Kam Wimbley

I saw a report saying Raiders will cut Wimbley unless he takes a paycut (Which would be rediculous he'd rather be a FA clearly)

Wimbley would be good pickup but just being available means there's a bigger market at DE which is a good thing.

If Mario Williams hits FA we should throw the bank at him, Avril would be a good 2nd option but Wimbley looks like a good and cheaper 3rd

I don't know that Wimbley has actually ever played DE. He's been a pass rushing outside linebacker his whole career. I don't know how he would fit into our new defensive scheme if at all. We're pretty good at OLB with Nick and Spoon so unless Wimbley could slide down to the line, for the price he's going to ask, he may not be what we're looking for...

Did a little more research, and he did play DE at FSU although he has never at the pro level... Not real big for a DE (255, but not all that much smaller than Abe)...

Edited by SwampyMux12

I don't know that Wimbley has actually ever played DE. He's been a pass rushing outside linebacker his whole career. I don't know how he would fit into our new defensive scheme if at all. We're pretty good at OLB with Nick and Spoon so unless Wimbley could slide down to the line, for the price he's going to ask, he may not be what we're looking for...

Did a little more research, and he did play DE at FSU although he has never at the pro level... Not real big for a DE (255, but not all that much smaller than Abe)...

So he was a DE in college and moved to 3-4 OLB in the pros. He'd have no problem returning to DE and football is football.

So he was a DE in college and moved to 3-4 OLB in the pros. He'd have no problem returning to DE and football is football.

It's never so simple...

I agree football is football but it's a different world in the NFL. You never know if his body is going to hold up. Playing OLB you're going against TE's and RB's a lot of the time whereas if you're a DE you're going vs. a Tackle the majority of the time. While I agree that he would have the speed to hack it (much like Abe does) you're talking about a guy who's weighs 255 pounds who hasn't played DE for 7 years, and never at the professional level. I would not be so quick to say that he'll be fine because you just never know.

It's never so simple...

I agree football is football but it's a different world in the NFL. You never know if his body is going to hold up. Playing OLB you're going against TE's and RB's a lot of the time whereas if you're a DE you're going vs. a Tackle the majority of the time. While I agree that he would have the speed to hack it (much like Abe does) you're talking about a guy who's weighs 255 pounds who hasn't played DE for 7 years, and never at the professional level. I would not be so quick to say that he'll be fine because you just never know.

Rushing the passer is rushing the passer no matter what scheme your team plays. 34 OLBs might line up vs TEs in the run game but teams dont assign TEs to block real pass rushers unless they want a turnover

Rushing the passer is rushing the passer no matter what scheme your team plays. 34 OLBs might line up vs TEs in the run game but teams dont assign TEs to block real pass rushers unless they want a turnover

Rushing the passer from a stand up outside LB is different than rushing the passer from a hand in the ground DE. in a 34 you have a DE who can help eat up that T so a lot of times you have backs and TEs ending up on them whether you like it or not. Look, I'm not saying that it cant work but I am saying that it's not as simple as sticking him out there and expecting him to be successful at a position that he has never played in the pros... You're right in the fact that if you have a dominant pass rusher at OLB (see clay matthews) you are going to do whatever you can to make sure that your Tackle is the one blocking him though it's not always feasible. I've watched enough Packer games to see that the 34 causes enough matchup problems to give their OLB's a good number of "favorable matchups".. something a DE is never going to get...

Edited by SwampyMux12

If the report is true I dont know what the **** the Raiders are thinking he's the only real edge rusher they have, Lamar Houston is talented but not a speed guy

The Raiders are being the Raiders. Al Davis is dead and yet the Raiders continue to do things that don't make a lick of sense such as Hue Jackson getting fired. Dude was the best HC they've had in decades and was pulling them out of the rubble of disaster and this new GM comes in and quicky fires him and starts cutting good players like Stanford Routt.

The Raiders are being the Raiders. Al Davis is dead and yet the Raiders continue to do things that don't make a lick of sense such as Hue Jackson getting fired. Dude was the best HC they've had in decades and was pulling them out of the rubble of disaster and this new GM comes in and quicky fires him and starts cutting good players like Stanford Routt.

Hue Jackson is the Bengals 2011 MVP. The least they could do for him is give him a job after what he did for them last season