Falcons Pr: No First Round Draft Pick This Year, Back-2-Back Playoff Disappointments - You Know Arthur Wants A High Profile Free Agent Signing....

g-dawg

The Atlanta Falcons have always been very "PR" conscious since Arthur Blank took over. The man sold a lot of hammers and shovels in his day and he knows how to promote a product.

• Falcons are a good but not great team.
  • Falcons have had B2B humiliating playoff losses
  • Falcons splashed with Julio Jones trade in 2011
  • Falcons splashed with Dunta Robinson FA signing in 2010
  • Falcons splashed with Tony Gonzalez trade in 2009
  • Falcons splashed with Michael Turner & Matt Ryan in 2008
  • Arthur knows the fans will be clamoring for "something" in 2012

While I'm the first to agree that you don't run an NFL franchise simply to please the fans and do what the fans want - I think Thomas Dimitroff has autonomy to make the moves he sees fit - I think Arthur tells Tommy Boy - whatever you want/whatever it takes - money is no object - you will have what you need - I want a winner.

I just don't think bringing back the same team in 2012 as you had in 2011 was ever really an option. Bringing back all three: BRENT GRIMES, CURTIS LOFTON, JOHN ABRAHAM - I don't think this has ever been "the plan". The Falcons circa 2011 was a stale team and everybody knows it - that is why Dimitroff said two months ago "we have about 18 players that are unrestricted free agents and probably only about 1/2 will be back - there are no sacred cows".

There is no 1st round draft pick to promote/sell tickets in 2012. Falcons are going to do SOMETHING bold - they always do - its downright predictable.

What would be considered a BOLD move? I can think of only two:

1. Sign Mario Williams, DE-Texans (6'6", 283lbs)
  2. Sign Carl Nicks, OG-Saints (6'5", 343lbs)

I've also heard Dimitroff say on a few occasions the Falcons want to add "More GIRTH" (translation: get bigger and more physical).....

All of those out there that say Falcons will not make a bold move - why do you say it? Falcons make a bold move every year - you can argue about the results - but Falcons do have a pattern.

I think the pattern holds in 2012 and the Atlanta Falcons make the bold move of signing.........

Mario Williams

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the purpose of this thread is not even to talk about Mario Williams per se. "Yes" i realized I have started a lot of SuperMario threads.

The purpose is simply to discuss "THE PATTERN" that the Falcons have exhibited in last 4 years with at least one SPLASH free agent each year.

I came to this conclusion a while ago. I'm thinking that they will make a strong push for one of them. I'm hoping for Williams but Nicks would be just fine as well. I go so far to believe that TD knew that at least one of these two guys would be available this off season. This is what emboldened him to sacrifice this years 1st round pick for Julio.

I came to this conclusion a while ago. I'm thinking that they will make a strong push for one of them. I'm hoping for Williams but Nicks would be just fine as well. I go so far to believe that TD knew that at least one of these two guys would be available this off season. This is what emboldened him to sacrifice this years 1st round pick for Julio.

I think the pattern is obvious - this is probably why both John Clayton(ESPN) and Jason LaConfora(NFL Network) are both prominently linking Falcons with Mario Williams. Not only is the need for a Defensive End obvious, but Falcons pattern of boldness in offseason and making aggressive moves as well.

I like Carl Nicks and will be happy if we got him as well but I think Mario Williams is the greater need. If we take Nicks, then I hope the Falcons go after Jeremy Mincey(DE) - not near as good as Mario but a nice piece nonetheless.

• Falcons are a good but not great team.
  • Falcons have had B2B humiliating playoff losses
  • Falcons splashed with Julio Jones trade in 2011
  • Falcons splashed with Dunta Robinson FA signing in 2010
  • Falcons splashed with Tony Gonzalez trade in 2009
  • Falcons splashed with Michael Turner & Matt Ryan in 2008
  • Arthur knows the fans will be clamoring for "something" in 2012

Arthur looks at the above and realizes that making splashes only results in mediocrity and postseason disappointment. Vows to never again let the clamoring of moron fans influence how his team is built.

No Mario Williams.

Arthur looks at the above and realizes that making splashes only results in mediocrity and postseason disappointment. Vows to never again let the clamoring of moron fans influence how his team is built.

No Mario Williams.

yeah, you are right - this last four years has been the worst in Falcons history.

"Good but not great team." "B2B humiliating playoff losses."

Your words.

Are you satisfied with those results?

where what 44-20? in the last 4yrs, that sounds pretty good, only pats have done better than us, we've had a rough time in the playoffs, things will turn around. not every team wins the SUperbowl, we are in the right direction

Can TD work some of that New England magic and bring is Nicks, Williams, and possibly Colsten? I know salary cap this and that but what about our sacrificial cows and how NE was always able to bring players in to get rings

The pats bring in Old guys with baggage and hope they can revie their Careers. Not the best guys in FA at their positions.

Can TD work some of that New England magic and bring is Nicks, Williams, and possibly Colsten?

Name one time NE had an offseason like that. They have always acquired value FAs, not expensive ones.

The answer to your question is no. We won't even be able to sign Williams by himself.

Plus Blank & TD smell blood in the water in NO. They know its time to make a move to put us over the top. They remember Saints running up the score on them & pissing on our emblem in the Dome.

If you feel TD will not make a big splash, then you haven't been paying attention to his moves g-dawg has pointed out. I think Mario & Carl will be 2 big names we make serious offers to. Add one of them & perhaps Mincey or McNeil/Grubbs.

Plus Blank & TD smell blood in the water in NO. They know its time to make a move to put us over the top. They remember Saints running up the score on them & pissing on our emblem in the Dome.

If you feel TD will not make a big splash, then you haven't been paying attention to his moves g-dawg has pointed out. I think Mario & Carl will be 2 big names we make serious offers to. Add one of them & perhaps Mincey or McNeil/Grubbs.

I hope you're FO isn't just focus on the saints because that would be a mistake in this division.

where what 44-20? in the last 4yrs, that sounds pretty good, only pats have done better than us, we've had a rough time in the playoffs, things will turn around. not every team wins the SUperbowl, we are in the right direction

Again, I'm not the one complaining about a "good but not great team and B2B humiliating playoff losses."

Those outcomes have resulted from what the OP claims is our "annual big splash PR move" team building philosophy. And yet, for some reason, the OP wants to continue the very trend which has led to those outcomes.

What's that saying again about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Personally, I don't buy for a second that Arthur and/or TD take the uninformed whims of Joe Fan into consideration when making personnel decisions. I'm just playing along with the stupid premise for the sake of argument. These "We will get Mario because <insert wishful thinking here>" threads need to be put in their place.

"Good but not great team." "B2B humiliating playoff losses."

Your words.

Are you satisfied with those results?

I'm not satisfied with trotting out the same old players and hoping for a different result (this is the definition of INSANITY). Are you telling me you would rather bring back 34yr old John Abraham than bring in Mario Williams? If so, then I cannot relate to you at all.

I hope you're FO isn't just focus on the saints because that would be a mistake in this division.

I'm sure their not ignoring the other 2. But as of now, the Saints are the team to beat. Making moves to help beat the best, will help us beat the others as well.