Poll: If Lofton Does In Fact Leave

pzummo

If Lofton Leaves  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the new leader of the defense? Who wears the communication helmet?

• Sean Weatherspoon
    • Lofa Tatupu
    • Akeem Dent
    • William Moore
    • Thomas DeCoud

So I was thinking about the scenario if Lofton leaves as a Free Agent. I've never really heard of a DL getting the communication helmet, and the way we rotate our DL it wouldn't make sense for us to give it to a DL. That being said, who gets it?

I listed all of the possibilities I could see in the LBer and S corps. I did not list Nicholas because he's an OLB, and if an OLB gets it, it would be Spoon without much arguing from anybody. So here's each option and a case for and against them.

Sean Weatherspoon - He's our best LBer and will continue to be an every down backer. This makes a lot of sense and it's getting my vote.

Lofa Tatupu - He's a veteran backer that has played at an All Pro level. He has experience adjusting the defense in Seattle, as he was their leader. He's new to our team, but everyone is new to Nolan's scheme. He's our MLB, which is a prime candidate to be the leader of the defense.

William Moore - He's basically our 4th LBer and hits like a truck. I could see him taking a bigger role in our defense as he has improved since his first year with the injury. It's not as likely for a Safety to be the leader and I think this is a longshot, but I'm listing him because some might think otherwise.

Thomas DeCoud - I am not a huge DeCoud fan, but he is our starting Free Safety, making him a 3 down player. I don't see this as a realistic possibility, but thought I'd include him to see if others think he is.

Akeem Dent - MLB is a prime candidate to get the communication helmet, and many on here think he'll start above Tatupu. If he's the starter, there's a chance he gets the helmet, although I don't think he'll be a 3 down backer even if he does start severely reducing the likelihood he gets the mic.

So I was thinking about the scenario if Lofton leaves as a Free Agent. I've never really heard of a DL getting the communication helmet, and the way we rotate our DL it wouldn't make sense for us to give it to a DL. That being said, who gets it?

I listed all of the possibilities I could see in the LBer and S corps. I did not list Nicholas because he's an OLB, and if an OLB gets it, it would be Spoon without much arguing from anybody. So here's each option and a case for and against them.

Sean Weatherspoon - He's our best LBer and will continue to be an every down backer. This makes a lot of sense and it's getting my vote.

Lofa Tatupu - He's a veteran backer that has played at an All Pro level. He has experience adjusting the defense in Seattle, as he was their leader. He's new to our team, but everyone is new to Nolan's scheme. He's our MLB, which is a prime candidate to be the leader of the defense.

William Moore - He's basically our 4th LBer and hits like a truck. I could see him taking a bigger role in our defense as he has improved since his first year with the injury. It's not as likely for a Safety to be the leader and I think this is a longshot, but I'm listing him because some might think otherwise.

Thomas DeCoud - I am not a huge DeCoud fan, but he is our starting Free Safety, making him a 3 down player. I don't see this as a realistic possibility, but thought I'd include him to see if others think he is.

Akeem Dent - MLB is a prime candidate to get the communication helmet, and many on here think he'll start above Tatupu. If he's the starter, there's a chance he gets the helmet, although I don't think he'll be a 3 down backer even if he does start severely reducing the likelihood he gets the mic.

whoa_gif.gif

...Don't want Lofton to leave.

I really think Tatupu could be up for that. Mike Holmgreen has said before that Tatupu was a great leader, and he's intelligent. He referred to him as the "glue" that held that Seahawks' defense together. The guy is still young, and in my opinion very capable of returning back to his Pro Bowl form.

I voted spoon, but the problem with handing the defense to Spoon is will it slow him down. he's now got to worry about where everyone else is on D, instead of just focusing on his own duties.

I'm surprised Decoud didn't get more votes, seeing as he is already responsible for the secondary coverages.