What Is Your Thought On The Falcons After The Super Bowl And The New Direction?

Miller2Rison

In 2008 We brought in Turner and took a chance on drafting Matt Ryan, in 2007 we were the laughing stock of the NFL and for the previous 5 years before 2007 we were a 1 man show. In 2008 most of the so called experts picked us to go 7-9 with Matty riding the bench, with a 29th ranked defense and i believe a 32nd ranked pass defense, you would not have thought that our franchise would be turned around and we would go 11-5 and Matt Ryan who was supposed to spend the year as a back up would win rookie of the year, we lost to the eventual NFC champions in the wild card round of the playoffs but we had a team that showed promise. A rookie who beat out the veteran for the starting position and his first NFL pass was a 60 yard touchdown. We just needed a better defense it seemed.

In 2009 we brought in future HOFer Tony Gonzales who probably would have retired if he didn't see promise in the Atlanta Falcons new and improved organization, our defense got a little better but we still were not great and we needed play makers, despite injuries to our star players Matt Ryan and Michael Turner we finished the season 9-7 and for the first time in 33 years the Atlanta Falcons had back to back winning seasons but missed the playoffs.

2010 seemed like a golden year during the regular season, we signed Dunta Robinson to fill a much needed void in the secondary but some feel that Dunta is not the corner we wanted, Brent Grimes was the emerging star in the secondary, we went 7-1 at home and 6-2 on the road, finished the season 13-3 which is the second best record in franchise history the other time being 14-2 and a trip to super bowl 33. Matt Ryan in his 3rd season was an MVP candidate Ryan, Turner, Gonzales, Dahl, Grimes, Abraham, White, Mughelli, Weems and even Coach Mike Smith all went to the Pro Bowl but with home field advantage through out the playoffs and many fans feeling 1998 fever all over again the Falcons were detroyed by the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round and the Packers would go on to win the Lombardi

2011 a new addition was added to the team to make the Falcons more explosive in Julio Jones who showed a lot of promise as a rookie, Quiz Rodgers was added to the back field after the injuries to Norwood to give the team the speed threat, Roddy White on the other wide out position, Tony G back at TE, a healthy Harry Douglas, and Michael Turner and Jason Snelling in the back field to pound the rock, you would think the Falcons would have the most prolific offense in the NFL but the Falcons only beat 1 team in the regular season that made the playoffs and sqeeking in with a 10-6 record the playoff game against the New York Giants, it seemed almost emotionless to me on the Falcons side of the ball. The Falcons tried to get help on defense and ended with the number 12th ranked D but gave up 400 yards to the Giants in the wild card round, who just like last year with the Packers, went on to be Super Bowl Champions. After being 0-3 in the playoffs under Smith/Ryan it was time for a change, the Falcons brought in a pretty much brand new coaching staff, except for Mike Smith, if anyone on the staff remained their positions were changed.

After looking back at the years from 2008 to now I will have to say that our support staff has done a good job developing our team into winners but the new support staff is here to bring this team to the next level, It might feel good to some that we have lost our playoff games to Champions but when i see the Packers and the Giants holding the Lombardi it feels like they stole it from us, especially in 2010.

Matt Ryan is 0-3 in the playoffs and now his ability is being questioned, and i think that is a good thing personally. Eli Manning's ability has been questioned up until he won his seconed Super Bowl last night and that's what Matt needs to do is go out there and get it done like Manning has.

Tony Gonzales is now 0-12 in playoff games and he came to the falcons to get post season success, he wants a super bowl.

Coughlin/Manning is now being talked about as the greatest QB/Coach combo since Billichick/Brady. Peyton/Brees ain't too bad either. How about Smith/Ryan, yeah it's been great for Atlanta so far but the nation will now look at the falcons as the team that chokes in the playoffs.

I feel really good about the new staff and i think great things are coming, we have film to watch on the teams that we played in the playoffs the past 3 years and what they did against us and how they went on to super bowls with 2 out of 3 being super bowl champions. I honestly think the new staff can get us to the next level, i even have faith in Koetter

I honestly think the new staff can get us to the next level, i even have faith in Koetter

Certain things apply that can change everything. Like health. So we have show we can get to post season and thats the first step. We know how to get there. Even if it was plain vanilla football.

Players wanting new contract play hard. Its hard to say once they get that contract if they will keep that pace. How many players do we see get payed and then slow down?

Koetter scares the crap out of me. Why you ask? Because no one knows anything about him and our biggest issue is our oline. The best thing about koetter is he has Ryan and a experience wr core and 1 of the best TE`s ever. He also has Nolan to practice against. Whats around him will make him better. Or he will get Ryan killed and we will flush this season (and thats what scares me).

We have a better chance than most teams since we already have a formula to win and we have alot of our big names already under contract. But our D and our lines are major concerns. But our D is in good hands.

Same as it has been for the last three years... High expectations. A playoff appearance and hopefully a win but multiple would be better.

But on that same note. The giants fans all but wrote the giants off this past year and they slipped into the playoffs. Then went all the way. You just never know, but you have to get to the playoffs and then get hot.

My thoughts, are that you have to have a quality organization from top to bottom. You need a front office that drafts and hires well. You need coaches who motivate, and put together a winning game plan. You need a few playmakers that can make a difference when the game is on the line. Teams that do this are usually very hard to beat.

Next seasons team will have to have playoff success, or at least be competitive in the playoffs for me to have any confidence in the current regime. With new coordinators we may have to give them a year, but I expect Ryan and Coach Smith to be much better at there jobs going into year 5.

Dont really have a good feeling about next year, too many question marks this far along in the process. Hoping that our guys take a jump forward and respond to new coaching/schemes but I don't have much confidence in Smith to get the team where it needs to be, guess i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. My attitude will likely change as football season approaches but at the moment I cant even muster enough effort to be cautiously optimistic.

P.S. Love Gonzo, but in hindsight I think his signing set Ryan, Mularkey and the offense back a bit, was kinda hoping he would walk after this year but whatevs.

I'm not really sure how I am realistically expected to have an opinion. This is already going to be a very different team from a coaching standpoint, and with so many potential free agents, it will obviously be a much different roster in a few months. At this point, there is absolutely no way anyone has any inking of an idea what this team is going to be like. The Super Bowl just ended a little over 24 hours ago... patience, grasshopper.

All things in time.

Edited by k-train

How can I have any expectations about next season when I don't know who half of our team is going to be? We have a billion free agents and we haven't had the draft yet. I like the coaching moves, but I'm afraid we may have to take a step back before we can go forward again.

A few short weeks ago I and a few others openly called for massive changes on the Falcons coaching staff, up to and including Mike Smith. We felt the team had not just gone as far as these coaches could take them, but were showing disturbing signs of suffering from a lack of leadership, especially when up against the top-tier teams in the league and in the play-offs. We who founded Group II knew that calling for changes would scare the homers and the timid fans who were so beaten down by years of total failure that the small taste of success provided by several consecutive winning seasons would want to stand pat with what we had. This touched off a small war here, which some fans took as entertainment and healthy debate, and other, less perceptive people, regarded as blasphemy.

As fate would have it, Group II won out and all the coordinators and the rest of the coaching staff were either let go or changed coaching assignments. Whether for better or worse, only Mike Smith remains. It remains to be seen if Smith's ultra-conservative coaching philosophy will end up nullifying the potential benefit of having more talented, creative and aggressive coordinators running our offense and defense. And of course there is the lingering question of what impact all the impending roster changes, trades and draft picks will have on the team's ability to take the next step forward from shallow, gutless, conservative pretenders to crafty, bold, aggressive contenders for the Lombardi Trophy.

I personally have faith that the Falcons front office possesses the necessary competence and experience to fill the holes we all know exist on the OL, DL and in the secondary. They may not be able to complete this task by the start of the upcoming season, but I believe they will be able to make enough improvements to ensure this team plays at a high level and will be much more competitive against the top teams they'll face than at any time since Mike Smith was named HC four years ago.

I hope and trust Mike Smith has learned enough and matured enough to see the folly of being too-conservative and of the inherent folly of micro-managing his coordinators. If he's learned those two crucial lessons, then this team will play a much more exciting and aggressive brand of football. They will again be able to stand on even terms with the Saints in the NFC South and will have nothing to fear from the rapidly-improving Panthers.

But if Smith has not learned the error of his ways and continues to insist on the same style of 1970's, ultra-conservative, predictable and scared football, if he dominates his coordinators, undermines their authority and nullifies their creativity, then I think we'll see this team go into a complete free-fall back into the absmal depths of 2007.

I choose to believe Smith will back off and give his new leadership the opportunity to bring this team up to the elite level we all want them to reach. I choose to believe TD and the FO will retain the players we need to keep and bring in the extra pieces needed to compete with the top teams in the league beginning this coming season. Due to obvious cap considerations and a lack of draft picks, that process will likely not be complete until 2013 or 2014, but they will get the job done and we will have the personnel in-house to win a Super Bowl.

In short, Group II is very optimistic this Falcons team has made significant strides in getting to the next level and we fully support the new coaching staff, the front office and the owner. NFL teams are either improving or regressing every year, that's an indisputable reality, so for the Falcons to have tried to stand pat with the coaches and players we had last year and for the past three seasons would've only ensured continued mediocrity. Taking risks can always backfire and that may be the case with the radical changes made by the team this year, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It was time to roll the dice. I'm glad we did and I'm really looking forward to next season.

SuperBowlorDeath-1.jpg

Edited by PokerSteve

I take it group 2 is satisfied with the heads that have rolled .....now, only at least one playoff win will suffice .......

One play-off win would certainly be enough to show that the changes made are moving the team in the right direction, but nobody who is a Falcon fan should ever be willing settle for just one play-off win in the next few seasons with the talent we have and the solid foundation which has been laid since 2008.

One play-off win would certainly be enough to show that the changes made are moving the team in the right direction, but nobody who is a Falcon fan should ever be willing settle for just one play-off win in the next few seasons with the talent we have and the solid foundation which has been laid since 2008.

We will advance at least to the NFCCG in 2012 .........god told me this in a dream I had .......

I take it group 2 is satisfied with the heads that have rolled .....now, only at least one playoff win will suffice .......

Group 2 aint gonna be happy with jack. Trust me.

If we get another #1 seed, win two playoff games then lose like the Pats did Sunday these boys will be btchn about the safety Brady got, the drops by Welker and Hernandez, the free Belichick TD and the 12 men on the field penalty that led to a TD. The Pats executed like our coaches and players did all year.

My thoughts - fix the problem that has been there this entire regime - and we will be able to battle and win against good teams. Fix the lines. Both of them. That will improve our pass rush and pass protection - and allow us to control at the line of scrimmage. If they don't do that again this year - I can see us winning enough games to get us to the playoffs again - and taking a nose dive when we get there - again!

Group 2 aint gonna be happy with jack. Trust me.

If we get another #1 seed, win two playoff games then lose like the Pats did Sunday these boys will be btchn about the safety Brady got, the drops by Welker and Hernandez, the free Belichick TD and the 12 men on the field penalty that led to a TD. The Pats executed like our coaches and players did all year.

If we win two play-off games next year, I think the overwhelming feeling among Group II and the rest of the regulars here will be positive. Yes, there will doubtless be posts expressing disappointment that we came close but didn't go all the way, but the tone and focus of those will be mild regret after a breakthrough type of season rather than the anger, bitterness and total disillusionment that has characterized the posts here after the last two first-round play-off embarrassments showed the team wasn't making any progress vs the top-tier teams.