Brees Getting Bid Short By The Saints

don.reese

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He will sign before the weekends out. And we will tag nicks, we have an offer for colston but a team mite out bid us. But you can't keep Em all, we will be fine just watch. All reports from Drew in local papers say it's all cool man.... Micky is the man, all is well in the N.O.

Keep it up. If they don't get a deal done then they'll have to tag him, which means nicks probably walks. No way will brees get out of nawlins.

Heard last night the Aints only have around $15 million in cap space which would make it hard for them to keep Brees, Nicks and Meecham. Looks like their run is about to meet the proverbial brick wall

He will sign before the weekends out. And we will tag nicks, we have an offer for colston but a team mite out bid us. But you can't keep Em all, we will be fine just watch. All reports from Drew in local papers say it's all cool man.... Micky is the man, all is well in the N.O.

You mean like this report from yesterday?

Jeff Duncan, The Times-Picayune

"Drew Brees continues to insist he and the Saints will get a deal done soon to keep the franchise quarterback locked up long-term in New Orleans.

Reports continue to state the sides are far apart in their protracted, high-profile negotiations.

Something doesn't add up.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported today that the sides remains "a ways apart," despite weeks of talks, according to NFL sources.

This is pretty much what we've been hearing on the Brees deal for the past few weeks.

My take: Brees' agent Tom Condon is trying to spur the negotiations by planting the story and potentially creating a sense of urgency on Airline Drive.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been around the block a time or two and knows every negotiating tactic in the books. He won't be swayed by public opinion.

However, the March 5 deadline to designate franchise tags to unrestricted free agents looms and it's in the club's best interest to sign Brees long-term so they can use the franchise tag on one of their other two high-profile potential free agents: Carl Nicks or Marques Colston.

As I've said all along, I'll be surprised if a deal isn't completed by March 5. Too much is on the line for the Saints. They can't afford to lose any of the Big Three: Brees; Nicks; or Colston.

But stranger things have happened in this league. Meanwhile, the clock ticks."

That doesn't sound like everything's fine- esp. that the local guys have been hearing the same thing reported by the national reporters.

He sounds hopeful, but hardly like everything is "all cool".

You mean like this report from yesterday?

Jeff Duncan, The Times-Picayune

"Drew Brees continues to insist he and the Saints will get a deal done soon to keep the franchise quarterback locked up long-term in New Orleans.

Reports continue to state the sides are far apart in their protracted, high-profile negotiations.

Something doesn't add up.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported today that the sides remains "a ways apart," despite weeks of talks, according to NFL sources.

This is pretty much what we've been hearing on the Brees deal for the past few weeks.

My take: Brees' agent Tom Condon is trying to spur the negotiations by planting the story and potentially creating a sense of urgency on Airline Drive.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been around the block a time or two and knows every negotiating tactic in the books. He won't be swayed by public opinion.

However, the March 5 deadline to designate franchise tags to unrestricted free agents looms and it's in the club's best interest to sign Brees long-term so they can use the franchise tag on one of their other two high-profile potential free agents: Carl Nicks or Marques Colston.

As I've said all along, I'll be surprised if a deal isn't completed by March 5. Too much is on the line for the Saints. They can't afford to lose any of the Big Three: Brees; Nicks; or Colston.

But stranger things have happened in this league. Meanwhile, the clock ticks."

That doesn't sound like everything's fine- esp. that the local guys have been hearing the same thing reported by the national reporters.

He sounds hopeful, but hardly like everything is "all cool".

All reports from Drew! In local papers!!! From Drew!! Pull those up lol

And nobody in the media knows what's going on, our front office dnt talk to the local media or national media anything

Edited by N.O.L.A BOI

I think its easier for Saints to replace Nicks then Colston . Colston is so underrated its not funny . Every says its the system has no watched Colston . First off Colston has great hands and body position . He also adjust ball in air like very few wrs . He is also has this great chemistry . I hope Saints lose Colston . He is harder to replace . This will allow Jimmy Graham to see more over top coverage

You think it would be easier to replace one of the best guards in the NFL, as opposed to a possession receiver? Are you serious? I don't know where to start. (A) lineman>>>>>>skill position players ( b ) there are about 50924534 free agent wide receivers this year. ( c )pass that ****....

Edited by Mr.Smiley

Mickey Loomis is the man? He should have had Brees wrapped up a year ago. And he hasn't even STARTED negotiations with anybody else even though FA starts in a week. Thats bad management.

Don't come here trying to convince us everything is "cool" when we know you are pissing your pants like every other Aint.

I hope Brees gets franchised and refuses to play because last time he got franchised he got hurt.

Mickey Loomis is the man? He should have had Brees wrapped up a year ago. And he hasn't even STARTED negotiations with anybody else even though FA starts in a week. Thats bad management.

Don't come here trying to convince us everything is "cool" when we know you are pissing your pants like every other Aint.

I hope Brees gets franchised and refuses to play because last time he got franchised he got hurt.

You are funny!! We had 22 free agents last yr lol. I've already renewed my season tickets how bout you?

All reports from Drew! In local papers!!! From Drew!! Pull those up lol

And nobody in the media knows what's going on, our front office dnt talk to the local media or national media anything

You pull them up, prove me wrong- you claim everybody local isn't worried, I pull up a local story and you tell me to find others. I don't need to already proved you wrong.

It's the beat writer for the times-picayune. That's as local as it gets. If the reporter who covers the Saints for the local paper isn't sure what's going on, then nobody is.

Guest Negatorris

I've tried to educate you guys from a hometown view I see you can't see past your peach tea and straw hats so I'll see y'all after march 5. Mark my wrds drew new contract nicks tagged. See ya, miserable falcons lol

Hometown view = Homer

Do you really think we can't find anyone to play gard? We did have a gard before nicks and we will after nicks. No way us losing a gard makes Drew less effective. We already have a backup we could play at the position we drafted 2 yrs ago, same as colston. We draft for future problems, we let Bentley, Fain and Goodson go and Drews been just fine.

He didn't say less effective, he said hit more, which will happen if Nicks leaves. Please tell me, who is your back up OG if Nicks leaves that is on the same level as Nicks? I would love to hear this. Unless you move De La Puenta over and Tennant up to OC, you don't have an OG behind Nicks.

I think its easier for Saints to replace Nicks then Colston . Colston is so underrated its not funny . Every says its the system has no watched Colston . First off Colston has great hands and body position . He also adjust ball in air like very few wrs . He is also has this great chemistry . I hope Saints lose Colston . He is harder to replace . This will allow Jimmy Graham to see more over top coverage

I agree. Some people won't see it but Colston does a lot more for that offense than people realize. Like you said, Colston kept Graham from being doubled because he could beat you Roddy-style. He won't go deep, but he can beat most corners and can run any route and has great hands. If Colston leaves, along with Meachem potentially, Brees will be down to just Graham, Moore, and Henderson. Yes, losing an elite OG would hurt because it's all about the OLine, but if they get Nicks back and Brees has nobody to throw to, that offense REALLY struggles. More than if they brought both WRs back and let Nicks walk in my opinion.

Edited by vel

I've tried to educate you guys from a hometown view I see you can't see past your peach tea and straw hats so I'll see y'all after march 5. Mark my wrds drew new contract nicks tagged. See ya, miserable falcons lol

No, you tried to share your own rose-colored-glasses view of the situation. When the beat writer of the local paper is a little worried, you should be too.

It's probably going to happen like you say, but I'm betting if I'd asked you 6 months ago if it was going down to the wire , you would have said, "H### no, They'll get it settled soon".

If I'd asked you a month ago if it was going down to the wire, you'd have said the same thing.

If I'd asked 2 weeks ago, you'd have said the same thing.

The fact it ain't done yet means it may not get done and the Saints' offseason becomes a real headache.

I agree. Some people won't see it but Colston does a lot more for that offense than people realize. Like you said, Colston kept Graham from being doubled because he could beat you Roddy-style. He won't go deep, but he can beat most corners and can run any route and has great hands. If Colston leaves, along with Meachem potentially, Brees will be down to just Graham, Moore, and Henderson. Yes, losing an elite OG would hurt because it's all about the OLine, but if they get Nicks back and Brees has nobody to throw to, that offense REALLY struggles. More than if they brought both WRs back and let Nicks walk in my opinion.

I'd like to see what Adrian Arrington can do working full time with Drew Brees.

Ok I'll play, we play tennant at OG, or like u said move DLP to OC. And we would draft a Oline plyr this year anyway. As for colston he was our 3rd leading WR behind Jimmy,and sproles. If we lose colston we keep meach! So that's Jimmy , meach, Henderson,Moore and we have Joe Morgan that was on IR. I don't like Adrian Arrington but some do. But with that said were keeping drew and nicks! We've started restructuring W.Smith contract that will give us back like 6mill and we will let Tracy porter walk and redo JV's contract also. All is well, the only way we lose colston is if someone gives him the world and I dnt think that will happen. Everybody thinks our skill plyrs are a product of a system.

Edited by N.O.L.A BOI

He didn't say less effective, he said hit more, which will happen if Nicks leaves. Please tell me, who is your back up OG if Nicks leaves that is on the same level as Nicks? I would love to hear this. Unless you move De La Puenta over and Tennant up to OC, you don't have an OG behind Nicks.

Think they'd miss Nicks more simply because their run game would suffer as well with Nicks gone.