Falcons Would Fare Just Fine Without Turner

Maybe it was the run blocking being underwhelming this season but after watching Michael Turtle carry each game I became greatly angered. He isn't playing like he wants to win and he doesn't really show any remorse for a horrible play. Turner isn't hungry for a Championship...he is just simply hungry for the next meal. He is getting slower by the season and the next season won't show any progressions...only regressions. Turner got his big pay out and has been on the decline ever since. The first season I loved him...the second season I liked him..now I'm just putting up with him. Please don't bring numbers into it because we all know the game was put on him after Matt Ryan started showing signs of discouragement. He attempted enough carries to have the numbers he had...he just isn't exciting anymore. I am thankful for what he's done but I want to see the Falcons win...we need a complete team and Turner is 3 years out of his prime and their is no point to keep paying him when we can get youthful talent with ACTUAL speed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not expectations...it's actual play. I saw so many plays in which a more shifty and faster back would have easily made a 2-3 gain for Turtle to only take a 1-2 loss which does not open the playbook up one bit. Turner just isn't the premier back we had anymore and it would be wise to let him go and use his cap space wisely because the draft is not going to go our way.

well, hate to crap on your first post, but I think the coach made it pretty clear that Turner is going to be the main back again for 2012.

I know his YPC slipped at the end of the season, but you cant completely dismiss that the guy led the NFC in rushing, and when his play slipped at seasons end it was after he lost the 2nd best FB in the NFL. The guy had to take on more defenders behind the line than anyone I have seen all season. I also follow the Ravens, and Rice never dealt with the lack of line play that Turner did. Losing Dahl hurt Turner as much as it did Ryan.

He seems to have lost some speed for sure, but I think it is nuts to think he is easily replaced.

Maybe it was the run blocking being underwhelming this season but after watching Michael Turtle carry each game I became greatly angered. He isn't playing like he wants to win and he doesn't really show any remorse for a horrible play. Turner isn't hungry for a Championship...he is just simply hungry for the next meal. He is getting slower by the season and the next season won't show any progressions...only regressions. Turner got his big pay out and has been on the decline ever since. The first season I loved him...the second season I liked him..now I'm just putting up with him. Please don't bring numbers into it because we all know the game was put on him after Matt Ryan started showing signs of discouragement. He attempted enough carries to have the numbers he had...he just isn't exciting anymore. I am thankful for what he's done but I want to see the Falcons win...we need a complete team and Turner is 3 years out of his prime and their is no point to keep paying him when we can get youthful talent with ACTUAL speed.

whoa_gif.gif

My first post under this account. I'm no newbie to this forum. I've been coming here for 7 years but that's beside the point. Mike Smith can be using smoke and mirrors to actually fool teams that he is still worth his contract value. Maybe they have a trade up their sleeves or something but I know Mike Smith can't be naive enough to believe Turner is going to come into training camp any lighter, faster, and agile than he is now. I honestly don't like his "oh well" attitude after he bums on a play or the o-line bums. Turner has been great but we all know he isn't what his numbers display...especially if you actually watch the games.

It's not expectations...it's actual play. I saw so many plays in which a more shifty and faster back would have easily made a 2-3 gain for Turtle to only take a 1-2 loss which does not open the playbook up one bit. Turner just isn't the premier back we had anymore and it would be wise to let him go and use his cap space wisely because the draft is not going to go our way.

This team already has more than enough cap space to address needs. Any more and they'll end up giving out contracts that out-value talent.

can we discuss how Turner will be effective in the new offense? Ovie is probably cut, Turner has shown he needs a good FB, however with our transition to a more vertical passing offense how often would a FB even be on the field? for me the question with Turner is can he produce as a single back? it is hard to say yes to that.

nevertheless Turner will most likely be a Falcon for another year.

can we discuss how Turner will be effective in the new offense? Ovie is probably cut, Turner has shown he needs a good FB, however with our transition to a more vertical passing offense how often would a FB even be on the field? for me the question with Turner is can he produce as a single back? it is hard to say yes to that.

Though it hurts me to accept it... he will likely be a Falcon next year. Hopefully he finds a new found drive to win next season instead of just being content with "his" numbers when they mean nothing with a ring.

Same song from last year about a vertical passing game. Ryan doesn't have the arm strength to throw a consistent deep ball or into tight windows. Turner will still be featured extensively. Don't want Brees and Newton getting the ball back too quickly.

Same song from last year about a vertical passing game. Ryan doesn't have the arm strength to throw a consistent deep ball or into tight windows. Turner will still be featured extensively. Don't want Brees and Newton getting the ball back too quickly.

here we go again.

and on top of that coach Smith has already said Turner will be on a "pitch count" which means more Quiz and Snelling(if kept) since you will probably see alot more screens and backs catching passes

I'm a Michael Turner fan, and I'm not ready to let him go. I would like to see him step up in his leadership and play with more fire. I think Matt and Tony are the only true leaders we have on offense. I think Roddy and Turner have to step up in critical games and take some of the load off of Matt. People dog Matt for struggling in big games, yet Roddy and Turner totally disappear, and don't get enough flak for it.

well you are starting a different discussion with your points. to address that briefly, it is not the same song from last year because MM is no longer here & Koetter was brought in to incorporate a vertical passing offense because that is his scheme. as to Ryan's arm strength, while I agree he is not great with the deep ball, a 4-vertical offense does not mean only deep throws. it spreads out the defense vertically as well as horizontally, but again, that is another discussion.

my previous question has to do with Turner's possible effectiveness without a FB. this is an important question because it seems to me that we will play with more 3-wide sets to stretch the field, which means there is no FB unless TG (TE) is on the bench.

Ryan also needs to step up but he at least as the upside to improve in his favor. Turner doesn't. He is not going to be any better next year than he was the previous two years. I don't know the free agent RBs available but I know there will be a few upgrades.

Turner piled up the yards in a predictable offense. Don't know what more some of you guys expect of the man.

I want him to be a bowling bowl. He is a north and south down hill here I come you better move, or watch out. He has too many plays that he runs up to the line and puts his hand on the o line back tip toes back and forth then goes. The man is 245 pounds and can move a pile and gain 2-3 yards when nothing is there just by a simple push alone. There is not a DT in the league that can with stand an OL and Turner pushing against them. Also, he has the plays to where he wants to be a shifty back and juke outside and try and be warrick dunn, LT, Barry, or AP and that is not his game.

well you are starting a different discussion with your points. to address that briefly, it is not the same song from last year because MM is no longer here & Koetter was brought in to incorporate a vertical passing offense because that is his scheme. as to Ryan's arm strength, while I agree he is not great with the deep ball, a 4-vertical offense does not mean only deep throws. it spreads out the defense vertically as well as horizontally, but again, that is another discussion.

my previous question has to do with Turner's possible effectiveness without a FB. this is an important question because it seems to me that we will play with more 3-wide sets to stretch the field, which means there is no FB unless TG (TE) is on the bench.

Distilled to a single thought. The team needs Turner until Ryan proves he can win with his arm.