We Are Signing Hurt Free Agents Who Aren't Wanted By Their Former Teams?

Low risk, high reward signings. Contracts are incentive laden and we aren't on the hook for much if we cut them in camp. Tatupu if healthy is definitely an upgrade over Lofton on passing downs.

Amen brother...

We hit on one of these two guys and we fill a position of need without having to shell out big money.

Guest Gritz

People seem to conveniently forget or ignore the fact that all 32 NFL teams have extensive medical staffs....including contacts with a whole cadre of medical professionals outside of the organization.

It's not that rare to hear that someone wasn't being signed because they couldn't pass the physical.

Tatupu was extensively checked out by the Falcon doctors before he was signed.

People seem to conveniently forget or ignore the fact that all 32 NFL teams have extensive medical staffs....including contacts with a whole cadre of medical professionals outside of the organization.

It's not that rare to hear that someone wasn't being signed because they couldn't pass the physical.

Tatupu was extensively checked out by the Falcon doctors before he was signed.

Poked, prodded, and pricked. These guys typically have to go through physicals most of us regular joes didn't know existed.

Tatupu, Manuwai, and Nance all 3 were injured during the 2010 season

So their former teams had to find replacements either during or at the end of the 2010 season.

So their replacements became intrenched during the 2011 season and their former teams have no need for them now----ie the Falcons and Norwood

Does not mean the players have not fully recovered in the last oh 18 months.

Edited by delaigle

Low risk, high reward signings. Contracts are incentive laden and we aren't on the hook for much if we cut them in camp. Tatupu if healthy is definitely an upgrade over Lofton on passing downs.

Well said. It's a win win situation. Unless I missed something the Falcons signed one offensive OG, who isn't no small player and reading the report by Jay Adams sounds like someone who might be great for the Falcons. ANd on the defensive side of things , if healthy it sounds like the LB they signed might be great keeping the pressure on another team, especially in a rotational type of situation or perhaps just a great backup. That's all speculation of course. I'm always exited about new signings for the Falcons, it lets me know that losing last season in that playoff game was unacceptable and they are at least making changes. Honestly I'm more exited about this season than I have been in years with the new OC and DC, it's going to be interesting to see how this team and coaches come together this season.

They had 17 UFAs this year... Have to start filling out the roster.

Exactly. We were in a rougher spot than a lot of people realize, and we arent out of the woods yet. We have put new people in place that can *hopefully* do just as good, for half the price. Thomas Dimitroff has always been a shrewd genius with contracts, and this offseason has been the most challenging to date. We are starting to see what he does under that pressure. So far, not bad.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Obviously, we need to see what happens in FA, but at this point... I will be disappointed if we dont get Mario. I have all the faith in the world that this is what TD is working towards, and will make happen.

If these guys are healthy, great. Then, I'm ecstatic! As of now, I just don't know how to feel about signing guys who are hurt enough for their former team to let them go. We keep getting injury prone players. Is this a problem?

Hey, given enough time most any injury will heal, plus a real aggressive, serious, hungry, competitive player who sits out a year revives his hunger and desire for the game all over. He wants to be great again.

That's a good thing.

Many times..............................a VERY good thing.

Relax.

Tatupu, Manuwai, and Nance all 3 were injured during the 2010 season

So their former teams had to find replacements either during or at the end of the 2010 season.

So their replacements became intrenched during the 2011 season and their former teams have no need for them now----ie the Falcons and Norwood

Does not mean the players have not fully recovered in the last oh 18 months.

Absolutely agree. Let's at least give them a look and see what they bring to the table. Nothing really to lose, only way the Falcons lose with both of their last two signings would be to not give them a look and see what they might can do.

I never said we shouldn't give these guys a chance. I was just asking about injury prone players...

Hey, given enough time most any injury will heal, plus a real aggressive, serious, hungry, competitive player who sits out a year revives his hunger and desire for the game all over. He wants to be great again.

That's a good thing.

Many times..............................a VERY good thing.

Relax.

Thanks. I can breathe easy now ;)

Absolutely agree. Let's at least give them a look and see what they bring to the table. Nothing really to lose, only way the Falcons lose with both of their last two signings would be to not give them a look and see what they might can do.

at the very least Manuwai is a definite upgrade from Chambers

and Tatupu is at least an upgrade from Peterson

2 of the players that were backups last season and are now 2 of those 17 UFA to be replaced

But I do expect more from both

Edited by delaigle

They had 17 UFAs this year... Have to start filling out the roster.

It also takes some leverage away from our own fa who are asking g for big page day's. If the market doesn't pan out to what contract they're hoping for they know there's capable guys waiting to steal their spots.

I never said we shouldn't give these guys a chance. I was just asking about injury prone players...

Thanks. I can breathe easy now wink.png

By that same analogy...there are several players on our roster one could say was injury prone.....even my beloved Julio....and he's not going anywhere soon. But HD, Peria, Meir, and many more might get that same tag. Just saying...it's a really tough sport.....and now Ovie. Oh and Abe.....Grimes......where will it enddddddddddddddddd! LOL