Coy Wire Brought Into Question In Bounty-Gate

Coy Wire, who played for Williams during his stint with the Buffalo Bills, told CNN he was interviewed by NFL security officials on Monday and questioned about "performance incentive" programs.

Wire said Williams was one of the best coaches he's ever played for but got carried away and let the Saints' "bounty" program go too far. Wire is now a motivational speaker and worries about how this scandal will influence young kids learning to play football.

"You want an edge mentally. You want to break your opponent's will to win. In football the best way to break their will is to break their body," Wire said. "We really have to figure out where to draw the line and what kind of rules and regulations need to be drawn up to make sure that nothing goes too far anymore so that we can make a safer game for future players."

I gained a little respect today for Wire when he talked candidly about playing with intent to injure, specifically the Lions running back in 2003 who's collar bone he broke and talked about how ashamed he was of himself.

You think you'd lose some respect for him hearing him talk about it but genuine remorse gets you some big points, especially when you are helping make a case against the Saint's haha

I gained a little respect today for Wire when he talked candidly about playing with intent to injure, specifically the Lions running back in 2003 who's collar bone he broke and talked about how ashamed he was of himself.

You think you'd lose some respect for him hearing him talk about it but genuine remorse gets you some big points, especially when you are helping make a case against the Saint's haha

Agreed.

I can see both sides of the arguments that Ive read from players:

1. Football is Football - it's a violent sport that rewards Hard Hitting. And the Saints are not the only team that does this - they are just the team that got caught.

2. Football is a Career - It's a job and a career for every player. Having a broken neck or spine will not only end that job for a person, but it could debilitate him the rest of his life.

Here is my thought

3. Football is a Violent Sport that you choose to accept. But there have to be rules to protect the Health of everyone who plays. It's a Job - but it's still a sport. And I think all players (employees) should be Sportsmen and do their job within the Rules of the Job (sport).

Exactly, it takes a man to admit his mistakes, it's easy to hide behind a lie. (Sharper)