularkey's inaugural season, draft and free agent signings? They get it, Blank knows it, and this is why we will go into this season with two new coordinators.

Mike Smith needs to show progress or the hope of progress this season too!

Edited by Quarterback

Your're right none of us do, all any of us have are opinions. It is my opinion, that if TD doesn't improve the lines, particuliary the Oline, then this pick may not look so good down the road.

Agreed, but then I think he should have built the lines first from the beginning. What he did by going after more skill positions made us competitive faster; however, what he sacrificed for immediate gratification is costing us dearly now.

Agreed, but then I think he should have built the lines first from the beginning. What he did by going after more skill positions made us competitive faster; however, what he sacrificed for immediate gratification is costing us dearly now.

Exactly and I hopefully he rectifies the siutuation in a big way(FA), Mcneill/Nicks and or MW and not try and nickle and dime us with mid tier acquistions/questionable pickups with injury histories,(Manuwai/Tatupu), hopefully they were insurance and not plan A. Guess we'll find out.

The Falcons thought in order to compete with the Saints, the Packers, the Eagles and ultimately the Patriots they needed a great receiver with deep speed to complement their many offensive talents.

Would not Torrey Smith have fit that bill? I know that is hindsight, but IMO, the Jones trade was made out of an air of desperation (here he goes again). The team had already traded up for Sam Baker, spent a 2nd to bring in Gonzo and given significant extensions to Clabo and Blalock. At that point, 3 years into the TD era, it was apparent the offense was still not good enough, hence the idea to go all-in on that one more big weapon.

The trade also smacks of a weakness Dimitroff has demonstrated during his 4 drafts, a lack of patience. He jumps the gun to ensure he gets his man, sacrificing draft value in the process. With fewer picks this year, I hope Thomas can hold his water a bit longer this time around.