We Keep Forgetting An Important Factor When Talking About Resigning Lofton

Jaymadd

One key factor is the fact that Mike Nolan 10X>>>>>> BVG. I think it is really going to come down to what Nolan thinks about the defense and whether he can make his defense work without Lofton, and I believe that he can. If we still had BVG then I think that the decision about whether to resign Lofton would hold more weight in terms of how successful our defense can be. Bottom line I believe that we will be ok with letting Lofton Go, but that money needs to be used to improve our secondary, which would mean upgrading safety, finding a Nickelback, improving our pass rush on the inside and out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no upgrade at safety worth getting this offseason and the team is filled with young talent, namely Franks and Walls, at corner and it just so happens that Nolan has a lengthy track record of coaching up DBs. Before Nolan Grimes was a must to keep but now that he's here he's largely expendable. Lofton, on the other hand, is a higher priority player to keep. His pass coverage has improved every season and it should only get better with DC who knows what he's doing.

I think that combination of Nic

There is no upgrade at safety worth getting this offseason and the team is filled with young talent, namely Franks and Walls, at corner and it just so happens that Nolan has a lengthy track record of coaching up DBs. Before Nolan Grimes was a must to keep but now that he's here he's largely expendable. Lofton, on the other hand, is a higher priority player to keep. His pass coverage has improved every season and it should only get better with DC who knows what he's doing.

I am going to say that Lofton will always be an average pass defender, he does not have the quickness and fluidity to excel in man coverage as a LB, but the problem is his instincts are that well in zone which you may blame some on BVG, but some of that falls on Lofton also. I just believe it comes down to the money, but again I am at peace about whether lofton leaves or staffs and I dont believe it is a do or die situation for the defense. I just think it really depends on the money and if Nolan feels that keeping Lofton is a must for his defense based on Lofton's strengths and weaknesses

One key factor is the fact that Mike Nolan 10X>>>>>> BVG. I think it is really going to come down to what Nolan thinks about the defense and whether he can make his defense work without Lofton, and I believe that he can. If we still had BVG then I think that the decision about whether to resign Lofton would hold more weight in terms of how successful our defense can be. Bottom line I believe that we will be ok with letting Lofton Go, but that money needs to be used to improve our secondary, which would mean upgrading safety, finding a Nickelback, improving our pass rush on the inside and out.

The money needs to go to bolster the pass rush. We have no one besides from Abe who we know for sure that can get the job done. With the nature of the NFL evolving into a pass oriented league it's suicide to rely on a 34 year old to keep doing what he's been doing.

The money needs to go to bolster the pass rush. We have no one besides from Abe who we know for sure that can get the job done. With the nature of the NFL evolving into a pass oriented league it's suicide to rely on a 34 year old to keep doing what he's been doing.

It is crazy but the words improve has pass rush have been mentioned every year since the TD - Coach Smith Era began, I think it had more to do with our scheme than our players, but I do think that one addition can help

Why would we not try to re-sign Lofton? Everyone goes on about pass defense - what about run defense? Lofton's a thumper in the middle and there's no one available that would equal or upgrade from him.

Let's not get so eager to improve that we ignore that there are some very good players already here.

I think it's time to let go of some good TATF posters.

I'm gonna start with JayMadd.

I'd take Lofton over him in a heartbeat. Trust me.

GTF bro. You gets no separation pay.

Bye.

Dont get butt hurt because I speak the truth, It is about time we got a NFL caliber DC which means the priority of resiging lofton may have shifted

Why would we not try to re-sign Lofton? Everyone goes on about pass defense - what about run defense? Lofton's a thumper in the middle and there's no one available that would equal or upgrade from him.

Let's not get so eager to improve that we ignore that there are some very good players already here.

We will try to resign lofton but we struggling defending the pass and we have struggled in that area for 4 years now. I think that the group of LB's that we have would reduce the loss of Lofton to the point that our run defense will not go from top 10 to bottom 20

The problem is Sid hasn't proven anything other than he deserves more snaps. Putting him in a position where he'd have to replace Abe's production right off the bat might be putting too much pressure on him. I'd rather see money spent on a vet.

I am going to say that Lofton will always be an average pass defender, he does not have the quickness and fluidity to excel in man coverage as a LB, but the problem is his instincts are that well in zone which you may blame some on BVG, but some of that falls on Lofton also. I just believe it comes down to the money, but again I am at peace about whether lofton leaves or staffs and I dont believe it is a do or die situation for the defense. I just think it really depends on the money and if Nolan feels that keeping Lofton is a must for his defense based on Lofton's strengths and weaknesses

I don't expect Lofton to become a great coverage ILB, but you can take a huge step back by using someone like Dent to replace him. As for improving the other fields of the defense and the money, the team can save roughly $9 million in cap space by cutting Baker, Jerry, Mughelli, and Bryant (the latter two are very good but their cap hits outweigh their position value), Nolan can coach up Franks, Owens, and Walls, and they have more room than people seem to think to sign FAs, unless you're convinced they're going after Mario Williams.

The problem is Sid hasn't proven anything other than he deserves more snaps. Putting him in a position where he'd have to replace Abe's production right off the bat might be putting too much pressure on him. I'd rather see money spent on a vet.

Yeah I do think we need to either bring back Abe or find a suitable replacement for him in FA, but we do need to give Sid more snaps this season

How much would we really lose if we let lofton walk and started dent, isn't dent kind of a version 1 version 2...... Sound tackling slightly suspect in pass coverage?

Think how much money we could save and then put into either line

Slightly? If he was any good in pass coverage he would have been a high round talent. He's awful in coverage.

We will try to resign lofton but we struggling defending the pass and we have struggled in that area for 4 years now. I think that the group of LB's that we have would reduce the loss of Lofton to the point that our run defense will not go from top 10 to bottom 20

falcons hven't struggled over the middle though. Falcons have one of the lowest completion %'s and yardage allowed in the league (as in top 5 the good way) for the past 2 years. that's the Safeties and Lofton showing their worth in coverage. When Falcons get beat it's short on the outside or deep on the outside, but never in the middle of the field. Rarely do teams even pass in the middle of the field against Atlanta... #justsaying.

This is how I see our defense this year I really think we will be a blitz happy D this year and hence why I believe Lofton can excel he will become with Moore primary Blitz options as that is there strengths coming foward and hitting people so on obvious passing downs ie 2nd and 3rd down I see blitz being used alot and both those guys being the guys.

By using both these guys this way especially Lofton I think this wipes coverage issue's its an easy fix we don't ask Lofton to do things he's not good at use him to his strength coming down hill and hitting people.If he is used this way I don't see why we would want to not resign the guy.

lol @ the thought of letting Lofton go ...Curtis Lofton is a step below what Jessie Tuggle was ...This franchise has had solid MLB throughout the franchise history ..The reason why Spoon had such a great soph season is cause Curtis Lofton controls the middle and sheds blocks where that allows Spoon to work in space ...Why does it always seem that Spoon is at right place right time ? well look at the film you will see Curtis Lofton doing his job by either taken the lead block out for Spoon to make a play or sheding a block

How much would we really lose if we let lofton walk and started dent, isn't dent kind of a version 1 version 2...... Sound tackling slightly suspect in pass coverage?

Think how much money we could save and then put into either line

Experience Toughness and last but not least Leadership..

Dent while he may have the same intangibles you can't be serious he can step in from day 1 and replace Lofton c'mon Bro say it aint so.

I don't expect Lofton to become a great coverage ILB, but you can take a huge step back by using someone like Dent to replace him. As for improving the other fields of the defense and the money, the team can save roughly $9 million in cap space by cutting Baker, Jerry, Mughelli, and Bryant (the latter two are very good but their cap hits outweigh their position value), Nolan can coach up Franks, Owens, and Walls, and they have more room than people seem to think to sign FAs, unless you're convinced they're going after Mario Williams.

I like Robert Mathis too as a DE option. YOu talking about the kicker bryant because that is not a good move as far a trying to save cap by releasing him. I do agree with our about our young CB and believe we have some talent in our CB's that need to be coached up, but we need a nickelback because Owens, Franks and Walls have excelled on the outside not the slot. I dont think we will see a significant dropoff at LB with Dent, Nic and Spoon with Spoon and Nic as the LBs on third down and Dent as a 2 down LB

falcons hven't struggled over the middle though. Falcons have one of the lowest completion %'s and yardage allowed in the league (as in top 5 the good way) for the past 2 years. that's the Safeties and Lofton showing their worth in coverage. When Falcons get beat it's short on the outside or deep on the outside, but never in the middle of the field. Rarely do teams even pass in the middle of the field against Atlanta... #justsaying.

Thanks for the stats, but stats are overrated, especially when you see 3rd and Longs completed right between the LB and safeties

lol @ the thought of letting Lofton go ...Curtis Lofton is a step below what Jessie Tuggle was ...This franchise has had solid MLB throughout the franchise history ..The reason why Spoon had such a great soph season is cause Curtis Lofton controls the middle and sheds blocks where that allows Spoon to work in space ...Why does it always seem that Spoon is at right place right time ? well look at the film you will see Curtis Lofton doing his job by either taken the lead block out for Spoon to make a play or sheding a block

It could happen especially if the money is not right, and if it does happen we will be ok, the same with Grimes

I am pretty sure most inside linebackers are only average at pass defense.

Lofton more than makes up for that in run defense, leadership and his smarts setting the defense.