Saints Draft Picks

they just get skipped, and everyone basically moves up a spot at their expense.

They have no round 1 this year, traded it for a average RB (Ingram)

I hope they lose their 2 and 3 this draft, then have a poor season, and have to forfeit a top 5 pick in 2013. smile.png

Not to mention it would be sweet to see Brees say F it to this mess and refuse to sign the tag to cause more confusion.

Imagine the Saints without Brees, Nicks, Colston, Porter and Vilma for the season and no picks before round 4 to fill the holes. (and no #1 the next season.)

Nobody here would have liked losing a draft pick in the Michael Vick fiasco. Penalizing draft picks hurts the fans more than anything. While we'd all like to see the Saints brought down a notch or two, I'd rather it happened like it did for the Bucs....by them $ucking on the field and us beating them down.

BIG difference though.

The Saints scandal was endorsed by the TEAM. Vick did his thing without the team knowing or allowing it. Heck, Blank wanted to punish Vick and the league wouldnt let him prior to their review of the case.

Nobody here would have liked losing a draft pick in the Michael Vick fiasco. Penalizing draft picks hurts the fans more than anything. While we'd all like to see the Saints brought down a notch or two, I'd rather it happened like it did for the Bucs....by them $ucking on the field and us beating them down.

The coaches were not a part of the Vick Drama. Enough said.

BIG difference though.

The Saints scandal was endorsed by the TEAM. Vick did his thing without the team knowing or allowing it. Heck, Blank wanted to punish Vick and the league wouldnt let him prior to their review of the case.

Yep, nailed it. Don't forget that their FO was warned, ignored the warning, and lied to the league.

I hope the league really drops the hammer on Loomis and Payton. I know Williams was the ringleader and he's more than likely going to take the brunt of the discipline but the league needs to really think about it.

Payton and Loomis are repeat offenders (Vicodin, lying to the league, interfering with the investigation). The league has always had accelerating penalties for repeat offenders (players) and need to show that FO are held to that same standard. As much as they claim Williams was the ringleader, this wasn't a case of them turning a blind eye to it. Payton's felon friend contributed to the fund, so he was condoning and supporting it.

BIG difference though.

No it's not the same thing. I wanted you to think about how Vick's actions and punishment hurt the fan base in Atlanta. It was unavoidable then, but doesn't have to be now. Losing draft picks cripples the future, doesn't punish the past. Even that 1 in 32 kid who would otherwise have been a 1st rounder, takes a hit for actions out of his control.

No it's not the same thing. I wanted you to think about how Vick's actions and punishment hurt the fan base in Atlanta. It was unavoidable then, but doesn't have to be now. Losing draft picks cripples the future, doesn't punish the past. Even that 1 in 32 kid who would otherwise have been a 1st rounder, takes a hit for actions out of his control.

Punishment is all about crippling the future. That's the only thing punishment has ever been about, no matter the crime or criminal.

Punishment is all about crippling the future. That's the only thing punishment has ever been about, no matter the crime or criminal.

Indeed. When you go to jail for a crime, it doesnt change the crime or those who were victimized. But punishing the future is the only way to be penalized for the past.

The Saints are going down for this, and the fans have to go with them I guess. If they are lucky they will rebound quickly like the Falcons did. I didnt get mad or down on the Falcons with the Vick thing, I just got down on Vick. The true fans will stick with their team, and realize the punishment had to happen, while the bandwagon fans will all move on to the Giants or Packers.

Imagine the Saints without Brees, Nicks, Colston, Porter and Vilma for the season and no picks before round 4 to fill the holes. (and no #1 the next season.)

That sounds like a team I wouldn't be proud to say we beat. It would be like The 08 Lions and the '11 Colts having a baby and then we play them and win.... No fun then... just an empty rivalry and once again we'll get no respect because we'd be the only team in our division with a winning record...... and If they beat us, it would be more embarrassment ..smh... I'd rather play them at their best... but that's just me

What?!?!?!?! Man, that sounds stupid.

Guest Fibonacci

not sure what you are saying here. hmmmmm

Guest Fibonacci

I'm saying punish the personalities involved, not the franchise as a whole.

but in the case of the saints it goes from the player to there GM to people outside of NFL. so they should loose picks, cap money, fines, picks, etc.

Vick did his thing outside of the NFl. and vick was the only one to suffer. (I still think the jail thing was overboard, and I am not a vick fan).

so how do you think it should go down?

Half of the personalities are no longer with the team. Every franchise would turn a blind eye if there were no consequences for them. You have to punish the team along with the people if you want to ensure other teams take it seriously.

When you punish that many personalities it kind of automatically punishes the franchise and regretfully, the fans too, in my opinion.

Edited by bob_d

A thought just came to me and no one may know the answer to this but I'll ask anyways....

If the Saints are forced to forfeit their draft picks, what happens to them? Are they just gone?? Do certain teams get the extra picks?? Any insight or speculation would be appreciated

They are awarded to the team within their division with whom they have the longest tenured rivalry (Falcons) happy.png , Seriously, like others have said, I'm sure they're just thrown back in the draft pool.

What do you want, they forfeit their Lombardi? I personally would not mind seeing that happen, but there is no way. It would not put another ring on Favre, and I can't see the Colts accepting a trophy when they lost the game.

I see Reggie Bush weeping every night about returning his Heisman.

You have to punish those most likely to repeat the behavior that can instead stop it in the future. That is the team involved.

Your argument makes sense in College where some rogue alumni pays a kid for a TD and then the team gets a bowl ban. That seems unfair, but the only way to discourage alumni from hurting their team.

I disagree with this concept. How is it that you go about "punishing the past" without crippling the future? Its not possible. Based on this logic the saints as they are currently shouldn't be penalized at all.

What do you want, they forfeit their Lombardi? I personally would not mind seeing that happen, but there is no way. It would not put another ring on Favre, and I can't see the Colts accepting a trophy when they lost the game.

I see Reggie Bush weeping every night about returning his Heisman.

You have to punish those most likely to repeat the behavior that can instead stop it in the future. That is the team involved.

Your argument makes sense in College where some rogue alumni pays a kid for a TD and then the team gets a bowl ban. That seems unfair, but the only way to discourage alumni from hurting their team.

Completely agree with you. Its not like this is college. In order to "punish the past" you simply have to give FUTURE incentive not to repeat the past. The whole "punishing the past" as opposed to "crippling the future" just doesn't make sense to me. By this theory by the time anybody is caught doing anything wrong its too late too punish them. Cuz that would be crippling the future.

Who cares about the Saints or their fans or their future. If they went 0-16 every year from now on I would rejoice every game they lost. Piss on them.