I'm About To Ask Pat Kirwan And Tim Ryan About O-Line

capologist

Pat broke it down to where Mario could have a possible $7 million cap hit (which makes sense).

We'll have cap room to make o-line moves problem is they aren't too keen on the LT's in free agency.

It's going to be interesting to see what we do that's for sure.

But as I told the guys, I want to do whatever we have to do in order to make sure that Matty Ice doesn't turn into Matty Puddle of Water...

Pat broke it down to where Mario could have a possible $7 million cap hit (which makes sense).

We'll have cap room to make o-line moves problem is they aren't too keen on the LT's in free agency.

But as I told the guys, I want to do whatever we have to do in order to make sure that Matty Ice doesn't turn into Matty Puddle of Water...

7 million no way. Everyone on here has told me the richest contract ever for a DE. They have to know more than them.

/sarcasm

How would you do that? A lower base salary, and spread a big signing bonus over the rest?

7 million no way. Everyone on here has told me the richest contract ever for a DE. They have to know more than them.

/sarcasm

LOL

Well, 6 year 90 million deal with 30 million signing bonus

1 million base = 7 (bonus prorated over the first 5 years of the deal)

Then you'd have a roster bonus in there somewhere with more jack. Think DeCoud's deal but bigger numbers.

The reason these type of deals are smart right now is because the cap is expected to take a pretty big jump next season...

LOL

Then you'd have a roster bonus in there somewhere with more jack. Think DeCoud's deal but bigger numbers.

The reason these type of deals are smart right now is because the cap is expected to take a pretty big jump next season...

Good point. TV contract money.

LOL

Then you'd have a roster bonus in there somewhere with more jack...

I have said the same thing, but get flame sprayed saying he is going to get like 500 million over 3 years there is no way, I repeat no way he will be here. Thanks for asking someone who gets paid to think about this stuff and passing it on.

I have said the same thing, but get flame sprayed saying he is going to get like 500 million over 3 years there is no way, I repeat no way he will be here. Thanks for asking someone who gets paid to think about this stuff and passing it on.

No prob, I'm just guessing like everyone else so I like hearing the opinions of an ex-player and an ex-nfl exec... :)

They also said that this year and it didnt ..

If Grimes just signs the Tender and no long term deal worked out even with Mario and a 7 mil cap hit still a stretch

How would you do that? A lower base salary, and spread a big signing bonus over the rest?

Just remember:

Ryan's cap hit in the first year of his 6yr $72MM contract was $2.8MM.

Nobody wants to listen to the logic around here when it comes to Williams because they don't want to get their hopes up and it doesn't happen. I said it plenty of times and even posted an article saying the same thing.

If Grimes just signs the Tender and no long term deal worked out even with Mario and a 7 mil cap hit still a stretch

When did they say the cap or TV money was going to kick in for this year? Never. Lol if they did, it would have happened. It's not something that is just tentative.

^^^^^^^^^

Like Vel and Capologist have mentioned the CAP isn't an issue if teams want a player bad enough they will structure accordingly as Vel and Cap mentioned the Pat Kirwin article had a scenario that the Texans could keep MW Chris Meyers and there resigned FA's with only 5 mill in cap space,apparently to do this they'd need 50 mill in actual cap room.

But you will get alot of people on here who will only see 30 mill in cap room this player takes this and this player takes that and how can we afford this but they are'nt looking at it how the FO's looks at it as it isn't black and white.

^^^^^^^^^

Like Vel and Capologist have mentioned the CAP isn't an issue if teams want a player bad enough they will structure accordingly as Vel and Cap mentioned the Pat Kirwin article had a scenario that the Texans could keep MW Chris Meyers and there resigned FA's with only 5 mill in cap space,apparently to do this they'd need 50 mill in actual cap room.

But you will get alot of people on here who will only see 30 mill in cap room this player takes this and this player takes that and how can we afford this but they are'nt looking at it how the FO's looks at it as it isn't black and white.

Exactly a player will take a small first year and second year salary with a nice signing bonus. Your base salary could be 15 million over the first two years, but if your signing bonus is 35 million who cares.

Not sure what they you were listening to but the NFL Channel always said this year would be roughly the same as last season's cap number...

For Williams to have a smaller initial cap hit, his bonus will be pretty big. That's a hard pill for owners to swallow but I don't think Blank will shutter if it means getting Williams

Yeah but 30 milliion can be recouped fairly quick. He could put more fans in the seats that were not there last year. When you have fans in the seats beers are bought, food and soda is consumed, and merchandise is purchased. He could put us to that point and we could win a home playoff game or two and his initial investment is recouped. I do see what you mean though 30 million in 30 seconds is hard for anyone to give up.

Not sure what they you were listening to but the NFL Channel always said this year would be roughly the same as last season's cap number...

They said the cap will be higher this coming season and it wasnt .

Talk in league circles that the number have been tabulated, and that the number is lower than expected.

The number had been expected to be at least $120 million or so per team. Though the rumor is unconfirmed, don’t be surprised if it’s lower than expected. Some are saying that the number will be nearly the same as it was in 2011.

Edited by Swift&Change

So some say lower than expected and others say nearly the same as 2011. Two different things, nothing concrete, and just a rumor. If this is true, then go ahead and get your Mario Williams jersey as well, and listen to any other rumor that comes out

This is as I thought, we use free agency to fix the defense and use the draft to fix the O-line. The current crop of LT that are available in FA really isn't that special and with a good class of both tackles and guards in the draft we stand a better chance of grabbing a good prospect at # 55 rather trying to get a project DE at the same spot.

Makes sense to me.

I'm more worried about our off line than I am anything else........after they fix that I don't care who they sign on def as long as it helps the team

sam

I agree 100%. Fixing the OL is priority #1. That said, Nicks is the only superstar OLineman out there, and our chances of getting a starting LT in the late 2nd round is nil. If we can score Nicks and Mario, we should try. Then maybe we can find a midtier LT to compete with Svitek and hope we can get a LT in the draft next year.

Here's Kirwan's explanation and link to article: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17527224

The right deal might be six years for $90 million with a $30 million signing bonus and a $1 million salary in the first year. That means Williams sees $31 million the first year.

The cap charge for that deal is only $6 million in 2012: Divide the number of years (6) into the bonus ($30 million) to get a yearly proration of $5 million plus a $1 million salary. The second-year salary could be $3 million, which means he sees $34 million in the first two years. That is a $17 million average and a second-year cap charge of $8 million, which is tolerable. A third season at a $7 million salary means a three-year average of $13.6 million, or slightly above Peppers' three-year average. The cap charge for the third year would be $12 million.