Mario Health And Lack Of Production Could Spell Doom For Td

falcon057

Mario has had trouble staying on the field the last 2 seasons because of injuries. I'm sure this will account for his lack of production of only 53 sacks over 6 years. I know many have criticized TD for signing Edwards last season after he had been hurt and maybe rightfully so.

The contract for Mario is expected to be reach the $100 to $110 million range and average more than $14 to $16 million per year. If TD signs him to a contract of this size and misses because of an unforeseen injury it will set this franchise back for years. It will have no do overs and should send him packing.

A move like this you would think would only be made if you were one player away on defense and the player was healthy. If not, it will be seen as the worst FA signing in our history.

TD is known for bold moves and this is one with what we know about Mario health problems . Do you put your career on the line?

and go All in-( and we don't have best hand (nuts)so our chips will be exposed.)

I can't and i would live to fight another day.

I think you just go for it and hope for the best.

When healthy Williams is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. He played 5 games and registered 5 sacks before he tore his pectoral muscle. Before this injury he only missed three games in 2010 due to a sports hernia. It's not like the dude has blown out knees or a bad back. Plus TD has shown a willingness to sign veterans coming off injury i.e. Edwards and Lofa.

I don't want Williams anymore. 100 million ******* dollars. That better be a QB your talking about. Lets pass on Williams. Nolan said, he wants a defense that will have 10 guys who all get 4 sacks each rather than 1 guy who gets 10 plus sacks. A true dominant defense is a group of guys who can get sacks from all areas of the defense. We can get that defense with out Mario Williams.

I feel ya. Risk vs reward. i'll agree with steel city, i think you hope for the best. we need a pass rusher and a replacement for abe. williams is a top tier player and not many of those guys are available year in and year out. you gamble and get elite talent when healthy or someone who will spend most of his time on the injury list. $100 mill sure is a lot of money though. Personally I cant yet decide if im for or against getting mario, so I'll just wait and see what happens and support whatever direction the front office goes in.

Mario isn't gonna get $100 mil probably. He will sign for something a long the lines of $80-$90 mil from what I have been hearing. And no player is a sure thing. If GMs thought like the OP did why even have the NFL. Wouldn't be anything but average players cause people scared to dish out money

I don't want Williams anymore. 100 million ******* dollars. That better be a QB your talking about. Lets pass on Williams. Nolan said, he wants a defense that will have 10 guys who all get 4 sacks each rather than 1 guy who gets 10 plus sacks. A true dominant defense is a group of guys who can get sacks from all areas of the defense. We can get that defense with out Mario Williams.

I like Nolan's thinking, but I also believe he'll take full advantage of the double-teams that Mario will see throughout the game so other players will get sack opportunities. Plus, the last few years we've all seen our guys get to the QB only to over-pursue or completely whiff at a clean shot at the QB (like every game against Brees). I don't see that happening this season.

Edited by kjv315

We are better off spending the money now because next year if they put that cap requirement in that forces teams to spend 90% of their cap, we won't find anybody decent that can rush the passer. Imagine teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Tampa that routinely operate 10's of millions under the cap being forced to spend. Between those three, they'll gobble up every FA making every other team forced to blow their wads on leftovers.

Players like Mincey might get a $ 60 million contract just so some team can hit it's cap requirement. If they put that new cap stipulation in it's going to be a madhouse. 2013 will be a very bad year to go into FA with a shopping list in hand. I say spend now while we still have some control on who we can bid on.

I agree with this..... partially. I still want Williams, but having said that, we better be getting production from whoever the other DE is or else this obviously won't make sense. I too would rather 4 guys who can get pressure on the QB rather than just one guy who can.

I'm worried about this move, I would rather spend 100mil on improving the entire team, or at least the entire defense. One man on the d-line, no matter how dominant is too easy to gameplan for, too easy to marginalize. I agree that if you have 3 or 4 of dominant players on "d" then yes Mario may be able to dominate, but do we have that? I like a lot of our players, but let's face it none (on defense) have dominated their position. So since that is our makeup, lets get good quality players that as a whole can at least WIN that side of the ball. I will hope for the best no matter what, I just believe that by game 6, the same people who wanted him will be complaining cause he only has 2 sacks.

I really thought about this last night.

If we get Mario, and he doesn't pan out or continues to get injured, our cap will be ruined and we'll be unable to pickup and re-sign all the guys we need.

If we get Mario and he ****s up, we will have to still pay him the biggest contract for a DE in NFL history.

Nahhh, I'm cool. I'll just let Nolan work his magic. We can't do that ****. It's too big of a risk.

EDIT: Rajhea, you have to remember that one monstrous DE enormously improves the rest of the DL. More double teams = more pressure from the rest of them.

Edited by MattRyanProvesYouWrong

I really thought about this last night.

If we get Mario, and he doesn't pan out or continues to get injured, our cap will be ruined and we'll be unable to pickup and re-sign all the guys we need.

If we get Mario and he ****s up, we will have to still pay him the biggest contract for a DE in NFL history.

Nahhh, I'm cool. I'll just let Nolan work his magic. We can't do that ****. It's too big of a risk.

EDIT: Rajhea, you have to remember that one monstrous DE enormously improves the rest of the DL. More double teams = more pressure from the rest of them.

That's what we always hear, but how often does it actually happen. Abe got double teamed all the time cause teams believed we couldn't get pressure any where else. Look at Jared Allen this past year, got 22 sacks but the Vike's defense wasn't better as a whole. Even the Giants didn't dominate until Osi came back. I agree you need a dominant DE, but you also need some dominance somewhere else, to make teams pay for double-teaming your stud DE

He doesn't have injury issues. He had one injury year and that was last season. Not to mention, production wise he is a 65 to 70 plays a game player who always is in demand of a double team. This is a stupid thread.

Edited by #1 pick

He doesn't have injury issues. He had one injury year and that was last season. Not to mention, production wise he is a 65 to 70 plays a game player who always is in demand of a double team. This is a stupid thread.

i couldnt agree more. i dont know where all this injury crap is coming from. and on top of that it was only his peck that he injured this past year so its not like its a major issue.

I believe TD is indeed fighting for his job, there is no more "live to fight another day". That barn door is shut, head coach and GM is now on THE seat. 2013 will be the watershed year for these two...no more excuses, no OC / DC blaming. If TD does not fix the offensive line and the pass rush, he and his head coach are done. Mario has GOT to be in their sights, if Nicks is not. But it MUST be one or the other. If Neither? Wow, that would be hard to explain to the boss after you let your starting MLB walk..

I think you just go for it and hope for the best.

When healthy Williams is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. He played 5 games and registered 5 sacks before he tore his pectoral muscle. Before this injury he only missed three games in 2010 due to a sports hernia. It's not like the dude has blown out knees or a bad back. Plus TD has shown a willingness to sign veterans coming off injury i.e. Edwards and Lofa.

Exactly. The torn pectoral muscle can more than likely be attributed to how fast and hard he plays. You don't tear a peck from being timid and not wanting to hit. He also did not get any major injuries from the 4-3 which is what we are going to mainly play. He got real bad hurt in the 3-4 being a rush backer flying off the edge.

Falcons are at a crossroads - "do nothing" or do very little and the odds of Falcons getting to next level and winning playoff games is improbable. I love Matt as much as any of you, but he is not and will likely never be as good as Brees/Brady/Manning/Rodgers. Our QB cannot cover up a weak defense like those guys can - maybe one day he will be that good but, at this point, it does not appear likely.

Because of this, Falcons need a dominant defense to go with their offense to really be a contender.

Is spending $100 million on Mario Williams a risky "all in" type of move? Dam right it is......

Do I like the move? absol-freakin-lutely........Go Big or Go Home..........no time to start wimping out now.

Falcons are at a crossroads - "do nothing" or do very little and the odds of Falcons getting to next level and winning playoff games is improbable. I love Matt as much as any of you, but he is not and will likely never be as good as Brees/Brady/Manning/Rodgers. Our QB cannot cover up a weak defense like those guys can - maybe one day he will be that good but, at this point, it does not appear likely.

Because of this, Falcons need a dominant defense to go with their offense to really be a contender.

Is spending $100 million on Mario Williams a risky "all in" type of move? Dam right it is......

Do I like the move? absol-freakin-lutely........Go Big or Go Home..........no time to start wimping out now.

I'm with you G-Dawg.. Its time to go all-in. It either nets us a SB or bust. Either way, I don't think we get there without having a **** good defense.

I believe TD is indeed fighting for his job, there is no more "live to fight another day". That barn door is shut, head coach and GM is now on THE seat. 2013 will be the watershed year for these two...no more excuses, no OC / DC blaming. If TD does not fix the offensive line and the pass rush, he and his head coach are done. Mario has GOT to be in their sights, if Nicks is not. But it MUST be one or the other. If Neither? Wow, that would be hard to explain to the boss after you let your starting MLB walk..

Yep we are just gonna dump our GM and HC after 4 straight winning seasons if we don't win the super bowl this year.

This is what all the good teams in the league do! Sarcasm off.