The Falcons Have A Nack For Picking 2Nd And 3Rd Round Talent In The Draft

tobyd77

Listen Lofton a second rounder, Douglas a 3rd rounder and peters a 3rd rounder have given the falcons some major production so I'm confident in our 2nd and third round selections especially with Nolan Pat hill and Koetter here to help with the development of those guys who ever it is.

All three of those guys would have gotten paid had they hit the open market in 2012 and two in Douglas and Lofton just might if they should not return as a Falcon in 2012. So TD and company should be excited based on the results that they have gotten at those selections of the 2nd and 3rd round with the depth that this years draft has to offer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in the last 4 years they have drafted 9 players in the 2nd+3rd rounds

yet you mention only 3

All you have to do is mention the other 6 and the success rate that they have provided for the team since than instead of tying to jump on my head about.Why don't you try further educating me on that. I didn't start really watching all of the draft until 2010 as far as the falcons are concerned to so whowe were going to pick up. I just mentioned the once who have received the most press as of recent years.

Lofton is a good player, no doubt, but not an exceptional pick for a high 2nd rounder, given his position is MLB. Douglas never cracked the starting rotation and Peters is TBD. With no 2nd rounders in each of the last 2 drafts, I'd say that Atlanta's draft haul for rounds 2/3 is among the weakest in the league during the TD era.

Note I went back add added the 1st rounders

1 Ryan started at QB 8,9,10,11

1 Baker started at OLT 8,9,10,11 often injured

2 Lofton started at MLB 8,9,10,11

3 CB Chavis Jackson gone

3 WR Harry Douglas ???

3 DeCoud started at FS 9,10,11

1 DT Perry IR 9, rotational 10,11

2 William Moore started at SS 10,11

3 CB Chris Owens ????

1. Weatherspoon started SLB 10, started WLB 11

3 Peters started at DT p/o 10 and all of 11

3 OG M Johnson gameday inactive 10, 1/2 11 on IR

1 WR J Jones started at #2 WR 11

3 LB Akeem Dent ???- good on ST

Edited by delaigle

Lofton is a good player, no doubt, but not an exceptional pick for a high 2nd rounder, given his position is MLB. Douglas never cracked the starting rotation and Peters is TBD. With no 2nd rounders in each of the last 2 drafts, I'd say that Atlanta's draft haul for rounds 2/3 is among the weakest in the league during the TD era.

I heard what you are saying about Douglas --- but I keep wondering

MM did not design or call many 3WR plays-- most were 2WR + TE

Ryan seldom I mean seldom threw to the #3 WR on the infrequent occasions

when there was one in the line-up.

I just do not think he has had a decent chance YET so -- I'm still unsure about him

Add that to the very spotty draft record for 1st rounders e.g. Jerry, Baker, and what is the true "unfiltered" record for the Falcons draft under TD/MS?

I would say

3 very good Ryan, Weatherspoon, J Jones

1 Average Baker

1 bust (so far) Jerry

But that's just my thought

Mortgaging the farm to acquire Julio Jones tells you a lot about what the team thinks of Harry Douglas

Never looked at it that way

Never thought of Douglas as a #1 or #2 always think of him as a #3

JJones I see as a #2 now and a future #1 an investment to replace White in the future.

this (12) will be Roddy's 8th season

Edited by delaigle

Guest Fibonacci

I heard what you are saying about Douglas --- but I keep wondering

MM did not design or call many 3WR plays-- most were 2WR + TE

Ryan seldom I mean seldom threw to the #3 WR on the infrequent occasions

when there was one in the line-up.

I just do not think he has had a decent chance YET so -- I'm still unsure about him

I think Douglas will end up being a solid number 2. just because when it was throw to him, he did something with it. also he put up more yardage in one game compared to the games Julio played this year. and that one game was the saints where he did not get throw to until after Julio got hurt. I'm not saying HD is better, just simply he is a lot better then people realize. I really do hope we are able to re-sign him.

Falcons already had Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. Who did the Pats have? Moss only cost them a 4th round pick.

One is a TE so that is out of the picture when it comes to talking about not having "faith" in a WR. They gave up a second for Welker, so again you are not showing much by going out and getting someone else when you just gave up a second round pick for someone.

To the OP point, a #3 WR isn't a very good return on a 2/3 rd draft pick.

Go ask the Packers how they feel about nelson, the saints with henderson, or the Giants with manningham. If he was used properly he would be a good pick. Give him a chance with a true football minded coach not someone that we were warned about from previous teams fans that they are going to be so stagnant and predictable and thanking us for taking him off their hands.

Go ask the Packers how they feel about nelson, the saints with henderson, or the Giants with manningham. If he was used properly he would be a good pick. Give him a chance with a true football minded coach not someone that we were warned about from previous teams fans that they are going to be so stagnant and predictable and thanking us for taking him off their hands.

Didn't seem to hurt Roddy White's numbers. Julio Jones piled up some pretty good stats despite missing about 5 games worth of playing time.

One is a TE so that is out of the picture when it comes to talking about not having "faith" in a WR. They gave up a second for Welker, so again you are not showing much by going out and getting someone else when you just gave up a second round pick for someone.

TE are weapons in the passing game, just like WR. If you have a good TE, it limits the value of a #2 WR.

Did you watch any Pats games and see Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski?

Didn't seem to hurt Roddy White's numbers. Julio Jones piled up some pretty good stats despite missing about 5 games worth of playing time.

DING DING DING we have a clueless winner. How many 3 wideout sets did we truly run last year that had good play design. It is one thing to draw up plays with just 2 WR running routes, but when you have to make sure that you are incorporating a 3 WR in the routes it gets a little bit harder.

Look at the 3 games that he started and average that over a 16 games season and he cracks 1k receiving, but that is garbage for a 3WR. He was not used properly and it hurt him immensely.

TE are weapons in the passing game, just like WR. If you have a good TE, it limits the value of a #2 WR.

Did you watch any Pats games and see Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski?

But they are not WR, or they would be split out wide every play. Being covered by a LB and being covered by a CB is two completely different things.