Is It Smart To Extend Matt Ryan Now Or Next Year?

THE ICEMAN

Not that the Falcon really have any choice because it would really help them to not only land Mario Williams but possibly Carl Nicks as well or Ben Grubbs and a LT. But lets say May Ryan win a playoff game next year and we're the number 1 or 2 seed again which lands us in the NFC championship game and then we lose one game from the superbowl wouldn't you think Matt would want more money then instead of now? Say what you want about him he wasn't the reason we lose those playoff games he11 we would even of been there with out him last year so you fix the OL and DL and it be pretty hard to believe he can atleast win 1 playoff game with home field(the saints are in all kind s of trouble with the bounty thing and there cap space) so it may be in the Falcons best intrest to go ahead and extend him now before he does take that next step in becoming elite.

And even if he lost another playoff game next year how are you going to replace a player of his cailber they just don't grow Franchise QB's on tree's these guys are hard to find just remeber the year before we got Ryan not the last 4. It took Manning like 6 or 7 seasons to win and as good as he is he still has a losing record in the playoffs and I belive the same can be said for Drew Brees as well and Eli just got his first playoff win at home playoff games are hard to win take Aaron Rodgers he been one and done twice now but does have a superbowl as Brees,Both Manning's.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say they wait 'til next year.....too many others to try and sign THIS YEAR.

Either way, he'll command pay for a Top 10 QB. And I really don't think Matt will try to "break the bank", either. The Falcons have been VERY good to him, and he's been VERY good for us.

With that said, I'm thinking he'll take a reasonable offer...

Yea... After this Sanchez contract... Matt will get 14-15 mil a year

except that Sanchez has some playoff wins.. i think Matt is better but in negotiations i'm sure the falcons will use that to make sure they don't compare Matt with Sanchez

except that Sanchez has some playoff wins.. i think Matt is better but in negotiations i'm sure the falcons will use that to make sure they don't compare Matt with Sanchez

That may be true but then Ryan's agent can say that Sanchez is not the reason the Jets are even making the playoffs. Sanchez's regular season number's are horrible! He's never completed 60% of his passes in a season and has 55 TD's and 51 INT's. At least Ryan is part of the reason the Falcons have been making the playoffs.

Lets be serious... Everybody on earth knows Matt Ryan is a better QB then Sanchez... Now when Flacco gets his deal the falcons can try that off flacco's deal.... Even tho Matt Ryan has better stats... Its similar enough plus Flacco has won playoff games..

Flacco is looking for 15 mil a year

Lets be serious... Everybody on earth knows Matt Ryan is a better QB then Sanchez... Now when Flacco gets his deal the falcons can try that off flacco's deal.... Even tho Matt Ryan has better stats... Its similar enough plus Flacco has won playoff games..

Flacco is looking for 15 mil a year

except maybe swift, and falconsmanhood, and....

Theoretically, a team shouldn't extend a contract until they have to, or to avoid that individual asking for so much you can't pay him when letting him go isn't really an option. In this situation they believe that Ryan might be in that position, so by next year they would be contaplating extending his contract, however with so many pressing needs this year, the desire to restructure his contract to free up money is great. I hope they try everything else first & if they have no other choice then do what you have to in order to field a competitive team, but to answer your question it's smart to do it next year, but need may force their hand early

why extend contract to a QB that has not proven he can be successful in post season ..we have him for next 2 years ..Plus a franchise tag if he does lead us to a Super Bowl then he will see a bump in his value . It will cost us more but if it turns out Ryan lacks talent and skill set to be a playoff winning QB and doesnt have what it takes WERE STUCK WITH HIM FOR NEXT 5 YEARS

Let Ryan play out next 2 years ..Makes no sense to extend his contract to save some cap for this season ..

three games is hardly statistically significant enough to say a qb can't do something, such as win in the playoffs. ryan isn't one of the elite qbs in the league, but he is certainly a top 10 qb. ryan isn't going anywhere, he'll be the falcons qb for the next 10-12 years, at least. no point in resigning him now as we could use that money now to land williams or nicks, but look for it to happen within the next 12 months.

no point in resigning him now as we could use that money now to land williams or nicks, but look for it to happen within the next 12 months.

actually giving him a ext now would free up more money $ but still not a very solid decision . Why give $ to a QB that hasnt proven he can lead a team during playoffs..we have next 2 years under contract at a reasonable number ..If Ryan does lead us to a NFC CHAMP game or a super bowl..fine pay him long term deal...but there is that chance he might not

6 years + franchise tag ..for 7th is enough time to evaluate