Should We Cut Or Trade This Guy?

I know the temptation is to cut Turner and pick up $5M in cap dollars, but I think we should ride him for at least one more year, maybe two. Dude is still getting it done. In 2011 he was elite status with:

1st - broken tackles

2nd - yards after contact

2nd - 40+ yard rushes

3rd - 20+ yard rushes

3rd - total rush yards

6th - rush TDs

I know many think he's fat and slow. Truth is he is neither. He's got big thighs and a big butt but he has a small waist and low upper body fat. He isn't a speed merchant but he has good quickness and knows how to get to the second level. Even running behind a makeshift Oline with a groin injury.

Buddy was a two time Pro Bowler in the last four years and should have gone ahead of Gore in 2011 as the leading rusher in the NFC. He was one of the most explosive runners in the league and set the all time Falcon rushing TD record.

He can still read a hole, show good quickness, balance, cut back ability and tons of power. His receiving game and pass blocking have improved year over year.

Make no mistake about it. Smitty still wants to run the ball. Koetter already said he wants to run and go vertical. Nothing helps a vertical passing game more than a running game. Koetter ran more than Mularkey from 2008-2011.

If we do decide to trade or cut Turner, the Aints, Panties and Sucs will be glad. Trust me.

I don't think the FO is actually in the "cut him" stage right now, however I do think they are seeing the signs. So, I beleive they will keep him, but are open to the option of losing him, which is something they weren't open to before. If some team offers them a good trade for him, they'll probably take it, but I don't think they are actively looking to get rid of him, at least not until they have his replacement. Having said that, he will probably not be here in 2013 unless he takes a pay cut.

NO!

We need Turner. The problem is not with Turner in my opinion, its blocking, and most importanly PREDICTABILITY. Even I knew 85% of the time last year when it was a run play. Turner cant break every tackle.

Analysts who say he is slowing down are just wrong. Turner's speed is just fine. He may not win footraces, but ill take a guy who is more likely to eat up yards on 6-7 yard plays all the way down the field than one who will get 2-3 and hope that he breaks out on ONE carry for a homerun.

Serviceable backs may grow on trees, but elite backs do not people. If you think a back who can carry 300 times and average 4.5 yards three out of four years is not elite, then just stop watching football. Turner's stay here has produced insane numbers, and no one cares. He is expendable. He is one of the most under-appreciated players to wear a Falcons uniform.

I don't understand wanting to get rid of a TOP 5 RB , he ran behind a line that did not play to well last year , I think he still runs hard and maybe decrease his carries a little throughout the year will keep him strong all season and besides who are you going to replace him with , I don't think you plug any RB in our backfield and get the same results and what are you thinking you will get for him in a trade 3rd pick ........please

The problem is that he's completely useless in the passing game. I cannot call Turner elite because he's not an all around back.

what are you talking about , we don't run enough screens to know if he's any good in the passing game , he might be William Andrews 2.0 but you probably don't know who that is

what are you talking about , we don't run enough screens to know if he's any good in the passing game , he might be William Andrews 2.0 but you probably don't know who that is

So Rb's only catch screens? Where exactly did this notion come from? He has a career high of 17 receptions. If he could catch I'm sure somebody would have figured it out before he turned 30. I mean they are professional coaches.

So Rb's only catch screens? Where exactly did this notion come from? He has a career high of 17 receptions. If he could catch I'm sure somebody would have figured it out before he turned 30. I mean they are professional coaches.

So RBs have to catch a lot of passes to be good? Where exactly did this notion come from? Since 2008, you know who has the most rushing yards in the NFL?

Well, Its AP, but you know who is second? You guessed it. And that is including a season where he missed 5 games.

So RBs have to catch a lot of passes to be good? Where exactly did this notion come from? Since 2008, you know who has the most rushing yards in the NFL?

Well, Its AP, but you know who is second? You guessed it. And that is including a season where he missed 5 games.

Never once said he wasn't good. He was a very important part of the development of Ryan. I know exactly where Turner ranks as far as rushing yards go. I also know exactly where he ranks as far as total production from the RB position and it isn't near as high. He had less receiving yards than 11 backup RBs.

I don't understand the problem with wanting another threat in the passing game for Ryan.

The problem is that he's completely useless in the passing game. I cannot call Turner elite because he's not an all around back.

I'm not sure he's useless. He averaged more yards per reception than Snelling and Quizz. He also had more 20+ yard receptions than them. He was rated higher than Snelling and Quizz in pass blocking by PFF. That aint really useless.

Never once said he wasn't good. He was a very important part of the development of Ryan. I know exactly where Turner ranks as far as rushing yards go. I also know exactly where he ranks as far as total production from the RB position and it isn't near as high. He had less receiving yards than 11 backup RBs.

I don't understand the problem with wanting another threat in the passing game for Ryan.

I never said we dont need another threat for Ryan either. We have Snelling and Quizz for that. What I am trying to drive home, is that people think we can trade Turner and just bring in another back that can rush for 1300 yards consistently, and that just aint gonna happen. I am saying Turner is an ELITE RB. Would a back like Ray Rice, AP, or McCoy be nice. Of course, no sh*t.

My point is the grass isnt always greener. Unless you are bringing in a proven commodity, you dont just trade Michael Turner and not lose some production at RB.

Edited by blackredfellow

I never said we dont need another threat for Ryan either. We have Snelling and Quizz for that. What I am trying to drive home, is that people think we can trade Turner and just bring in another back that can rush for 1300 yards consistently, and that just aint gonna happen. I am saying Turner is an ELITE RB. Would a back like Ray Rice, AP, or McCoy be nice. Of course, no sh*t.

My point is the grass isnt always greener. Unless you are bringing in a proven commodity, you dont just trade Michael Turner and lose some production at RB.

Would you get rid of Turner if it meant we signed Michael Bush? Same type of runner, but Bush has some value in the receiving game. I don't want to see one 1300 yard rusher. I'd be happy with Bush getting 900, Quizz getting 500 and Snelling getting 300.

Would you get rid of Turner if it meant we signed Michael Bush? Same type of runner, but Bush has some value in the receiving game. I don't want to see one 1300 yard rusher. I'd be happy with Bush getting 900, Quizz getting 500 and Snelling getting 300.

A running back stable of Michael Bush, Jason Snelling, and Jaquizz Rodgers? I wouldnt be thrilled with that. What did we get in return for Turner? Are we just cutting him for cap space?