Keep Lofton Cut Nicholas

kelohauh706

Lofton is a prototypical Middle Linebacker. He's not a pass rusher, he's average in coverage, he's a run stuffer (which he's VERY good at). It sounds like in Nolan's scheme Nicholas may be very valuable based on his coverage skills. He's a guy that needs to stay healthy though as well. While we'll all miss 50, it just doesn't seem like it's going to work out here. He wants 99% of the snaps and he wants to be paid alongside the top tier linebackers... we want him to stuff the run on first and second down and that's about it...

I'm not worried about losing him, the NFL is turning into a air show and either Tatupu, Dent or Crowder (who I have a feeling will also be signed) will be able to slide into the "2 down" role and we'll be fine. It's a means to an end... we need money to make a hard run at Williams and or Nicks and unfortunately you can't pay everyone.

Wish Lofton the best, he's been shades of "The Hammer" during his time here...

Lofton is a prototypical Middle Linebacker. He's not a pass rusher, he's average in coverage, he's a run stuffer (which he's VERY good at). It sounds like in Nolan's scheme Nicholas may be very valuable based on his coverage skills. He's a guy that needs to stay healthy though as well. While we'll all miss 50, it just doesn't seem like it's going to work out here. He wants 99% of the snaps and he wants to be paid alongside the top tier linebackers... we want him to stuff the run on first and second down and that's about it...

I'm not worried about losing him, the NFL is turning into a air show and either Tatupu, Dent or Crowder (who I have a feeling will also be signed) will be able to slide into the "2 down" role and we'll be fine. It's a means to an end... we need money to make a hard run at Williams and or Nicks and unfortunately you can't pay everyone.

Wish Lofton the best, he's been shades of "The Hammer" during his time here...

good post. simply put, in Mike Nolan's scheme - there is not a lot of room for linebackers that are weak in coverage. While Dent (like Lofton) is not good in coverage - we don't have to pay Dent $8million/yr.

Mike Nolan wants fast guys that can move foward(run stopping) and backward(pass coverage) well. He needs pass rush as well - Lofton can only do 1 out of 3.

1 out of 3 does not equal $8million/yr.

Falcons will use Lofton's money as a down payment on Mario Williams.