Chat With Pat Yasinskas: March 9

theProf

Chat with Pat Yasinskas: March 9

Jonathan (Atlanta)

Pat most likely the falcons are going to make a big splash because of not having a first rd pick. what are the odds "super mario" takes his talents to ATL? If we have enough cap room to make it happen, then we should.

Pat Yasinskas (12:54 PM)

I've got an item up on blog right now saying Falcons should go hard after Mario. I think he might be the "missing link" that Ray Edwards said he'd be last year.

pabo (kuwait)

Pat you recently wrote the bucs might look at getting finnigan and vincent jackson, how likely is it that they go after a carl nicks and curtis lofton? and if this actually happens, does that mean #5 pick will go to trent richardson?

Pat Yasinskas (12:57 PM)

I'd like to see them go after Lofton, who appears on his way out of Atlanta. I think he's a solid player and a very good leader. Don't think they'll go after Nicks. They've already got money tied up in guard with Joseph and Zuttah.

Carter (Atlanta)

Excluding Super Mario, who else will the Falcons pursue?

Pat Yasinskas (1:06 PM)

Love to see them get a left tackle. Maybe Marcus McNeil?

Don (Atlanta)

Do the Falcons have enough cap room to win a bidding war for Mario, Nicks and sign a decent OT in FA?

Pat Yasinskas (1:07 PM)

Stay tuned on Atlanta's cap situation. I've got a little update on that. I'll write it and put it on blog as soon as we finish the chat. Not huge, but interesting.

Kyle (Toronto)

What is the likelihood that Atlanta will cut Sam Baker to make more cap space?

Pat Yasinskas (1:17 PM)

Pretty high, is my guess.

CP (Brooklyn, NY)

Afternoon Pat. Look, I understand the falcons haven't had much pass rush outside of Abe, but don't you think some of the blame should go to VanGorder (and Smith for that matter) and his scheme and lack of ability to develop pass rushers? Any chance the market for Abe isn't great and he comes back to ATL for a decent cost?

Pat Yasinskas (1:19 PM)

Good point. I think some blame probably should go to coaching. I'd say there's an outside chance Abe could come back if he drops is price a good bit and they haven't made a major move in the meantime.

Frank (Snellville, GA)

Which direction do you think the Falcons take with their 1st pick in the draft this year (in rd 2)? (I forget, are most FA signings done before the draft?)

Pat Yasinskas (1:20 PM)

Yeah, most FA signings are done before draft, so that will narrow their needs down for the draft.

MeAndJulio (Thailand)

Any word on Harry Douglas...how committed are the Falcons to bringing him back?

Pat Yasinskas (1:28 PM)

Think they'd like to keep him, but only if it's at a reasonable rate.

Rich (Albany, NY)

Pat, what are your thoughts on the contract the Falcons gave Thomas Decoud, he's been a viable player for that defense however it seems they gave alot of money to a player they're still hoping will develop further.

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

If you look at way contract is structured (item is on blog), they obviously believe he can develop into something. Salary really shoots up as contract goes along. If he doesn't develop, then he probably never gets that money.

Brock (Aspen, CO)

Todd McClure retiring or coming back for the veteran minimum?

Pat Yasinskas (1:34 PM)

Suspect we'll be hearing for sure in next 72 hours or so. But my guess is he comes back.

MeAndJulio (Thailand)

Will Ovie Mughelli be coming back to the Falcons or will he be cut?

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

He's got a pretty high cap figure and his coming off an injury. He's not young anymore. He could be cap casualty, especially if they're clearing money to go after Mario.

Leaker (Atlanta)

You stated that Atlanta worked out Tatupu, what happened to Channing Crowder from Miami and his interest?

Pat Yasinskas (1:49 PM)

Would think that remains a possibility. Am guessing they wanted to get a look at Tatupu and see where he's at after sitting out a season.

Vinnie (ATL)

Why is Lofton on his way out of Atlanta? Is his asking price too high? I think Lofton is a good player and great locker room guy. I would hate to see him go.

Pat Yasinskas (1:52 PM)

I feel the same way. But it sounds like Nolan may view him as a two-down player and I think Curtis wants to be an every-down guy.

Chops (Atlanta)

Would Dan Connor not be a better fit in Atlanta than Lofton?.

Pat Yasinskas (1:54 PM)

Connor's not exactly great in pass coverage either. But, if you want a two-down MLB, then Connor's price is probably a good bit cheaper than Lofton's.

scott (maine)

Can the falcons sign Lofa Tatupu before free agency

Pat Yasinskas (1:54 PM)

Yes, they can because free agency rules don't apply to him because he was out of the league last year.

santiago (antartica)

Pat, do you think the Falcons will make 2 big moves in free agency, since they do not have a first round investment?

Pat Yasinskas (1:55 PM)

At least two. I'm thinking pass rusher and left tackle and possibly one or two others.

Brock (Aspen, CO)

When would Marcus McNeil be cut from the Chargers? Soon enough for the Falcons to grab him or after the draft?

Pat Yasinskas (1:56 PM)

All indications are that will be coming in the next few days.

Michael (SC)

Did the Falcons overpay Bierman?

Pat Yasinskas (1:58 PM)

Not really. I'll have details on his contract soon. They didn't pay him real starter money. They paid him good money for a rotation guy.

scott (maine)

Lofa Tatupu better than Curtis Lofton?

Pat Yasinskas (1:59 PM)

No, but if they're going to make Lofton a two-down guy, then Tatupu can come in a lot cheaper and do close to what Lofton would do.

Brock (Aspen, CO)

Baker and Mugheili get cut...but who else? Any big surprises?

Pat Yasinskas (2:01 PM)

Those are probably the two big ones. But I'll have some interesting cap news on the Falcons on the blog shortly. In fact, let me go and write it. Should be up in 20 to 30 minutes. Thanks to all for taking part in the chat.

so if we get Mario he is final piece ? there should be no more excuses why this group cant have playoff success .. cool . Im on board with getting Mario throw a billion at Mario

if Falcons fail next year .. Smitty, TD and Ryan all gone

Since you like to talk about what all the 'successful' franchises do.....tell me how often they get rid of everybody and start over? It took Cowher how long to win a super bowl in Pittsburgh? How long did it take Mccarthy in GB? (5 years, two losing seasons. Smitty has none)

For somebody who wants us modeled after one of those franchises, you sure don't seem to have a grasp on how they run.

Thx for the post. Man I am getting all nervous and jittery about what is going to happen soon. But, it's a good reaction. I am always a homer, and always hopeful about my Falcons. I just can't wait to see what our roster looks like. There is more uncertainty about our roster this year than we have had since our makeover with TD and Smitty running the show. With new coordinators, I am just chomping at the bit to see how it all pans out.

Swift I have you on block, and I TRY very hard not to engage people on these forums for their personal viewpoints. However, do you ever really listen to what you post on here? Because most of it is just so darn negative and illogical it's ridiculous. All you can ever post is "who sux, and who should be fired." It gets very old listening to you.

Why do you ask if Mario is the final piece, when you seem to always have the answers?

Why do you state there should be no more excuses for this group when we essentially have an entirely new coaching staff, new schemes and new roster?

Why do you say throw a billion dollars at Mario as if any one player (except Peyton Manning) can take a franchise on it's back to the SB?

Finally, you top if all off with another of your overly simplistic, not well thought out statements: "

if Falcons fail next year .. Smitty, TD and Ryan all gone." Incredible, just incredible. But as always you have no solutions except to fire people. Man if only it was that easy. You "BUILD" a championship organization, you don't get their by swinging the axe around

haphazardly

I do not intend this as a personal attack on you. Although your posts sound more like a troll posting, than a fan, I assume you are indeed a fan at heart.

But sometimes that is hard to keep in mind.

so if we get Mario he is final piece ? there should be no more excuses why this group cant have playoff success .. cool . Im on board with getting Mario throw a billion at Mario

LOL...then maybe you will go with em with nobody to whine about!!!

We don't have a choice. You have to spend 90% of the cap. Quit crying just to cry

The 90% rule isn't in effect yet I don't think. I believe that is a rule they are establishing when they change the cap in 2014 'cause clearly the Bucs were under 90% last season...

I want to see that article about our cap space.... It sound like we are in the position to make a couple of moves

I think PY's following article on Dunta's restructuring, which was written not long after the Chat, was the Falcons cap article Yasinskas was referring to in the Chat:

Dunta Robinson gives Falcons cap space

Mar 9 2:24 PM

By Pat Yasinskas

Very quietly, the Atlanta Falcons have started freeing up salary-cap space. Considering the Falcons already were a good bit under the cap, this could be a sign they’re gearing up for a big splurge in free agency.

There’s been talk about them pursuing Houston defensive end Mario Williams. Ironically, one guy who would directly benefit from Williams’ presence has restructured his contract to give the Falcons more cap room.

That’s cornerback Dunta Robinson. Earlier this week, he signed off on some tweaks to his contract that will save the Falcons $1.75 million in cap space this year. Robinson waived a $3 million option bonus that was about to come due and also agreed to lower his base salary for this year by $1 million.

But Robinson gets some benefits in return. His new $5 million base salary for this year has been fully guaranteed. The Falcons also increased Robinson’s 2013 base salary to $8 million from $7 million and his 2014 salary was raised from $9 million to $10 million. His base salary for 2015 was increased from $9.5 to $11.5 million.

There are potentially even bigger benefits for Robinson on the field if the Falcons add Williams or another strong pass rusher. Robinson played with Williams in Houston and he and the rest of Atlanta’s secondary would benefit greatly from having an improved pass rush.

Lets spend that $$

Mario

Nicks

McNeil

extend Ryan contract 9 years 187 million

no excuse for failure .. all aboard

Define failure?....

Is one playoff win failure?

Is an NFC championship appearance failure?

Is a Super Bowl loss failure?

Just want to know where all that pent up rage comes from :) Because if the definition of failure is anything short of a Super Bowl title, then you are going to be disappointed the vast majority of years...

Swifty what else are they to do mate they can't do much in the draft FA is the only area they can get the talent they need to improve the team.

In saying this I know you've been on Andre Branch as a guy to look at for DE but on Mayocks blog apparently he killed it at his Clemson Pro-Day and will now probably be out of our range at #55.

I don't think they'll be gone either who you have mentioned but they will be under alot of heat thats for sure not just with the personnel decisions but the coaches Koetter and Nolan have to do there jobs also.

The 90% rule isn't in effect yet I don't think. I believe that is a rule they are establishing when they change the cap in 2014 'cause clearly the Bucs were under 90% last season...

"Is there a Minimum Salary?

Answer:Yep. Under the new CBA, The cap for 2011 is $120.375M per team. Each team must average $119.2 M. That is a league-wide average not an individual team minimum. League-wide, teams must spend 99% of the cap in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and beyond, they must spend 95% of the cap. In the event that player costs are less than this overall league minimum, then, on or before April 15 of the next League Year, the NFL shall pay an amount equal to such deficiency directly to the players.

In terms of minimum salary for each team, the salary floor is 89% of the cap. However, that does not start until 2013. Hence, there is in essence no salary floor in 2011 or 2012. (Note this point, as there is plenty of misinformation about this running rampant in the press!)"

http://www.askthecom...larycap/faq.asp

Keep dreaming, Paul.

LOL..maybe you can go with them since there will be no one left to whine about!!!!

Swifty what else are they to do mate they can't do much in the draft FA is the only area they can get the talent they need to improve the team.

In saying this I know you've been on Andre Branch as a guy to look at for DE but on Mayocks blog apparently he killed it at his Clemson Pro-Day and will now probably be out of our range at #55.

I don't think they'll be gone either who you have mentioned but they will be under alot of heat thats for sure not just with the personnel decisions but the coaches Koetter and Nolan have to do there jobs also.

Im big on Andre Branch ...I think he will be a 8-12 sack guy by year 3 and a stud and fits hybrid scheme . Id rather sign Jason Jones at DT and move up in 2nd round of draft and take Andre Branch ..I would also like to bring back Abe on a 2 year deal making it all guaranteed..Now I know Abe said he wants 12 million but thats to high but if I can get him for around 7 mil per for 2 seasons Im fine with that

Defense look like this

DE-Abe/Andre Branch

DT-Jason Jones

DT-Corey Peters

DE-Ray Edwards

3-4 scheme

DE-Ray Edwards

NT- DRAFT SELECTION

DE- Jason Jones

Rush LB -Andre Branch/Sidbury

Define failure?....

Is one playoff win failure?

Is an NFC championship appearance failure?

Is a Super Bowl loss failure?

Just want to know where all that pent up rage comes from smile.png Because if the definition of failure is anything short of a Super Bowl title, then you are going to be disappointed the vast majority of years...

No, not for this group a trip to NFC CHAMP game would show step in right direction . The overall consensus if you dont win a Super Bowl your season was a failure but I will take a trip to NFC CHAMP game and a hard fought game like the 49ers did this past season with a game manager at QB as step in right direction where you can build off that..Falcons have not won a playoff game since 04' and status quo of just being successful in regular season is not going to cut it ..

Unless we get a push up the middle, I don't expect much improvement. The QB will just step up in the pocket and side step the outside rush. I believe getting MW would be an improvement over Abe, but thats simply not enough. It does appear that they are moving in the right direction.