Falcons Not “Wasting Any Time” In Contract Talks With Brent Grimes

67camaro

Gonna boil down to money alone...It doesn't appear that the knee injury was anything serious. Grimes has the kind of freakish athletic ability that only comes around ever so often..

Many people harp on his age but he's kind of like Turner in that he didn't play a ton early in his pro career. He doesn't have as many miles on his odometer as a lot of (soon to be) 29 year old pros might have.

If it wouldn't totally screw up our cap I say we do what we can to keep him.....make or break year for Dunta...if he doesn't step up we jettison his butt next year....Gonzo comes off of cap.

We'll be alright if TD doesn't F it up somehow.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why he locked up Calvin Johnson and is second to Darrelle Revis in all around coverage statistics. Just stop.

I think you need to go back and rewatch that game--he didn't lock anything up. Calvin still got his when Stafford put the ball in the right spot. Darrelle Revis? Please. Don't even mention this little light weight in the same discussion as Revis. Now I know why so many of you are just fans and not in charge of player selection. Like I said, when Grimes is our best CB that says more about the lack of coaching and talent selection at the position here.

Did you see the pass he deflected in the endzone, while covering megatron? It was unbelievable.

That was more on Stafford's inability to place the ball in the right position--HIGH. See the Saints WRs and TE...he CANNOT cover those guys. He looks like a little kid trying to jump and get candy from his parents hands. They play keep away with him. How did he play Green Bay's receivers? Shut them down to?

I think you need to go back and rewatch that game--he didn't lock anything up. Calvin still got his when Stafford put the ball in the right spot. Darrelle Revis? Please. Don't even mention this little light weight in the same discussion as Revis. Now I know why so many of you are just fans and not in charge of player selection. Like I said, when Grimes is our best CB that says more about the lack of coaching and talent selection at the position here.

I think you're being hard on Grimes.....He's really, really good in just pure coverage...and that was playing in a scheme that allowed for a ton of zone cushion....Tells you a lot about his athletic ability....that he has been consistently able to be either on or close to guys when the schemes dictated that he had a pretty large parcel of field that he was responsible for.

Why are so many of you in love with this little hobbit? When Grimes is the best CB we have on our roster, it says more about the lack of their ability to coach and select CB talent. He is a LIABILITY against the bigger receivers and will NEVER be able to play press coverage--he is physically unable to.

Based on what? The past 2 1/2 seasons where he's been a top 10 corner?

Sometimes I wonder what games some of y'all are watching.

I think you need to go back and rewatch that game--he didn't lock anything up.  Calvin still got his when Stafford put the ball in the right spot.  Darrelle Revis?  Please.  Don't even mention this little light weight in the same discussion as Revis.  Now I know why so many of you are just fans and not in charge of player selection.  Like I said, when Grimes is our best CB that says more about the lack of coaching and talent selection at the position here.

Feel free to post the information champ. Calvin Johnson was redirected inside like he was supposed to be by Grimes in our Cover 4 play, he caught it underneath DeCoud, and DeCoud missed the tackle that gave up six. How about this though, refute these numbers or STFU.

Thrown At: 56 times

Completions Allowed: 25

Completion Percentage: 44%(3rd in the league)

Yards Allowed: 258(Top 10 per Coverage Snap)

Avg Yards per Attempt: 4.6(Top 5)

Touchdowns Given Up: 2(Top 10)

QB Rating: 62.9(Top 10)

PFF Coverage Grade: 16.0(2nd to Revis)

I'll wait for you to bring something to the table, because outside of ways of calling someone short, you don't have anything.

Feel free to post the information champ. Calvin Johnson was redirected inside like he was supposed to be by Grimes in our Cover 4 play, he caught it underneath DeCoud, and DeCoud missed the tackle that gave up six. How about this though, refute these numbers or STFU.

Thrown At: 56 times

Completions Allowed: 25

Completion Percentage: 44%(3rd in the league)

Yards Allowed: 258(Top 10 per Coverage Snap)

Avg Yards per Attempt: 4.6(Top 5)

Touchdowns Given Up: 2(Top 10)

QB Rating: 62.9(Top 10)

PFF Coverage Grade: 16.0(2nd to Revis)

I'll wait for you to bring something to the table, because outside of ways of calling someone short, you don't have anything.

I don't care about any of this stat boy! You all love to pull your little stats out to prove what? That he's going to still be a liability on the defense? I see you didn't answer any of the obvious concerning him getting abused by teams with heavy passing games (NO, GB). How did he do against the Giants? Oh he decided to sit that one out I forgot. No need to curse son...shows your immaturity. Grow up. Don't get mad because everyone doesn't love the little hobbit.

I don't care about any of this stat boy!  You all love to pull your little stats out to prove what?  That he's going to still be a liability on the defense?  I see you didn't answer any of the obvious concerning him getting abused by teams with heavy passing games (NO, GB).  How did he do against the Giants?  Oh he decided to sit that one out I forgot.  No need to curse son...shows your immaturity.  Grow up.  Don't get mad because everyone doesn't love the little hobbit.
I love liabilities that give up less than half the passes thrown their way and less than 5 yards per catch allowed. Oh yeah, especially the ones that have QBs in the low 60s for QB rating when throwing their way.

He didn't get abused by New Orleans or Green Bay, but I do find it amusing that the best you can do is throw up rumors like a teenage girl. I deal with reality, or, "da truth," as you so eloquently put it. I can't help the fact you hate a Top 5 NFL CB without good reason. I suggest quitting now and hoping this thread falls off the first page, because things aren't looking good for you.

I think you're being hard on Grimes.....He's really, really good in just pure coverage...and that was playing in a scheme that allowed for a ton of zone cushion....Tells you a lot about his athletic ability....that he has been consistently able to be either on or close to guys when the schemes dictated that he had a pretty large parcel of field that he was responsible for.

I don't have anything personal against Grimes, he's just not the type of corner I'd have playing for me. He's been the best out of the CBs here and again, I don't know how much that really says about him or this team's lack of coaching up the others and selecting better corners. Grimes is what he is and because of his physical limitation will always be a liability against the bigger receivers. I've seen him get thrown out of the way and manhandled on the line. He's suited for the zone and it's worked well for him. Let's see how he does in man/press coverage. The receivers aren't getting any smaller.

Guest TheIdowu

I don't have anything personal against Grimes, he's just not the type of corner I'd have playing for me. He's been the best out of the CBs here and again, I don't know how much that really says about him or this team's lack of coaching up the others and selecting better corners. Grimes is what he is and because of his physical limitation will always be a liability against the bigger receivers. I've seen him get thrown out of the way and manhandled on the line. He's suited for the zone and it's worked well for him. Let's see how he does in man/press coverage. The receivers aren't getting any smaller.

I don't care about any of this stat boy! You all love to pull your little stats out to prove what? That he's going to still be a liability on the defense? I see you didn't answer any of the obvious concerning him getting abused by teams with heavy passing games (NO, GB). How did he do against the Giants? Oh he decided to sit that one out I forgot. No need to curse son...shows your immaturity. Grow up. Don't get mad because everyone doesn't love the little hobbit.

I really hope you are NOT a grown man; if so, wow. . . . . . . . .

I love liabilities that give up less than half the passes thrown their way and less than 5 yards per catch allowed. Oh yeah, especially the ones that have QBs in the low 60s for QB rating when throwing their way.

He didn't get abused by New Orleans or Green Bay, but I do find it amusing that the best you can do is throw up rumors like a teenage girl. I deal with reality, or, "da truth," as you so eloquently put it. I can't help the fact you hate a Top 5 NFL CB without good reason. I suggest quitting now and hoping this thread falls off the first page, because things aren't looking good for you.

Things are all good in my world because my view of Grimes is very different from yours--that's apparent. It won't change. That's why we have these boards...so everyone's opinion is not a carbon copy of each other. There you go with the name calling again "Free Radical". Oh I get it, you're a radical. That explains it. LOL

Grimes is what he is and because of his physical limitation will always be a liability against the bigger receivers.  I've seen him get thrown out of the way and manhandled on the line.  He's suited for the zone and it's worked well for him.  Let's see how he does in man/press coverage.  The receivers aren't getting any smaller.

Locked down Calvin Johnson, and has excelled when we played man coverage. Hint: Man coverage isn't the same as press-man coverage.

Guest Negatorris

If Grimes produces like last season with all those dropped passes, then I will be pissed. Just like Roddy on offense, it seemed like his head wasn't in the game at times, and he was obviously not playing his hardest. Then there were the flashes of brilliance, like the Lions game when he went toe to toe with the best WR in the game TODAY. Now that we are throwing this money his way, Grimes does not need to have another mediocre season. I want to see the 2010, 2009 Grimes.

Things are all good in my world because my view of Grimes is very different from yours--that's apparent.  It won't change.  That's why we have these boards...so everyone's opinion is not a carbon copy of each other.  There you go with the name calling again "Free Radical".  Oh I get it, you're a radical.  That explains it. LOL

Views huh... Some people think the world is flat, some people think cancer can be cured with fruit juice, some people think Tom Brady is a bad QB, and some people think Grimes is a bad corner. Some people have bad opinions, and it would seem that you fall into that category. Of course, some people can't read very well, since it seems you think I've called you a name even once.

You do realize his injury wasnt major right? He came back after like 4 weeks. Even after reaggrevating it he was supposedly cleared to play in the playoffs. No need to over react on this one.

He came back after four weeks and lasted, what, part of one game and then he was out again? After what was just a "minor" injury he didn't last through one freaking game?? The guy is small playing in a big man's game. Even if his repaired knee holds up, who's to say he doesn't blow out the other knee? Or hurt an ankle, or his back or his hamstring, or get turf-toe and the dozens of other maladies that happen to little guys having collisions with big guys? And the other thing about "minor" injuries is the older you get, the easier it is to get hurt and the slower you heal. The Falcons only have x amount of dollars to spend. I just don't like the idea of throwing it all at Grimes when we desperately need a top-tier DE and at least one top-tier OL for next season.