Since Everyone Seems To Have Massive Boner Over The Thought Of Overpaying Supermario..

Mario replaces Abe, Hayden replaced? he barely played... Lofton cant b replaced but either way i see him walking so u draft someone Mychal Kendricks? and have him comepete with Dent. Snelling is replaceable, u draft his and possibly Turners future replacement, plus based of the contracts for Decoud and Biermann, who knows what the F.O could wrkout for Mario WIlliams.

If we are going to overpay anyone in FA, I'd want it to be Mario. I don't want him if it means we neglect the OL another year, but I don't think going after Mario Williams is a pipe dream for a team losing their best pass rusher. Looking back, don't we all wish we grabbed Peppers instead of the Bears? I've seen enough evidence where we can get Williams and still make the moves necessary to address the OL. It will be tough, but possible.

Who do we get to replace Lofton, Abe and all the other potential FAs that will more than likely get lost if we go after MW?

Let's just say, we lose Lofton, Snelling, Douglas, Abraham and Hayden.

Who do we get to fill in those spots? I'm honestly curious.

Crowder, Nance, Cone, Williams, Franks/Walls

If you sign Mario, you have to deal with another year of Matt Ryan getting killed by defensive linemen. Period.

If you deal with what you have on defense and try to upgrade it, instead of dismantling it, you will have a solid defense with a more explosive offense. Which is what I'd rather have.

I don't think that's the case. You can sign Mario for a low base, with a big signing bonus that gets spread throughout the contract. We have and can make enough room to get Mario, re-sign Lofton, and address the OL. It won't be easy, but it's very possible. I don't want to use Philly as an example, because it didn't work out too great for them, but it shows you can make it work if you really want it to.

Let's not forget that Blank is ready and willing to go over the salary cap and pay the luxury tax for doing so. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we land Williams(DE), Nicks(OL), and resign Lofton.

in order for this team to move forward, we need a breath of fresh air. That fresh air might suggest saying goodbye to ABe. He has ultimately given us all he had. Time to look to the future.

The constant talk about the offensive line seems to be a major concern as well. Let's be honest, they weren't terrible. A few tweaks and this unit should be fine. Let's see what the new OL coach brings to the table before we write them off.

I'm optimistic that the coaching changes will be the key to The Falcons getting over the hump. It is my hope that these coaches get out of our players what we were anticipating when we drafted/signed them.

Nolan is going to bring a defensive intensity unlike anything Atlanta has seen in a long time.

Who do we get to replace Lofton, Abe and all the other potential FAs that will more than likely get lost if we go after MW?

As others have said, MW obviously replaces Abe.

Douglas hasn't done a ton, so he wouldn't be difficult to replace (although I'd rather keep him, I think he has potential).

Snelling ain't done crap, easily replaceable.

Hayden barely played. Injured a lot. That's what Franks is for.

Lofton is the only one that we should truly worry about, but I think TD can work it to keep him.

I would be ok with not getting Mario, but I do think he would be a big help.

Mario replaces Abraham

Dent & Crowder compete in camp to replace Lofton

Franks is ready to replace Hayden

---

If Douglas is cheap, re-sign him.

If not, Early Doucet could be an option. So could Eddie Royal.

If Snelling is cheap, re-sign him.

If not, Terrance Ganaway in the draft or a min salary guy in FA

If Redman is cheap, re-sign him.

If not, David Garrard knows the system.

If Sanders is cheap, re-sign him.

If not, there will be several 3rd safeties out there in FA.

Todd McClure and Mike Peterson will either return for a reasonable sum or retire.

Zelenka, Weems and Kelly have little or no market value so we can keep them if we choose.

I'd be fine with it. If Lofton made more splash plays, maybe not. He is solid yet replaceable.

HD and Hayden contracts should still be able to be worked out if Super Mario is signed.

If Josh Morgan is healthy, he's a solid fallback.

Snelling can be replaced via the draft.

Hayden didn't cost that much in the first place plus with his injury issues I'm not sure we're keeping him anyway. Owens has shown that as long as you put him on the outside he's ok, just don't put him in the slot. Plus, we might get lucky and hit on the Walls UDFA signing from last year. There's certainly potential there.

Douglas's numbers aren't exactly going to be difficult to replace. He isn't going to be getting a large contract anyway if we want him there's always a way to make room.

Snelling, like Douglas, won't be getting a large contract either. He is great to have because he can back up two positions but how big of a loss would that really be? We all want to see Rodgers get the ball more anyway.

Some reports are saying they will give Dent a shot if Lofton is gone. I don't know how that will pan out but we did draft him too high to just be a back up.

Abe's replacement is kind of obvious isn't it?

If you sign Mario, you have to deal with another year of Matt Ryan getting killed by defensive linemen. Period.

If you deal with what you have on defense and try to upgrade it, instead of dismantling it, you will have a solid defense with a more explosive offense. Which is what I'd rather have.

you don't know what you are talking about. Falcons have room to sign Mario and accomplish all needs - this has been gone through before. I will hit the highlights for you again.

Falcons $31 million under salary cap 10 days ago.

Falcons re-sign Bierrman (assume $2 million cap hit - 3yrs $9 million)

Falcons re-sign Decoud (assume $2 million cap hit - 5yrs, $17.5 million)

Falcons franchise Brent Grimes ($10.6 million cap hit - assuming no long-term deal gets signed)

That leaves $16.4 million in cap space which is not much if you want to sign Mario - but that is before the Falcons make any cap saving moves - and they will make them.

Cut Ovie - saves $3 million

Cut Baker - saves $2.6 million

Extend/Re-Structure Matt Ryan - save $5 million

Saves another $10.6 million (there are probably other moves to make)

We would be back up to $27 million in cap space

Sign Mario Williams to a 7yr, $100 million deal ($14.3millon average - 2012 cap charge $10 million)

That would still leave Falcons with $17 million in cap room to sign an offensive lineman starter (guard or tackle), consider re-signing Lofton or another free agent, and signing some of our back-ups at lower levels

In 2013, Michael Turner will likely be cut (saves $5million/yr and Tony Gonzalez comes off books at $7 million/yr)

Anybody that thinks signing Mario Williams will cripple this team from salary-cap standpoint does not know what they are talking about.

Oh yeah, and we still would have 2nd and 3rd round draft picks - that if smartly made - could have some type of impact in 2012.

People keep saying stupid **** like this as if they really understand how to manipulate the cap.

We can clear all the money we need to sign the players we really want.

Maybe I am off here, but it looks like TD is up to something big. We've gotten two pieces, one key, and the other a complimentary piece (Decoud and Biermann) both signed for basically the money out of the couch in TD's office. I mean both deals are set up to allow us room to do other things. Not sure if those other things are MW and Nicks, but I'm down to play the game.

Abe - Replaced by Williams

Lofton - As has been reported/speculated on, sign Crowder to compete with Dent for that role. I do think the production would dip at the beginning of the season, but as we are playing the 4-3/3-4 hybrid, I would like to see both guys there.

Douglas - Meier is another year removed from his ACL and Cone has been kept around for a reason...perhaps it was due to the impending departure of HD.

Hayden - Between, Franks, Walls, and Owens, I think he is easily replaceable, and wasn't a game changer for us when he was healthy enough to play.