Let's Stop Kidding Ourseleves Thinking We Don't Need Mario Williams

tobyd77

Listen if we think that we will be fine without MW we crazy. I don't care about his injury history and there are many players with playmaking abilities that have seen the bench a time or two. Troy is one of my favorite players and I'm a Falcons fan to the core but this dude makes game changing plays when he is on the field and that is worth the money.

I don't care what MW is worth it is within our best interests to pursue and if we don't than we all need to be concerned. If they can't simply afford him than that is one thing but they would want to especially after they are letting Lofton and Abe walk not to mention restructuring Dunta's contract.

Say what we will but we would have to be stupid not to join the MW sweepstakes.

If anything, the thought of the defense being good is entirely dependent on acquiring Williams needs to stop.

well who who do you suggest would the defense depend on to make the Falcons good Kroy Biermann?Listen I like Biermann and Decoud but Mario will be their best bet to succeed.

We've kicked the can on getting an elite DE to complement or replace Abe the last 5 years. We should've grabbed Peppers when we had the chance 2 years ago, and I don't see us finding an elite passrusher in the 2nd round this year, and I don't think we can count on one next year, especially if we pick late in the 1st round. We have to make at least an attempt to get Mario Williams. If we can get him, we can be confident of the right side of our line for at least the next 5 years.

We should use every resource getting the best talent we can on both of our lines. Offense and Defense. Not at least attempting to get Mario Wiliams would be ridiculously stupid.

Guest TheIdowu

We've kicked the can on getting an elite DE to complement or replace Abe the last 5 years. We should've grabbed Peppers when we had the chance 2 years ago, and I don't see us finding an elite passrusher in the 2nd round this year, and I don't think we can count on one next year, especially if we pick late in the 1st round. We have to make at least an attempt to get Mario Williams. If we can get him, we can be confident of the right side of our line for at least the next 5 years.

We should use every resource getting the best talent we can on both of our lines. Offense and Defense. Not at least attempting to get Mario Wiliams would be ri

I am still seething over this today!!!!

and

I have been preaching this for several years now. . . . games are won and lost in the __________

I agree with Psychic here I think Nolan will make a difference.

The thing for me is giving Nolan a talent like MW all of a sudden I believe he will use it to the teams best advantage.There's no one on our defense with the same talent level as MW I think Nolan would be smiling from ear to ear if we manage to acquire MW though.

Who to say MV will be a game changer here? Once he gets his money, do u think he will still go 125 mph? I like MV, but people feel like if he don't land here our season is over. And another thing that's getting on my nerves is everyone making Nolan some kind of God. It's not like he going to come here and change our defense into the 85 Bears defense, it's gonna take more than one season.

Who to say MV will be a game changer here? Once he gets his money, do u think he will still go 125 mph? I like MV, but people feel like if he don't land here our season is over. And another thing that's getting on my nerves is everyone making Nolan some kind of God. It's not like he going to come here and change our defense into the 85 Bears defense, it's gonna take more than one season.

He was the #1 overall pick. He's already loaded.....

If anything, the thought of the defense being good is entirely dependent on acquiring Williams needs to stop.

That's not how I see it at all. I think our defense will improve alone on Nolan's ability to coach. However, if Williams were to sign and pan out he could make our Defense Elite.

So you think a number 1 pick in one position will solve all of our problems? mind you we have to address OL, CB, WR if HD leaves, backup QB. I want MV like the next person, I just don't think it make sense financially.

How did you get that out of what I said? You said "What if he gets his money and doesn't go 125 MPH anymore?"

He already got his money in the form of a 6 yr/54 million dollar contract. Why didn't he stop after he got that one? It's not like he's some late round draft pick and this will be his first pay day.

I agree with Psychic here I think Nolan will make a difference.

The thing for me is giving Nolan a talent like MW all of a sudden I believe he will use it to the teams best advantage.There's no one on our defense with the same talent level as MW I think Nolan would be smiling from ear to ear if we manage to acquire MW though.

I'm a huge Nolan fan, but the guy isn't a miracle worker. He needs players.

How did you get that out of what I said? You said "What if he gets his money and doesn't go 125 MPH anymore?"

He already got his money in the form of a 6 yr/54 million dollar contract. Why didn't he stop after he got that one? It's not like he's some late round draft pick and this will be his first pay day.

OK, I get what you saying. But overall we need a lot more talent than just one huge name, I hope u agree

OK, I get what you saying. But overall we need a lot more talent than just one huge name, I hope u agree

Of course I agree, but I'm not in the crowd that thinks that if we sign Mario we are completely done in FA. We have plenty of cap space and plenty of potential moves to free up even more space.

Of course I agree, but I'm not in the crowd that thinks that if we sign Mario we are completely done in FA. We have plenty of cap space and plenty of potential moves to free up even more space.

How do you figure we will have plenty of cap space? We sign Mario for 10-12 million and the midget Grimes for 10 million we are pretty much done cap wise.

How do you figure we will have plenty of cap space? We sign Mario for 10-12 million and the midget Grimes for 10 million we are pretty much done cap wise.

Mario's cap hit doesn't have to be near that if we don't want it to be. You can backload the contract to jump in price next year after TG is off the books.

Grimes can always resign at some point. It isn't guaranteed that his cap hit is going to be 10 mil.

We can cut Ovie and Baker to free up 5 mil more.

Matt Ryan could be resigned to free up 4-6 mil more.

Like I said, there are plenty of moves that can be done.

Mario's cap hit doesn't have to be near that if we don't want it to be. You can backload the contract to jump in price next year after TG is off the books.

Grimes can always resign at some point. It isn't guaranteed that his cap hit is going to be 10 mil.

We can cut Ovie and Baker to free up 5 mil more.

Matt Ryan could be resigned to free up 4-6 mil more.

Like I said, there are plenty of moves that can be done.

Bro its a headache trying to explain this as I think alot of people think the cap is black and white we have this much and can only spend this much and alot can't figure out how much movement there is with regarding to contracts and restructuring.Also alot don't realise the TV deal is in negotiations at the moment so this will also probably mean a substantial rise in the actual cap also throw in the fact you can also turn signing bonus's and prorated money into guaranteed money which players like there are lots of things you can do to get around the cap as you explained in your above post.

I'm a huge Nolan fan, but the guy isn't a miracle worker. He needs players.

KOG mate I'm of that opinion also and have echoed signing MW for awhile,Psychic and I have opposing view points on the matter actually but I respect his opinion.

But all in all I think we need a difference maker on each level I see MW as that guy upfront Spoon on the LBer level and Moore and Grimes in the secondary that is if the latter resigns of course.

I think the more weapons we give Nolan the better off we'll be and the fact TD gave up alot to get Julio here I figure MW is his next target and I really think he'll move Heaven and Earth to get him here with AB's financial support of course.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Bro its a headache trying to explain this as I think alot of people think the cap is black and white we have this much and can only spend this much and alot can't figure out how much movement there is with regarding to contracts and restructuring.Also alot don't realise the TV deal is in negotiations at the moment so this will also probably mean a substantial rise in the actual cap also throw in the fact you can also turn signing bonus's and prorated money into guaranteed money which players like there are lots of things you can do to get around the cap as you explained in your above post.

Of course there are way to "get around" the cap.

That's how team like the Redskins and Eagles are redskins have been able to go on big spending sprees in Free Agency.

However, whislt it may look smart, it really isn't. They aren't really "getting around" the cap. They all just creating additional cap space in the short term, by deferring cap hits to future years. Basically, teams are borrowing from the future, in order to try to buy instant success.

The downside, is that those deferred monies will catch up to you, because they HAVE to count against the cap at some stage - and as the unamortised moies increase they make it more difficult and expensive to get away from the contracts of players who are declining and/or underperforming.

Manipulating the cap in this way, has got a lot of teams in huge cap trouble over the years, as they have tried to buy instant success, or to keep a good roster together for 1 final push. The Skins, Raiders, 9ers, Jaguars and Titans have all gone through cap he11 from doing just that.