Seriously? After Watching The Quality Of The Pats And Giants Are We Ready For The Sb?

Nono

Blame him for the Falcons failure to win games against quality opponents, playoff games, but you and most and the the vast majority of posters here are in for a rude awakening. New OC/DC, OL/Secondary/QB coach, who's our next excuse? The forrest for for the tress and most just don't get it!

Exactly..

And for all this talk about Mike Mularkey saying that he knew the Falcons were doomed when we got the Giants on the radio I have yet to see a single receipt confirming this. Do you for a minute think that a coordinator turned HC would have the gall to get on the radio and say such a thing with it NOT being a huge story around here. I think it's laughable the amount of blame that MM gets on this board..

2012 will tell all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly..

And for all this talk about Mike Mularkey saying that he knew the Falcons were doomed when we got the Giants on the radio I have yet to see a single receipt confirming this. Do you for a minute think that a coordinator turned HC would have the gall to get on the radio and say such a thing with it NOT being a huge story around here. I think it's laughable the amount of blame that MM gets on this board..

2012 will tell all.

Agreed and possibly not the most popular opinion here, ppl just want to place blame on the most readily accessable culprits, coordinators, position coaches, etc, instead of, imo, the root of the problem, the man personally responsible for the assemblance of talent that are the current Atlanta Falcons

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Blame him for the Falcons failure to win games against quality opponents, playoff games, but you and most and the the vast majority of posters here are in for a rude awakening. New OC/DC, OL/Secondary/QB coach, who's our next excuse? The forrest for for the tress and most just don't get it!

Ok so MM saying the Giants was the worst match up possible for them and only saying he saw us scoring 14-17 points is Ryan's fault? What playoff team won scoring 14-17 points? Yes, MM gets the blame for his poor, vanilla game plans. That isn't on Ryan. I blame MM on poor play calling. That isn't on Ryan.

I don't think the Falcons are that far off at all. The offensive players are there already except for some solidifying of the OL. The play calling of MM was always reminiscent of an OC playing it safe. Being conservative all the time worked fine against lesser teams, but did not work worth squat against good teams. Since what Koetter will do with the offense is yet to be seen, we will just have to hope that he will mix in a little unpredictability and make the Falcons a team that plays more to win instead of playing it safe always. Not having Mularkey running the offense next season gives me a lot of hope.

The defense needed to be more aggressive and I think Nolan will bring that in. I would not doubt that we will have some free agents signed on the defensive side, but I think his scheme will bring out the best in the players he has to work with. I think he will bring more heat in key situations and he don't need two or three big names to do it. He will get it done with 11 men. He will play with some guts and take some chances. We may have a defense that won't break if one or two players get injured and miss games. I like the idea of good defensive squad over a few big stars.

I look forward to the upcoming season and have high hopes for the Falcons.

Agreed and possibly not the most popular opinion here, ppl just want to place blame on the mostreadily accessable culprits, coordinators, position coaches, etc, instead of, imo, the root of the problem, the man personally responsible for the assemblance of talent that are the current Atlanta Falcons

Yep TD has been exposed as a fraud . Quite simple signs bust free agents

and then doesnt have scouting ablity to find gems or undrafted free agents to make impacts

2 of his first round picks are already bust Baker and Jerry

Ok so MM saying the Giants was the worst match up possible for them and only saying he saw us scoring 14-17 points is Ryan's fault? What playoff team won scoring 14-17 points? Yes, MM gets the blame for his poor, vanilla game plans. That isn't on Ryan. I blame MM on poor play calling. That isn't on Ryan.

Link to the audio please? I need to hear it for myself.

Guest Negatorris

Falcons lack desire and fire to beat their opponents. Not sure why they are in that state of mind, but they just are. They aren't mean enough. The talent is there, they are just lacking the drive. Hopefully that changes.

do you have a link to audio of him saying we played scarred ?

I mean saying were only going to score 17 on road vs Giants is not bad

Pats only scored 17

First off, I've never spoken a negative thing about MR, so don't even go there. My only problem with the team i love is that after a promising beginning, Dimitroff has regressed!

I think people forget what kind of year Eli Manning had last year. Everyone was saying that he regressed as he made a lot of bad decisions and threw career highs 30 or so interceptions. This year he played lights out and catapulted himself into elite status.

Aside from Manning, Giants had one of the best line of scrimmage in football. Arguably that best DL in football with 3 all-pro caliber DE and Canty as a destructive force up the middle. We are a 3-4 guys away on the line of scrimmage from that type of dominance. Hopefully this will be the focus this off season so we can take that next step.

I actualy found myself thinking, if the giants can win the superbowl anyone can..They were 7-7 at one point and lost to the deadskins twice! They just got hot at the right time and unlike the falcons they were well coached in a pro scheme. Starting next year I expect the Falcons to be in that same mold and have a legitimate shot.

Really? I'd say we've ben "close" in the Blank era, espcially in 2004 and 2010.

Maybe they were 2 good teams that cancelled each other out, but I though both team were deeply unimpressive.

They have 2 of the weakest secondaries and running games in the NFL. Both QB's played efficinet, relatively mistake free games, but neither were outstanding. Aside from the Manningham reception it was a game that lacked moments of real quality or memorable plays.

6 or 7 weeks ago, the Giants looked dead and buried, at 7-7 coming off a long losing streak. Last year they won 10 regular season games, and this year 9 of them. I give them credit for coming good when it counted, but the line betwen success and failure is a fine one. I certainly don't buy this idea that there is a significant gulf between us and them talent wise.

The biggest isssue for us is coaching. We have to do a better job of toughening up and come to play in these big games. There is no excuse for being as uncompetitive as we have been, with our talent. Other teams find a way to mask their weaknesses and take the game ot their opponents. We play uptight, like a team that is too scared of defeat, rather than a team that relishes the fight and takes it to the opponent.

Excactly!

The Giants are the perfect example of turning things around, manning up and just performing when it counts the most.. We need to be able to do that!

I hope and believe Nolan and Koetter will put some of that fire and sense of urgency and accountability to each other into our players.

Falcons lack desire and fire to beat their opponents. Not sure why they are in that state of mind, but they just are. They aren't mean enough. The talent is there, they are just lacking the drive. Hopefully that changes.

That's the problem, most think that the talent is there, but where? Outside of the skilled positions, QB, RB, WRS, where the beef? Can you telll me with a straight face than we have a quality secondary, OL, DL. effective pass rush?

Hope your right statick---I think we are further away from the promised land than that though---and the Giants wipped our ars and shut down our offense while making fun of our D---kinda reminded me of the Green Bay ars whipping---sigh

While I like the fact that the Falcons have got to the point where they are good enough during the season that they have legitimate chances to make the playoffs every year. They are seriously lacking playoff mettle, the only way to get there is to do it. It could be argue that the Giants and Falcons were about the same in the regular season( Giants lost twice to the Redskins for example) but they changed once the playoffs arrived. I think Nolan will make a difference, but no the Falcons arent ready for a Super Bowl run unless they change something once the playoffs come around.

That game was trash.

Both teams played hard, but there was so many stupid mistakes that it looked like the coaches were more nervous than the players. 12 men on the field (twice), 38 yards was the longest play....boring! Conservative play calling nearly doomed both teams to trudging slowly down the field, with the QBs game-managing instead of trying to bust the game wide open. One more FB screen and i was going to fall asleep. And with neither team having an effective run game, it bordered on a track meet with no track stars. A slow, plodding game from two rather boring teams. No explosiveness at all.

The only difference i saw between the Falcons and both SB teams this year was a lack of passion.

For lack of a better term, as Jimmy McGinty from the Replacements said- "You gotta have heart".

Giants oline was atrocious allowing league high 241 pressurez yet he found a way to make plays

but guess what our oline sucks ? right

And how did they perform in the postseason? Much much better.. Every single part of that team improved when it mattered the most. That's what we couldn't. Instead we just fell apart..

That is the biggest difference I see between us and the Giants. And if that isn't a sign of difference in the mentality and resiliency of the coaches in ATL and NY, then I don't know what it is.

Not every player on that team had stepped up the way they did, if some of it didn't come from the top.

Edited by niels petersen

Quality? That was a pretty mediocre Super Bowl in my opinion. Typically I look for a key moment that turns the tide in one team's favor but instead last night it was whichever team made the fewest mistakes. The biggest plays were the Manningham catch along the sideline late in the game, though he probably wouldn't have needed to make that catch if he made the sideline catch earlier in the game, and the string of drops in the Patriots final drive. No player took over the game so Eli got the MVP by default (The 'if no one stands out just give it to the winning QB' rule).

Both teams had blatantly obvious flaws. The Giants have a pretty bad secondary, which didn't show against the Patriots WRs who are awful outside of Welker, and mediocre LB corps, though I expect them to repair those issues, while the Patriots only made it because the AFC was horrible this season and the few quality teams were derailed by injuries and/or bad luck. They have no running game, they have no WRs outside of Welker, without Gronk they have no playmakers on offense, Brady is going to be 35 by the start of next season, and that defense straight up lacks talent all around. They have too many problems to fix with aging core players while BB is still being too cute with his personnel decisions to be the force we remember from their dynasty years.

As for the Falcons, I've said it countless times and I'll say it again: What they have been missing was quality coaching. Mularkey always always always shrunk the passing game in big games and tried to rely completely on Turner, who consistently gets stuffed in the playoffs because teams expected this strategy from Mularkey, and refused to adapt, BVG was too uncreative and soft to keep the defense's play consistent and his schemes typically led to big plays, and Smith, especially in the most recent game against the Giants, comes off as overly desperate, such as going for it on 4th down multiple times instead of just getting the field goal. The coaching staff shakeup was the best thing to happen to this team in a few years and I expect a turnaround in big games next season.

Quality? That was a pretty mediocre Super Bowl in my opinion. Typically I look for a key moment that turns the tide in one team's favor but instead last night it was whichever team made the fewest mistakes. The biggest plays were the Manningham catch along the sideline late in the game, though he probably wouldn't have needed to make that catch if he made the sideline catch earlier in the game, and the string of drops in the Patriots final drive. No player took over the game so Eli got the MVP by default (The 'if no one stands out just give it to the winning QB' rule).

Both teams had blatantly obvious flaws. The Giants have a pretty bad secondary, which didn't show against the Patriots WRs who are awful outside of Welker, and mediocre LB corps, though I expect them to repair those issues, while the Patriots only made it because the AFC was horrible this season and the few quality teams were derailed by injuries and/or bad luck. They have no running game, they have no WRs outside of Welker, without Gronk they have no playmakers on offense, Brady is going to be 35 by the start of next season, and that defense straight up lacks talent all around. They have too many problems to fix with aging core players while BB is still being too cute with his personnel decisions to be the force we remember from their dynasty years.

As for the Falcons, I've said it countless times and I'll say it again: What they have been missing was quality coaching. Mularkey always always always shrunk the passing game in big games and tried to rely completely on Turner, who consistently gets stuffed in the playoffs because teams expected this strategy from Mularkey, and refused to adapt, BVG was too uncreative and soft to keep the defense's play consistent and his schemes typically led to big plays, and Smith, especially in the most recent game against the Giants, comes off as overly desperate, such as going for it on 4th down multiple times instead of just getting the field goal. The coaching staff shakeup was the best thing to happen to this team in a few years and I expect a turnaround in big games next season.

sir, hopefully you're right. The built in excuse are no longer with us

And how did they perform in the postseason? Much much better.. Every single part of that team improved when it mattered the most. That's what we couldn't. Instead we just fell apart..

That is the biggest difference I see between us and the Giants. And if that isn't a sign of difference in the mentality and resiliency of the coaches in ATL and NY, then I don't know what it is.

Not every player on that team had stepped up the way they did, if some of it didn't come from the top.

you must have missed when Eli was hit 21 times vs 49ers

sir, hopefully you're right. The built in excuse are no longer with us

To me, it's only natural for a team to play like **** when the coaches scheme scared to go along with a lack of creativity. It also didn't help that certain position coaches struggled to develop the talent, especially the CBs. I fully expect a shift with the new coaches, especially Nolan, to not be intimidated by their opponents and to have creativity in their play design and calling, which has been sorely missing for years.