Jahri Evans Restructures, Saves Saints $2 Million

Trouble

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/jahri-evans-restructures-saves-saints-2-million/

The Saints have freed up a little bit of much-needed salary cap space.

Guard Jahri Evans, who signed a seven-year, $56.7 million contract in 2010 that made him the highest-paid guard in the league at the time, has restructured his deal, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The restructuring saves the Saints $2 million in salary cap space.

New Orleans is still not in great cap shape, especially considering how much money they’re going to need to free up to sign free agent quarterback Drew Brees to a new deal.

And, of course, they’ve got some bounty-related problems to deal with at the moment as well.

Bammm there is Brees 2 mill. Pay the man.

Nice to see guys do stuff to help their team

Eli redid his contract

Dunta redid his....he actually gave up money which is super rare nowadays.

it is refreshing to see guys put team before their own wallets

****, Robinson should be giving money BACK!

****, Robinson should be giving money BACK!

Well he kinda did.

He gave up 4 million bucks.

He did not have it tacked on at the end or have it converted or anything he strait up waived a bonus.

The guess is ( and hope is) he did it to help sign Williams who he is a good friend of.

Well he kinda did.

He gave up 4 million bucks.

He did not have it tacked on at the end or have it converted or anything he strait up waived a bonus.

The guess is ( and hope is) he did it to help sign Williams who he is a good friend of.

Incorrect....he gave it up now in return for more later >>>>>

"Robinson, who signed a six-year deal with the team in 2010, will waive a $3 million option bonus while also lowering his base salary for 2012 by $1 million. In return, Robinson’s $5 million base salary will be fully guaranteed and his base salaries will rise in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The end result is $1.75 million more in cap room for the Falcons this year."

Here's what I hope is happening:

Drew hasn't signed the franchise tag bc he knew they were going to restructure other players contracts so they could keep him and Nicks. Since Loomis restructured Evans and Smith's contracts, that freed up a lot of money, the Saints will give Drew the contract he wants also giving Nicks the contract he wants with the newly freed up cap space. They know they can't resign Colston and Meachem bc after resigning Brees and Nicks they don't have that much cap room left which is why they are working out Randy Moss, they are looking for a cheaper option at WR.

"Robinson, who signed a six-year deal with the team in 2010, will waive a $3 million option bonus while also lowering his base salary for 2012 by $1 million. In return, Robinson’s $5 million base salary will be fully guaranteed and his base salaries will rise in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The end result is $1.75 million more in cap room for the Falcons this year."

Here is the rub..........he is not going to see those.

He can be cut with no cap hit after this year.

His salary this year was already guaranteed.

To be fair, he's not going to see the final 2 years of that contract.

I don't really think that is a credible site, but I certainly understand if Nicks is frustrated. However, anybody should figure that the Saints can't really negotiate contracts without knowing how much they need for Brees

They know exactly how much they need for Brees, they know what they need for Nicks, that is why they are restructuring contracts, so they can get to that number.

I don't really think that is a credible site, but I certainly understand if Nicks is frustrated. However, anybody should figure that the Saints can't really negotiate contracts without knowing how much they need for Brees

For every offer there is a counter offer. The saints make an offer, Brees's agent makes a counter offer and that is the starting point for the saints. The number will not be over the first counter offer. The saints and the agent have to find a happy median. That is why they are restructuring contracts.

The skins have lot of cap space nicks could be an option.

So could Colts. Id imagine they will take a long look, to protect Luck. Alot of teams could use his service and he knows it. He also knows he will get paid more working for them. Nicks wont be a Saint.

I'm not saying the saints are definitely keeping Nicks, I'm just hoping that is the reason they are redoing Evans and Smiths contract. Hpoefully they can sign Brees and Nicks but that is wishful thinking!

He might just be hard balling them. He may very well wanna stay as long as he gets what he think he should be paid. If the Saints can do that. Who knows that might be his first choice of teams. He might not even wanna leave, he might just want them to take him leaving as a serious option when considering what they offer.

He might just be hard balling them. He may very well wanna stay as long as he gets what he think he should be paid. If the Saints can do that. Who knows that might be his first choice of teams. He might not even wanna leave, he might just want them to take him leaving as a serious option when considering what they offer.

You are absolutely right. These guys dont have very long careers, so they want to make as much as they can for as long as they can. He is the best guard in the league and should be paid as such.

I would like to retract my last statement about Nicks, he will not be with the Saints next year. Looks like they are restructuring just for Brees, from what I just read Nicks looks to be the highest paid guard in the league and has not heard a thing from the saints.