Orson Charles Is A Dumbass

paulitik

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/orson-charles-top-tight-end-nfl-draft-prospect-arrested-for-dui/

Orson Charles, top tight end NFL draft prospect, arrested for DUI

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2012, 7:38 AM EST

orsoncharles.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

Orson Charles, a Georgia tight end who is considered one of the top prospects at his position in the NFL draft, was arrested early this morning and charged with DUI.

Charles’s name is listed on the Athens-Clarke County Jail booking log, and the student newspaper at the University of Georgiaconfirms that the Orson Charles who was arrested is the same Orson Charles who was an All-SEC tight end at Georgia.

Charles left Georgia early to enter this year’s draft and is listed as the No. 1 tight end prospect by Mike Mayock.

For NFL teams, the question will now be this: If Charles can’t stay out of trouble during the couple of months before the draft, when he knows he’s being closely scrutinized by the NFL world, will he be able to stay out of trouble after he’s drafted?

Well, maybe he'll fall further. Facepalm.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, just saw it.

I actually have slightly more sympathy with a prospect doing this than an NFL player, as at least they don't have a chauffeur service at their beck and call.

But like testing positive for weed at the combine, it's not so much an character test as an intelligence test - and Orson just failed miserably.

I don't see this knocking him out of the second, personally. Yea, he got a DUI, but his record is clean and it's a mistake. He went for a couple of drinks and got pulled over. That could happen to any of us on this board. Yes he is under the watchful eye of the NFL right now, but why can't he have a drink or two?

Now, I hope he falls for the Falcons sake as he would be tremendous value at #87.

Edited by vel

Guest Gritz

This does give Charles a strong shot at "Dumbass of the Week."

Although it might be hard for Charles to get the crown away from Rush Limbaugh.

I don't see this knocking him out of the second, personally. Yea, he got a DUI, but his record is clean and it's a mistake. He went for a couple of drinks and got pulled over. That could happen to any of us on this board. Yes he is under the watchful eye of the NFL right now, but why can't he have a drink or two?

Now, I hope he falls for the Falcons sake as he would be tremendous value at #87.

Carlos Dunlap, top 10 talent fell to mid 2nd because of a DUI. He played hard, he was loved by his coaches and teammates and he was a monster on the field. Playing like a veteran top 5 pick right now though. Best LDE according to PFF this year, despite never starting and having limited play time.

Yeah, I heard this and my first thought is he is losing so much money. I heard he is a great guy with a good head on his shoulders. He goes to the combine and does not run, thats a disappointment. He runs at his pro day which is only a few days later and runs slow times. They asked him on 790 the next day if he lost any sleep, he said no. Then he goes out and get in trouble with the law. 2 bad decisions in a row with a bad performance in between. The guys on 790 said they heard that he wasn't so hot at the combine. I know he dropped a few but this is really sad.

How do you go your career without a misstep and then have so many in the most important 2 months of your life?

This is not surprising nor should it be a big deal

What is 'not surprising about it'?

I don't think it's too big of a deal, but it does compound a couple of bad weeks for Charles and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the bottom of the 2nd/early 3rd as a result.

It's a shame for him, because if he'd had a strong combine/pro day and no off field issues then he'd be in that 1st round consideration.

I don't see this knocking him out of the second, personally. Yea, he got a DUI, but his record is clean and it's a mistake. He went for a couple of drinks and got pulled over. That could happen to any of us on this board. Yes he is under the watchful eye of the NFL right now, but why can't he have a drink or two? Now, I hope he falls for the Falcons sake as he would be tremendous value at #87.

I don't see it knocking him out of the second either. He77 the man was probably out celebrating the fact that he is soon-to-be in the NFL and just made a bad judgment call. I am sure when teams visit him at his pro day that he will be better fit and will be able to redeem himself once teams speak to him.

Carlos Dunlap, top 10 talent fell to mid 2nd because of a DUI. He played hard, he was loved by his coaches and teammates and he was a monster on the field. Playing like a veteran top 5 pick right now though. Best LDE according to PFF this year, despite never starting and having limited play time.

No Dunlap had other questions about him coming out. It wasn't just the DUI. Heart, hustle, committment, maturity questions. That's why he fell.

I have to agree with you.

No Dunlap had other questions about him coming out. It wasn't just the DUI. Heart, hustle, committment, maturity questions. That's why he fell.

He played hard, and if he didn't play with much passion or energy, I don't get why he was so liked by his teammates and coaches at a top college. Think about it, Urban Meyer wouldn't have stood for anything less than 100%. I also never saw such a guy receive so much attention from the offensive line. He was double and triple teamed numerous times, but that didn't stop him.

My favourite play of his was when he powered through a triple team of a RT, RG and a RB and moved the 3-man pile into the QB, causing an INT.

He played hard, and if he didn't play with much passion or energy, I don't get why he was so liked by his teammates and coaches at a top college. Think about it, Urban Meyer wouldn't have stood for anything less than 100%. I also never saw such a guy receive so much attention from the offensive line. He was double and triple teamed numerous times, but that didn't stop him.

My favourite play of his was when he powered through a triple team of a RT, RG and a RB and moved the 3-man pile into the QB, causing an INT.

I'm not the one saying these things. Those were the concerns with Dunlap before the draft. You can defend him, I won't argue, I'm just stating why he fell. It wasn't solely the DUI.

I have to agree with you.

See! I'm not all bad! Lol

get him in round 4-5 now. smile.png

I know it is a single mistake, but it is a big one, and at a VERY poor time. It shows very poor judgement, and some might argue that it shows he is taking this opportunity for granted. This is just as foolish as the guys who go and fail drug tests at the combine, etc.

Yea I just saw it too.. What an idiot. After running a slow 40 and only being 6'2. Then this it looks like he may fall a little. I'd expect him to still be about a 3rd rounder or so but maybe even 4th now.

a little? His name will drop from conversation because of this bone headed move. Clarke county is bad though. My ex went to grad school at uga, and we had to go through road blocks on a regular basis. He should know better to take back roads, and to get a chick to drive him.