Chevy Volt Named European Car Of The Year. Dumb As Usual...

Guest Deisel

Guest Deisel

A poll came out a couple days ago that woman in Europe wanted Bigger Boobs then a higher IQ at a 50% rate. 30% of those polled said, they'd trade IQ points for bigger boobs. So, this is Europe, who is sinking faster then the titanic and these Boobs just names a discontinued American Flop, their car of the YEAR. How nice. How very sweet and stupidly nice, for them to excelerate off the cliff before us. Oh, BTW- The volt has been discontinued for 5 years......I know, what a shame. http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/automobiles/214155-chevy-volt-dubbed-european-car-of-the-year

Guest Deisel

Okay. So OP doesn't like electric vehicles because of what, again?

I do not like the fact that the Govt is pushing these vehicles on the public after demonizing oil and gas to the point that its warped people opinions on the subject. Its common here and elsewhere that people are so duped into thinking Oil is bad, oil is running out, trucks are bad, etc. that I make a stand that we are being divided by a myth. That myth is MMGW which purposely demonizes America, industry, capitalism and promotes Govt legislation and tampering of the free markets.

Also, these box's cost $40k plus another $8k to charge. You get a measely 35 miles to a charge, then 8 hours to recharge. What a freaking bargain. And the govt subsidizing this is at Tax payer expense as well.

Now, before Jdave jumps me here, I'm for doing away with subsidies for oil companies and subsidies for any private enterprize. I am not for Govt intervention of these types and certainly want FAR less govt intrusion in our soceity and over all less regulation.

Now, before Jdave jumps me here, I'm for doing away with subsidies for oil companies and subsidies for any private enterprize. I am not for Govt intervention of these types and certainly want FAR less govt intrusion in our soceity and over all less regulation.

I'll just say that your ratio of Volt threads to oil subsidy threads is running at about 1,446,932 to 0 right now......

I gotcha. Although I don't believe oil is "bad", I believe that the influence of oil on the world economy and international politics is much too powerful. For example, most of the 9/11 murderers were from "friendly" Arab states (Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt) and we still have problems with people from those countries. However, we consider them allies mainly because of their willingness to keep the taps open. I'd love to ween ourselves off of oil and gas entirely just to eliminate the pretense that we are on good terms with people who, to a large extent, would just as soon see us burn in **** as sit across a table from us.

I have no problem with cars that run on less or no gas. As long as it shows higher performance at a lower cost. Which is not the case yet.

Depends on how you define "performance." In today's economy, with today's traffic, and today's congestion, do we need cars that go 0-60 in 3.9 seconds or cars that get 50+ to infinity MPG?

The Tesla Roadster will give you both, but obviously it doesn't qualify as "lower cost" (though, comparing performance for performance, it probably out-performs any car in the under-$100K range other than maybe a couple of the Corvette models).

Guest Deisel

Daryll Issa states Federal workers NOT driving Volts but trucks. They should be Car of the Year. http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/issa-federal-workers-drive-suvs-not-volts/412541

The Chevy Volt may have won "Car of the Year" in Europe, but Darrell Issa says that the Washington DC drivers who may have promoted the electric/gas hybrid won't even drive it.

"What is the federal workforce driving?" asked Issa on CNBC. "I'll tell you, here in in Washington DC they're driving Excusions they're driving Surburbans, they're driving large SUVs for the accomodation of safty and room."

Issa suggested that the real "Car of the Year" was an SUV or the Ford F-150 pickup.

New products for early adopters are almost never perfect. I remember my first Plasma TV in 2003... it was hotter than my heater, it used my energy than air conditioning and delievered a horrible picture for the content at that time (which was mostly SD) and it also cost a small fortune... but everyone knew, that those flatscreens are the future, would become more reliable and more efficient... my Plasma TV anno 2003 also received many awards despite its flaws, because it was a first significant step in the right direction and so is the Volt

Guest Deisel

New products for early adopters are almost never perfect. I remember my first Plasma TV in 2003... it was hotter than my heater, it used my energy than air conditioning and delievered a horrible picture for the content at that time (which was mostly SD) and it also cost a small fortune... but everyone knew, that those flatscreens are the future, would become more reliable and more efficient... my Plasma TV anno 2003 also received many awards despite its flaws, because it was a first significant step in the right direction and so is the Volt

Herr Doctor. I would agree on the flat screen but to CHANGE the entire electric grid for these electric cars is like Starting over. They may become small bit players, and who knows down the road but the amount of change over, car companies, electric grids and battery technological improvements would take a drastic reengineering feat and trillions of $$$. I just cannot say its even in the near future. I see solar making a much quicker adaptation to our energy needs then this idea. Not all ideas are good ones.

Guest Deisel

This. There is nothing wrong with starting over.

You got to be kidding. Starting over is totally unnecessary and a complete waste.

I do not like the fact that the Govt is pushing these vehicles on the public after demonizing oil and gas to the point that its warped people opinions on the subject. Its common here and elsewhere that people are so duped into thinking Oil is bad, oil is running out, trucks are bad, etc. that I make a stand that we are being divided by a myth. That myth is MMGW which purposely demonizes America, industry, capitalism and promotes Govt legislation and tampering of the free markets.

Also, these box's cost $40k plus another $8k to charge. You get a measely 35 miles to a charge, then 8 hours to recharge. What a freaking bargain. And the govt subsidizing this is at Tax payer expense as well.

So now Obama is pushing them to Europe too? I like how you are for "doing away with subsidies for oil companies and subsidies for any private enterprize" But you don't feel the need to start 10 threads a day about either of those two.why is that , Lilac?

So now Obama is pushing them to Europe too? I like how you are for "doing away with subsidies for oil companies and  subsidies for any private enterprize" But you don't feel the need to start 10 threads a day about either of those two.why is that , Lilac?

I'm sure he'll start one soon and make a half assed attempt at sounding like he really means it, and then get right back to marching to the neoconservative beat...

I have no problem with cars that run on less or no gas. As long as it shows higher performance at a lower cost. Which is not the case yet.

Diesel, especially Volkswagen's 2.0L TDI turbo-diesel, does show far superior economy, excellent performance, triple the engine life expectancy, and will hold a much higher % of resale value.

Herr Doctor. I would agree on the flat screen but to CHANGE the entire electric grid for these electric cars is like Starting over. They may become small bit players, and who knows down the road but the amount of change over, car companies, electric grids and battery technological improvements would take a drastic reengineering feat and trillions of $$$. I just cannot say its even in the near future. I see solar making a much quicker adaptation to our energy needs then this idea. Not all ideas are good ones.

Stable owners, horse breeders, and blacksmiths of the early 20th century would like to have a word with you.