Would You Make This Theoretical Trade?

If we can't come to a reasonable contract extension for Grimes, say NE comes calling and is interested in his services.

Would you trade Grimes for the #27 pick? In this scenario I'd be targeting Peter Konz C. Mcclure is older than MR Burns and this pick 'should' solidify our C spot for the next 10 years.

In round two target his teammate and OL buddy Zeitler OG.

This would bring instant continuity to a somewhat revamped OL and would save us a ton of cap space.

We would need to bring in another corner though. I think we do anyway. Grimes is a zone coverage guy, Dunta is a man to man guy. Nolan runs mostly man coverage with his CBs. Not saying Grimes can't do it, but it's not his strength.

#27 for Grimes would make me happy . While Konz is better than McClure/Hawley, is he that much better as to come close to offsetting the damage of Grimes' loss to the secondary? Robbing Peter to pay Paul, or more accurately, robbing Nolan to pay Koetter.

I think if we fix the lines then the rest of the defense/offense will be better by default. I would want us to bring in another FA corner @ around 5 mil a yr though. Somebody like Carlos Rodgers.

Trading one of the best corners in the league for basically a center? I wouldn't make that.

One thing to note, you are not trading one of the best CB's in the league for a Center. You are trading one of the best CB's in the league for a Center and an extra $8.5m in cap space.

The #27 pick in last season's draft was given a 4 year, $7.46m contract, less than $2m per season. Grimes is $10.6m for this season. We would get a good Center and $8.5m in cap space to spend on other upgrades.

Personally, I would prefer to use the pick on a CB. Even decent CB's are expensive in FA. This draft is deep with CB talent, and a very good one will be available at #27. I don't think he'll be as good as Grimes, but I don't think he'll be $8m a year worse. I don't think the Center move would be a bad one, just saying I'd rather get a good CB prospect and sign a solid veteran Center with the extra money we have.

So you'd risk losing him for nothing next year?

Yes. The reward is hardly worth it. Look at it from the other side of the table. A late 1st round pick is a risk too, and what are the chances of a late 1st rounder being better than locking up one of the best CBs in the league for the foreseeable future.

Yes. The reward is hardly worth it. Look at it from the other side of the table. A late 1st round pick is a risk too, and what are the chances of a late 1st rounder being better than locking up one of the best CBs in the league for the foreseeable future.

You aren't just getting the pick out of the trade. You're getting a ton of cap space as well to continue upgrading the lines.

Isnt it in the new CBA that you can't franchise the same player two years in a row?

No, you can, but the salary goes up very very fast. The team has to pay 120% of the salaries the second year, which would be closer to $15m to franchise Grimes again.

You aren't just getting the pick out of the trade. You're getting a ton of cap space as well to continue upgrading the lines.

Sacrificing a great player for bargain bin hunting isn't the way to go. If we want to upgrade the lines, then how about we look to trim the fat elsewhere. We have a really expensive fullback coming off a torn ACL is a good place to start. Before we go on though, everyone needs to put an end to the fantasy that we're going to go out and grab Carl Nicks, Mario Williams, and a bunch of other expensive FAs. It just isn't going to happen. Besides, we are not in a situation where we desperately need a large amount of cap room, and only desperate teams cut great players like Grimes for it.

Sacrificing a great player for bargain bin hunting isn't the way to go. If we want to upgrade the lines, then how about we look to trim the fat elsewhere. We have a really expensive fullback coming off a torn ACL is a good place to start. Before we go on though, everyone needs to put an end to the fantasy that we're going to go out and grab Carl Nicks, Mario Williams, and a bunch of other expensive FAs. It just isn't going to happen. Besides, we are not in a situation where we desperately need a large amount of cap room, and only desperate teams cut great players like Grimes for it.

We wouldn't be cutting Grimes. We'd be trading a back end player to free up cap room and get a draft pick to FIX OUR LINES. Is this not what everybody has been screaming for? Sacrafices have to be made. The lines have to be fixed. CB's aren't going to lead us to a super bowl.

I understood that. It's not a question of Grimes or Superbowl though. We don't have to get rid of Grimes to improve our offensive line. We have other players to offer, plenty of cap room to pick a few linemen up in FA, and we have additional draft picks. Besides, your suggestion is to use it on a C. McClure isn't our problem. If anything, McClure and Clabo were the only two linemen we had last year that were pretty good by league standards. We need to look at RG and LT, and I believe we've already brought in a FA G. I'm fine with us spending a 2nd round pick on a linemen, but that's not going to address our LT situation. We have two options at LT, stick with Svitek and hope a full off-season and repair for the injury he suffered will make him into full time starting material, or hit up FA. Players to look at there would be Jared Gaither, Demetrius Bell, and Anthony Collins.

I understood that. It's not a question of Grimes or Superbowl though. We don't have to get rid of Grimes to improve our offensive line. We have other players to offer, plenty of cap room to pick a few linemen up in FA, and we have additional draft picks. Besides, your suggestion is to use it on a C. McClure isn't our problem. If anything, McClure and Clabo were the only two linemen we had last year that were pretty good by league standards. We need to look at RG and LT, and I believe we've already brought in a FA G. I'm fine with us spending a 2nd round pick on a linemen, but that's not going to address our LT situation. We have two options at LT, stick with Svitek and hope a full off-season and repair for the injury he suffered will make him into full time starting material, or hit up FA. Players to look at there would be Jared Gaither, Demetrius Bell, and Anthony Collins.

I'm also basing all of this off of Grimes and the FO not being able to come to a reasonable contract. We need a good young C too. Mcclure is about to die and isn't currently under contract. I do agree that we also need a LT, I think we look to FA for one though.

I don't think teams value Grimes at the level of a 1st rounder, certainly not NE. Teams could trade for him (he had a first round tender) last year when he had a better year statistically and nobody did. We may be able to get a high second rounder but I'm not sure about that either. Rams could use a good corner (though they have a young promising pair that were injured last year). TB is another team with a high second and need for corner but I doubt we would trade with them.