Just A Thought

capologist

Keeping in mind that Nolan runs a hybrid defense (as Knight of God so eloquently broke down), some signings make more sense to me.

1. Getting Biermann re-signed. Yes, he can play with his hand on the ground but he also has the ability to play standing up.

2. Signing Mario Williams. Same as above.

Definitely gives the team flexibility in terms of 3-4 since both can be stand up LB's in that scheme:

4-3

LDE: Edwards

RDE: Williams

UT: Babineaux

NT: Peters

WLB: Weatherspoon

MLB: Lofton/Dent/Crowder/somebody

SLB: Nicholas

CB: Robinson

CB: Grimes

FS: DeCoud

SS: Moore

3-4

RDE: Babineaux

LOLB: Williams

ILB: Spoon

ILB: Lofton/Nicholas/Crowder/somebody

ROLB: Biermann

Just a thought...

Keeping in mind that Nolan runs a hybrid defense (as Knight of God so eloquently broke down), some signings make more sense to me.

1. Getting Biermann re-signed. Yes, he can play with his hand on the ground but he also has the ability to play standing up.

2. Signing Mario Williams. Same as above.

Definitely gives the team flexibility in terms of 3-4 since both can be stand up LB's in that scheme:

4-3

RDE: Williams

UT: Babineaux

WLB: Weatherspoon

MLB: Lofton/Dent/Crowder/somebody

SLB: Nicholas

3-4

RDE: Babineaux

LOLB: Williams

ILB: Spoon

ILB: Lofton/Nicholas/Crowder/somebody

ROLB: Biermann

Just a thought...

I'm pretty sure Ray Edwards would be an SOLB in a 3-4 - the Pats were interested in him back when they were looking for edge rusher. Sid and Kroy are obvious conversion candidates, and I imagine Cliff Matthews would be ok in the role too.

I think what we mainly lack is 3-4 ends - our DT's are not the longest (6'2 mostly) and the prototype is 6'6 300, which is a different body type. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a 3/5 tech with length in the 3rd or 5th this year - Kheeston Randall, Kendall Reyes, Dominique Hamliton or Derek Wolfe would all be the types I'm talking about.

Edited by FalcoChicquera

Babs playing 3-4 DE is a stretch ..He had a down year inside ..He will generate no pressure on outside and just contain run ..He is the proto typical UT in 4-3 scheme . Mario wasnt thrilled when Texans made switch to 3-4 and stated he rather be in 4-3 scheme

Capologist - didnt you make thread not to long ago about giving SIDBURY a chance ..yet not even listed on depth chart

if this was under BVG it makes total sense to go after Williams ..

Under Nolan not so much ...We can still make switch

Babs playing 3-4 DE is a stretch ..He had a down year inside ..He will generate no pressure on outside and just contain run ..He is the proto typical UT in 4-3 scheme . Mario wasnt thrilled when Texans made switch to 3-4 and stated he rather be in 4-3 scheme

Capologist - didnt you make thread not to long ago about giving SIDBURY a chance ..yet not even listed on depth chart

That is really all that you want you DE in the 3-4 to do. You want a NT to take up 2 players on the blitzing ILB side and have the DE play the run while you ROLB is the edge rusher.

I really like that versatility on the defense with the 4-3 and 3-4 looks. I understand we need some offensive line. But for god sakes anyone who can sit here and say they do not want Mario Williams is a absolute fool. He is arguably the top DE in the league.

That is really all that you want you DE in the 3-4 to do. You want a NT to take up 2 players on the blitzing ILB side and have the DE play the run while you ROLB is the edge rusher.

somewhat true but you can have 3-4 DE that can also generate pass rush when singled up on a T ..Babs dont have the speed

nor agility to play DE in 3-4 scheme ..He also cant lose contain on sweep running plays ..Babs is great inside where he can use his quickness off guards ...

Not really sure Babs can play 3-4 DE ...I think Edwards def can and has body frame to add lil more weight

somewhat true but you can have 3-4 DE that can also generate pass rush when singled up on a T ..Babs dont have the speed

nor agility to play DE in 3-4 scheme ..He also cant lose contain on sweep running plays ..Babs is great inside where he can use his quickness off guards ...

Not really sure Babs can play 3-4 DE ...I think Edwards def can and has body frame to add lil more weight

By far he would have his fair share of screw ups, but would be just a stop gap and we would use the 3-4 very sparingly this year. He would more than likely be a RDE and that would be MW, biermann, or sids side rushing so he would have a lot of help to cover up his faults.

It's not a full depth chart. Of course Sidbury is there to rotate in but this was done based on the reality of the situation. I believe there is enough smoke that we will go after Mario so that's the scenarios I look at...

Now do a depth chart for offense....Since you have Mario on there, I'm sure the OL would look like a disaster

WR: White

WR: Jones

WR: Douglas

TE: Gonzalez

QB: Ryan

RB: Turner/Rodgers

FB: Cox (maybe Mughelli at a reduced number)

LT: McNeil or Demetrius Bell

LG: Nicks

C: Hawley

RG: Blalock

RT: Clabo

Granted going for it in this manner, means making some moves but honestly, I'd cut Mughelli and Baker to make room for Nicks...

WR: White

WR: Jones

WR: Douglas

TE: Gonzalez

QB: Ryan

RB: Turner/Rodgers

FB: Cox (maybe Mughelli at a reduced number)

LT: McNeil or Demetrius Bell

LG: Nicks

C: Hawley

RG: Blalock

RT: Clabo

Granted going for it in this manner, means making some moves but honestly, I'd cut Mughelli and Baker to make room for Nicks...

No way we can afford McNeil and Nicks after picking up Mario.......

No way we can afford McNeil and Nicks after picking up Mario.......

McNeil isn't going to get a big money deal with the neck issues. If it can be worked for Mario to have a 7 million hit (as Pat Kirwan pointed out) then the same (or even less) is true with Nicks. Would we necessarily get Lofton? Not so sure about that one...

this is such a refreshing thread after seeing folks waste good energy debating why we should dump ryan for manning right now... wacko.png

I think what will really be awesome is if we can field a talented group on D who can stay on the field and switch in a moments notice between both looks... Surely we can't be that far away...

If we go Oline for the big investments, I would be a happy man as well. I just want to see us really shake it up so we can be in a frenzy come preseason and game 1.

Especially in light of the big turd about to float right down the mighty mississippi and park itself in nawlins...

McNeil isn't going to get a big money deal with the neck issues. If it can be worked for Mario to have a 7 million hit (as Pat Kirwan pointed out) then the same (or even less) is true with Nicks. Would we necessarily get Lofton? Not so sure about that one...

and Grimes franchise signed...no way buddy ..not going happen

and Grimes franchise signed...no way buddy ..not going happen

Obviously there is a way. Whether they choose that way or not, I don't know.

Not like I didn't get an expert's opinion on it and not like I haven't messed around with cap numbers and contracts for about 11 years now--just sayin'...

People building this dream team in their heads, I think it's funny. It's going to be a lot of hurt feelings come next week...

No hurt feelings from me, I'm just looking at options and these are legitimate options. We may choose to just sign a LT like McNeil and draft a guard. Who knows, I'm just going off of what is possible...

Obviously there is a way. Whether they choose that way or not, I don't know.

Not like I didn't get an expert's opinion on it and not like I haven't messed around with cap numbers and contracts for about 11 years now--just sayin'...

No hurt feelings from me, I'm just looking at options and these are legitimate options. We may choose to just sign a LT like McNeil and draft a guard. Who knows, I'm just going off of what is possible...

with this team ANYTHING is possible if they really want to do it........they can find the cap space if they truly want a player or two or even three

My #1 FA on my wish list is NT Paul Solial. #2 is a vet CB to play nickel. A guy like Mario Williams that could play RDE as well as OLB would be ideal but is it realistic? I would really like to have Abraham in that role if we can't sign Mario. We probably end up with neither. I would be happy with a 3-4 RDE as my 3rd and final FA amoung starters with a guy like Adam Carriker or Jonathan Fanene.

RDE-Biermann

NT-Solial

UT-Peters

LDE-Edwards

WLB-Weatherspoon

MLB-Dent

SLB-Nicholas

RCB-Robinson

FS-DeCoud

SS-Moore

LCB-Grimes

NB-? Since this is a starter, we should sign a vet and there are a lot of CB's on the market this year.

All draft picks for defense need to be for depth. The starters need to be in place before the draft.

3-4 Sub Carriker for Dent. Sub Nicholas for nickelback vs 3 WR set.

RE-Carriker or Fanene

NT-Solial

LE-Peters

OLB-Biermann

ILB-Weatherspoon

ILB-Nicholas

OLB-Edwards

CB-Robinson

FS-DeCoud

SS-Moore

CB-Grimes

CB-FA