Yasinskas: Breaking Down Biermann's Contract

theProf

Breaking down Biermann's contract

Mar 9 4:45 PM

By Pat Yasinskas

I just got a look at the full details of the contract signed by Atlanta defensive end Kroy Biermann this week.

To sum it up, the Falcons aren’t quite paying Biermann like a starter, which means they’re probably looking for one in free agency. But they paid Biermann the kind of money you’d expect for a defensive end that is likely to get pretty extensive time in the rotation.

Biermann got a three-year deal that averages $3.05 million. He received a $3.1 million signing bonus, and will make $1.1 million in base salary this season. His cap figure for this season is $2.133 million.

Biermann’s base salary will rise to $2.4 million in 2013, and 2.55 million in 2014.

Biermann's scheduled cap-hit as follows:

2012 = $2.13m ($1.1m base salary + $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

2013 = $3.43m ($2.4m base salary + $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

2014 = $3.58m ($2.55m base salary = $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

The above amounts do not include any incentive bonuses, which are also part of his contract, but may or may not be earned.

Biermann's scheduled cap-hit as follows:

2012 = $2.13m ($1.1m base salary + $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

2013 = $3.43m ($2.4m base salary + $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

2014 = $3.58m ($2.55m base salary = $1.03m prorated signing bonus)

The above amounts do not include any incentive bonuses, which are also part of his contract, but may or may not be earned.

If you'll notice, it's structured to where he essentially has a guaranteed tryout year, and if he doesn't show a lot of promise with Nolan, then we can cut him and get 200k salary relief after the 1st year.

If you'll notice, it's structured to where he essentially has a guaranteed tryout year, and if he doesn't show a lot of promise with Nolan, then we can cut him and get 200k salary relief after the 1st year.

Wouldn't we get almost a mil back? If we cut him we'd get that 2.4 mil in base salary minus the 1.03 mil coming out to 1.3 mil in savings? I doubt we'd cut him next year anyway, but I'm just confirming if that's how that works.

Wouldn't we get almost a mil back? If we cut him we'd get that 2.4 mil in base salary minus the 1.03 mil coming out to 1.3 mil in savings? I doubt we'd cut him next year anyway, but I'm just confirming if that's how that works.

If Biermann were to be released before the 2013 season, then Atlanta would save about $350,000 against the cap ($2.4 base salary - $2.06m in remaining prorated dead money signing bonus).