Please Don't Sign Mario Williams! To Many Eggs In One Basket For An Overrated Player ..

... His best years were 4-5 years ago and his numbers been slowly going down since then. On top of that, the Houston Defense actually improved with him gone.

Plus the sad fact that just because someone did well on one team, that they will do well on another. I thought we as fans learned this with Dunta Robinson. Why make the same mistake twice?

Please TD, don't give into peer pressure because a bunch of misguided fans are sucked into their delusions. We don't know if Williams is even fully recovered from his injury. Sure he says he is healthy, but wouldn't you if you are looking at a potential monetary gain even if you weren't?

Personally I would want to Falcons to take Calais Campbell, but Arizona tagged him. But the real problem is not even the defense.

The offense keeps going 3 and out which in turn forces the defense on the field for longer stretches and eventually the defense gets exhausted anyway. This is going to be true if we get Mario Williams.

How it going to help the Falcons if Mario Williams or the rest of the defense is sucking wind because the offense is unable to sustain a drive because Matt Ryan has no time to throw, and Turner has no room to run?

Offensive line has barely addressed in the past and when it was addressed, it was addressed poorly. The main problem is the line.

Your team is only as strong as it's weakest line - fix the O-line and forget about Williams. Let some other team over pay.

Edited by Objective Critic

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pay Williams and a good guard/tackle at the same time. Draft the other position you need for the o-line

Falcons need a guard, tackle and center. Also, you still need money to keep guys like Grimes, HD and Lofton that you know have done well for your team. Falcons need at least 3 players on O-line and not to mention someone the replace Gonzo and/or be a backup, since the other TEs are useless on the team.

Plus this is not about a quick fix, but about long term planning.

I'm with you on not putting all of our eggs in one basket. I'd rather get 4 good players than 1 great player.

But, if you think Mario Williams is overated then you must not watch alot of football.

I do watch football and that is WHY I think he is overrated. What football game are you watching assuming he is worth that much or is that great?

Edited by Objective Critic

... His best years were 4-5 years ago and his numbers been slowly going down since then. On top of that, the Houston Defense actually improved with him gone.

Plus the sad fact that just because someone did well on one team, that they will do well on another. I thought we as fans learned this with Dunta Robinson. Why make the same mistake twice?

Please TD, don't give into peer pressure because a bunch of misguided fans are sucked into their delusions. We don't know if Williams is even fully recovered from his injury. Sure he says he is healthy, but wouldn't you if you are looking at a potential monetary gain even if you weren't?

Personally I would want to Falcons to take Calais Campbell, but Arizona tagged him. But the real problem is not even the defense.

The offense keeps going 3 and out which in turn forces the defense on the field for longer stretches and eventually the defense gets exhausted anyway. This is going to be true if we get Mario Williams.

How it going to help the Falcons if Mario Williams or the rest of the defense is sucking wind because the offense is unable to sustain a drive because Matt Ryan has no time to throw and Turner has no room to run.

Offensive line has barely addressed in the past and when it was addressed, it was addressed poorly. The main problem is the line.

Your team is only as strong as it's weakest line - fix the O-line and forget about Williams. Let some other team over pay.

you obvisiously dont know much about football.

the Houston defense improved because of Wade Phillips. Williams had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got injured.

Robinson was a press man corner in Houston and here he is a zone corner. does not fit his style of play.

yes we need help on the OLIne as well, and we can if we structure Williams in such a way to where his cap hit this year is only 7-8 mil, leaves space for a LT like McNeil.

He's still a great player, and the defense got better because of Wade Phillips and the transition to a 3-4. He's a 4-3 pass rusher, and if he's utilized to the best of his abilities, he can still be a top 5 defensive end.

Edited by JD dirtybird21

Falcons need a guard, tackle and center. Also, you still need money to keep guys like Grimes, HD and Lofton that you know have done well for your team. Falcons need at least 3 players on O-line and not to mention someone the replace Gonzo and/or be a backup, since the other TEs are useless on the team.

Plus this is not about a quick fix, but about long term planning.

Sure Mcclure is getting up in age, but he has one good year left. Stivek was good for us last year. i think we are a good guard away from having a decent to good Oline. Grimes is tagged and will prob have no choice but sign a deal. HD, id love to keep but is easily replaced with a cheaper option in FA. Gonzos replacement come in the draft. Lofton i dont even know the story on him so far. fans are just assuming he will be allowed to walk.

How is his best years 4-5 years ago when he has only been in the league for 5 years? Williams is as good as advertised guy and if it wasn't for him tearing that pec I think he could have had a 15 sack season. I hope we sign him I just hope we don't break the bank and have enough room to make some other moves like shore up the offensive line

Mario Williams is not overrated but he is also not worth 90 million . He is also not a huge upgrade over ABE where it would make that much of a difference to put us as a legit title contender. TD needs to find a stud pass rusher in 2nd or 3rd round .He is this talent genius that 90% of this board makes him out to be ..LET HIM DRAFT STUD PASS RUSHER

Championship teams are not built through free agency

How is his best years 4-5 years ago when he has only been in the league for 5 years? Williams is as good as advertised guy and if it wasn't for him tearing that pec I think he could have had a 15 sack season. I hope we sign him I just hope we don't break the bank and have enough room to make some other moves like shore up the offensive line

I was wondering that myself. I guess he peaked at the combine or NC State.

you obvisiously dont know much about football.

the Houston defense improved because of Wade Phillips. Williams had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got injured.

Robinson was a press man corner in Houston and here he is a zone corner. does not fit his style of play.

yes we need help on the OLIne as well, and we can if we structure Williams in such a way to where his cap hit this year is only 7-8 mil, leaves space for a LT like McNeil.

He got 2 sacks when playing Indy and Pittsburgh which both teams have LT issues. So he did well against scrub linemen. Isn't this the same knock as Abe who padded his stats against Jax?

As for Wade Phillips, he did improve their defense, and when Williams got injured, they didn't miss a beat. If Williams was such a uber player, you would think that after an injury, the team would see a drop in production with their superstar out of the mix. Also consider if Williams improved because of Wade Phillips, then if he leaves the team, he will not have the same defensive mind that helped him improve his game to begin with.

As for Wade Phillips, he did improve their defense, and when Williams got injured, they didn't miss a beat. If Williams was such a uber player, you would think that after an injury, the team would see a drop in production with their superstar out of the mix. Also consider if Williams improved because of Wade Phillips, then if he leaves the team, he will not have the same defensive mind that helped him improve his game to begin with.

this

He's been in the league 6 years and his best year was season 2.

3 words...

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Offense and defense wins championships. Falcons had the greatest defense of all time and still went 7-7 with the Gritz blitz. Simply repeating a phrase doesn't mean squat.

The better overall team wins, and it doesn't matter if its by offense or defense. You win as long as you score more points. Doesn't matter if it is 55-54 or 3-2 score in the game

He got 2 sacks when playing Indy and Pittsburgh which both teams have LT issues. So he did well against scrub linemen. Isn't this the same knock as Abe who padded his stats against Jax?

well when you have the likes of Brooks Reid, Connor Barwin and Jonathon Joseph that the team never had before it helps the defense improve.

Well if coaching made him better, than I dont knwo if you have noticed but we dont have a scrub as our defensive coach in Nolan

I do watch football and that is WHY I think he is overrated. What football game are you watching assuming he is worth that much or is that great?

That's you opinion then. I watch alot of football, and the dude is a great player.

As I said, I agreed with you on not putting our eggs in one basket. I am NOT for giving this guy the world. If it's a decent price, I'm in.

Mario Williams is not overrated but he is also not worth 90 million . He is also not a huge upgrade over ABE where it would make that much of a difference to put us as a legit title contender. TD needs to find a stud pass rusher in 2nd or 3rd round .He is this talent genius that 90% of this board makes him out to be ..LET HIM DRAFT STUD PASS RUSHER

Championship teams are not built through free agency

You want TD to find an stud pass rusher in the draft so you can accuse him of not drafting good players. All of your facts and complaints are based off your 20/20 hindsight. You are going to complain no matter what move we make!

That's you opinion then. I watch alot of football, and the dude is a great player.

As I said, I agreed with you on not putting our eggs in one basket. I am NOT for giving this guy the world. If it's a decent price, I'm in.

Since your paying.... (sarcasm on) How much would you pay him?

We both have an opinion. I think he is good and you think he is great. That being said I am glad we agree on the asking price being too much. I wouldn't mind Willaims on the team if he came substantially cheaper, but I highly doubt that.

Williams is looking to get paid, and he is not going to agree in restructuring anything so the team who signs him can also sign other players. This is a business, and every player knows that if something goes wrong, the team will not think twice in releasing the player from his contract. Players are going to try to make as much money as possible given how short their careers are and how the owners see every player as replaceable. Doesn't matter how much an owner seems like he likes a player, the football player knows that at the end of the day business comes first.