Which Scenerio Would You Rather We Go? All In For Williams Or How About This One....

J-Wall

I believe first and foremost Williams will get a 6yr 80mil deal. But what if we go this route instead. We go get Nicks to play guard and as well as bring in Mcneil as our LT and bring in Soali at DT. We would get all those players for around that 80 mil or less.

Very Very false.... Nicks is getting 8 plus mil a year.... Paul Soliai will atleast get 7 mil a year (i think he will get more then that) ... Thats not counting McNeil

If you dont want Mario Williams... Just say it... Its ok... Dont just throw stuff out there tho

I'd much rather upgrade the OL. Yeah, the pass rush is....non-existant....but if we can severely upgrade the OL now then I'd much rather go that route.

The only problem going all in on the o-line is sure we'll score 30 a game but as proven in the play-offs via the Giants its the D-line that makes the difference as the Giants Shutdown Brady Brees and Rodgers so hence why I have looked at this long and hard and I just believe if we get that LT via FA and get a couple of defensive difference makers I think this goes along way for us to getting rid of this play-off who do which is now King Kong size off our shoulders.

I'd be stoked if we signed Mario Williams, picked up a LT such as McNeil or Collins to compete there with Svitek, and drafted our RG of the future early in this year's draft especially working off limited picks. Just seems more feasible this offseason considering all other options that have been thrown out there.

Edited by ~GotJsOnDeck~

If and when McNiell is cleared to play, you better believe he is going to get paid. A 28 year old LT who can play at a Pro Bowl level is not something you see very often in free agency. Plan on around 8-9 million per season for McNiell.

Solai is also a Pro Bowl caliber defender. He would get around 7-8 per.

I do not see guard as a position the Falcons should be paying tons of money to fix. We do have Mike Johnson who looked very good in preseason before getting hurt. Plus we need a center. Get one in the draft in the second or third, sign McClure for another year, then let our rookie center compete with everyone else at guard, with it in mind he moves to center at times to spell McClure.

I'd rather the Falcons tried to get an OT and an OG. I think if they pursue Grubbs instead of Nicks, they might be able to do that. Grubbs and Gaither....there is a FA combo I can get behind.

I think Williams would be a terrible move, the Falcons would end up with the worst depth in the league if they went that route because of all the restructuring and cutting they would have to do.

I'd rather the Falcons tried to get an OT and an OG. I think if they pursue Grubbs instead of Nicks, they might be able to do that. Grubbs and Gaither....there is a FA combo I can get behind.

I think Williams would be a terrible move, the Falcons would end up with the worst depth in the league if they went that route because of all the restructuring and cutting they would have to do.

so leave the defense the way it is and without Abraham(our only legit pass rusher). terrible

Guest Gritz

Knowing Dimitroff like I think I do, I would be amazed if he doesn't have at least 15-20 contingency plans/scenarios laid out as far as FA acquisitions go.

I'm pretty sure that the Falcons will be players in the Mario Sweepstakes but there certainly aren't any guarantees that they will get him. If they don't I bet TD has some other plans that may play out to be just as, if not more effective.

so leave the defense the way it is and without Abraham(our only legit pass rusher). terrible

Didn't you hear, we signed the best DC in the history of the world.....

At some point you have to draft some players who can play. It's time to find out if Biermann, Sidbury, and/or Matthews can play.

At some point you have to draft some players who can play. It's time to find out if Biermann, Sidbury, and/or Matthews can play.

just like its time to find out if Stivek and Johnson can play.

didnt you hear we sighned the best OLine coach in the history of the world....

Guest Gritz

I see what you did there....smile.png

IMO he's certainly an upgrade over BVG though. He definitely has more of an NFL pedigree. Also, if it is as I suspect, and Smith had his fingerprints all over BVG's game plans and schemes, then he (Smith) will be less likely to do so with a more established DC.

Knowing Dimitroff like I think I do, I would be amazed if he doesn't have at least 15-20 contingency plans/scenarios laid out as far as FA acquisitions go.

I'm pretty sure that the Falcons will be players in the Mario Sweepstakes but there certainly aren't any guarantees that they will get him. If they don't I bet TD has some other plans that may play out to be just as, if not more effective.

Defensive End Contingency Plan if we don't get SuperMario:

I see what you did there....smile.png

IMO he's certainly an upgrade over BVG though. He definitely has more of an NFL pedigree. Also, if it is as I suspect, and Smith had his fingerprints all over BVG's game plans and schemes, then he (Smith) will be less likely to do so with a more established DC.

Actually, although my response seemed smartazz, there was an element of seriousness to it.

I don't think Nolan's philosophy hinges on having dominant defensive ends. I think his philosphy really hinges more on freeing up free shots at the QBs by blitzers. Thus, his comments "I'd rather have 10 players with 4 sacks than 4 players with 10 sacks."

I think Mario Williams would be nice, but not nearly worth the money, because big money DEs aren't what Nolan's scheme is about.

Guest Gritz

Actually, although my response seemed smartazz, there was an element of seriousness to it.

I don't think Nolan's philosophy hinges on having dominant defensive ends. I think his philosphy really hinges more on freeing up free shots at the QBs by blitzers. Thus, his comments "I'd rather have 10 players with 4 sacks than 4 players with 10 sacks."

I think Mario Williams would be nice, but not nearly worth the money, because big money DEs aren't what Nolan's scheme is about.

Yeah, you're dead on with that take.....From what I have seen and read of Nolan's defensive philosophies there is enough creativity and nimbleness in his hybrid schemes to create pressure.

I'm stoked to see what he can do, regardless of what personnel he has to work with.