Seriously? After Watching The Quality Of The Pats And Giants Are We Ready For The Sb?

Nono

We are competitive every year and that is a huge change for this franchise. I am thankful that Falcon football means something now but when it really counts lets face it we just "wet the bed".

We just aren't there and have never really close at any point during the Blank era. The playoffs are a different animal. The speed and skill level all steps up not to mention the expectations of the coaching. We have fundamental problems like a soft OL, nonextistant pass rush and weak pass coverage. You don't win playoff games like this.

Don't get me wrong myself and everyone on this board is trying like hel to figure out how we retool this team to make us palyoff winners but after watching parts of the superbowl, we have a ways to go before anyone takes us that serious.

Edited by Nono

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During the SB game I just sat there knowing the Falcons didn't come close to the quality of the teams playing. I don't think we earned the right to be in the wildcard game truthfully. We need to start playing more consistently or we'll be in the same boat next year.

You are correct nono. I have been saying for the last four years there is something missing on our team. Actually there are a whole lot of something missing. In the NFL there are teams that walk the walk and teams that walk then piss the bed. We are the ones that walk then piss the bed come playoff time. But as a long time Falcon fan, I will reapeat a common phrase, we will get them next year. After 40+ years of bed soaking, this (2012) has gotta be the time we get off the schnide.

Meh. Both the Giants and the Pats really didn't play all that great. It was a pretty pedestrian SB IMHO.

The Falcons aren't that far off from playing in another SB. They just have to learn, coaching staff included, how to get the team ready to amp up their play in the playoffs.

Once they get that monkey off their backs, you'll see a different team and mindset from then on.

Meh. Both the Giants and the Pats really didn't play all that great. It was a pretty pedestrian SB IMHO.

The Falcons aren't that far off from playing in another SB. They just have to learn, coaching staff included, how to get the team ready to amp up their play in the playoffs.

Once they get that monkey off their backs, you'll see a different team and mindset from then on.

Hope your right statick---I think we are further away from the promised land than that though---and the Giants wipped our ars and shut down our offense while making fun of our D---kinda reminded me of the Green Bay ars whipping---sigh

We are competitive every year and that is a huge change for this franchise. I am thankful that Falcon football means something now but when it really counts lets face it we just "wet the bed".

We just aren't there and have never really close at any point during the Blank era. The playoffs are a different animal. The speed and skill level all steps up not to mention the expectations of the coaching. We have fundamental problems like a soft OL, nonextistant pass rush and weak pass coverage. You don't win playoff games like this.

Don't get me wrong myself and everyone on this board is trying like hel to figure out how we retool this team to make us palyoff winners but after watching parts of the superbowl, we have a ways to go before anyone takes us that serious.

Really? I'd say we've ben "close" in the Blank era, espcially in 2004 and 2010.

Maybe they were 2 good teams that cancelled each other out, but I though both team were deeply unimpressive.

They have 2 of the weakest secondaries and running games in the NFL. Both QB's played efficinet, relatively mistake free games, but neither were outstanding. Aside from the Manningham reception it was a game that lacked moments of real quality or memorable plays.

6 or 7 weeks ago, the Giants looked dead and buried, at 7-7 coming off a long losing streak. Last year they won 10 regular season games, and this year 9 of them. I give them credit for coming good when it counted, but the line betwen success and failure is a fine one. I certainly don't buy this idea that there is a significant gulf between us and them talent wise.

The biggest isssue for us is coaching. We have to do a better job of toughening up and come to play in these big games. There is no excuse for being as uncompetitive as we have been, with our talent. Other teams find a way to mask their weaknesses and take the game ot their opponents. We play uptight, like a team that is too scared of defeat, rather than a team that relishes the fight and takes it to the opponent.

Really? Id say we've ben "close" in the blank era, espcially in 2004 and 2010.

Maybe they were 2 good teams that cancelled each other out, but I though both team were deeply unimpressive.

They have 2 of the weakest secondaries and running games in the NFL. Both Qb's played efficinet, relatively mistake free games, but neither were outstanding. Aside from the Manningham reception it was a game that lacked moments of real quality or memorable plays.

6 or 7 weeks ago, the Giants looked dead and buried, at 7-7 coming off a long losing streak. Last year they win 10 regular season games, and this year 9 of them. I give them credit for coming good when it counted, but the line betwen success and failure is a fine one. I certainly don't buy this idea that there is a significant gulf between us and them talent wise.

Th biggest isssue for us is coaching. We have to do a better job of toughening up and come toplay in these big games. There is no excuse for being as uncompetitive as we have been, with our talent. Other teams find a way to mask their weaknesses and take the game ot their opponents. We play uptight, like a team that is too scared of defeat, rather than a team that relishes the fight and takes it to the opponent.

Thats all fine a dandy my UK friend but you forget the utter ars whippings we have suffered the last 2 years in the playoffs---you call it uptight and I call it "not quite ready or prepared to take the next step yet till we fix a few fundamental problems"---cheers

Edited by Nono

Hope your right statick---I think we are further away from the promised land than that though---and the Giants wipped our ars and shut down our offense while making fun of our D---kinda reminded me of the Green Bay ars whipping---sigh

I think the Giants azz whipping was actually worst than the Green Bay game. We looked totally pathetic and mustering up only 2 points. I agree we do appear to be a little further off than most people think from the Super bowl. We need more than a little tweak. But the way the NFL changes year to year now, I hope we can get some good draft picks and a few big name free agents. This along with two new coordinators can maybe put us where we need to be.

They lack heart , balls and pride . Falcons will beat up on Jags and Panthers but in a dog fight with a good team they fold . Falcons are frauds but we are a good team that will never be great . Starts with the QB position and lack of chip on his shoulder and lack of media (AJC) ripping thr kid

If Matt Ryan was in NYC after way he played he would be ripped to shreds instead media here gives him a pass and so Ryan thinks everything is fine . You can tell it in his press conference and words yea yeah inconsistent . GTFO Ryan you were awful in playoff game

Some of your posts are good to me. But every post you make ends up talking about Ryan. It could be a post about Ray Edwards and you some how bring Ryan into it. As most people know, I am very critical of Ryan as well when he screws up, but man you really hate the guy. You do have some good football knowledge though.

I think the Giants azz whipping was actually worst than the Green Bay game. We looked totally pathetic and mustering up only 2 points. I agree we do appear to be a little further off than most people think fromn the Super bowl. We need more than a little tweak. But the way the NFL changes year to year now, I hope we can get some good draft picks and a few big name free agents. This along with two new coordinators can maybe put us where we need to be.

I know PA--I totally agree---I thought I was crazy but there was calm on these boards or a bunch of apologist after yet another embarrassing playoff loss. My guess is 16 year olds kids who believe in anything they are told---we were humiliated this and last year. We don't have the playoffs figured out. And everyone is dabating a retractable roof---WTF---we should be demanding some GD answers from Flowery Branch!

Edited by Nono

Yep. You have to win playoff games, but teams also need a leader. Usually, the leader is the QB (barring exception like Lewis leading the Ravens). We've given up early in our last two playoff games. To me, that shows lack of a leader who can rally.

I know PA--I totally agree---I thought I was crazy but there was calm on these boards or a bunch of apologist after yet another embarrassing playoff loss. My guess is 16 year olds kids who believe in anything they are told---we were humiliated this and last year. We don't have the playoffs figured out. And everyone is dabating a retractable roof---WTF---we should be demanding some GD answers from Flowery Branch!

Don't think some answers aren't coming. AB has already seen to it that better things are just over the horizon. You don't think he isn't concerned about keeping the Dome sold out?

Good post.

We always get to the show now it's time to get to the credits. The Giants were mediocre all year until the end and the Patriots had no defense. We are not far off. I would not be surprised, with the new coaching and a few players, that we are playing for the ring next year.

Some of your posts are good to me. But every post you make ends up talking about Ryan. It could be a post about Ray Edwards and you some how bring Ryan into it. As most people know, I am very critical of Ryan as well when he screws up, but man you really hate the guy. You do have some good football knowledge though.

Thank you sir

It starts and ends with the QB . Look at Eli Manning . He was never as good as his bro

NYC was killing him in his 4th season . His arm was questioned . The wind in medowlands used to knock it down . The Giants thought they made a mistake and then he had chip on his shoulder and stood up . That takes mental toughness . That is what inspires a team and a franchise . It starts and ends with the QB and if the QB doesnt have that chip he will lose that thrive to be great

we all know Ryan works hard in film but what else where does he inspire the Falcons

Falcons brass wont criticize Ryan

none of our teammates will challenege Ryan

where is Ryan chip on shoulder outside the select few here that question his skill set?

Look at Rodgers chip . Had to sit behind Favre

Brady taken late in draft

Ryan lacks that and that is what team is missing

Guest mashburn

This thread should be changed to...

After watching the quality of the patriots and giants. Are YOU (FAN) were for a super bowl.

I think not.

I never believed it was talent, always coaching. You don't stumble to 13-3. That means the talent is there. In the playoffs, it's always the coaching that carries you. Smitty, MM, and BVG were not a championship caliber staff. That's why the Jets can get to the AFCCG twice with Sanchez as the QB and them being 9-7 (Rex Ryan).

We have the talent, I think we finally got some coaches that can play the big games (Nolan, Hill, Koetter maybe). The last two playoff games we lost because we were unprepared. We had a bye week against the Packers and rolled out the same old and tired gameplan we always did. Same with the Giants. No new wrinkles. Very lax and complacent and it showed in the product on the field. Now we have new blood at the top that is going to change that.

THAT'S where we lacked quality. Until now. Not talent. Giants had 32nd ranked rushing offense. Pats were 32nd defense.

I never believed it was talent, always coaching. You don't stumble to 13-3. That means the talent is there. In the playoffs, it's always the coaching that carries you. Smitty, MM, and BVG were not a championship caliber staff. That's why the Jets can get to the AFCCG twice with Sanchez as the QB and them being 9-7 (Rex Ryan).

We have the talent, I think we finally got some coaches that can play the big games (Nolan, Hill, Koetter maybe). The last two playoff games we lost because we were unprepared. We had a bye week against the Packers and rolled out the same old and tired gameplan we always did. Same with the Giants. No new wrinkles. Very lax and complacent and it showed in the product on the field. Now we have new blood at the top that is going to change that.

THAT'S where we lacked quality. Until now. Not talent. Giants had 32nd ranked rushing offense. Pats were 32nd defense.

Exactly, and when your OC admits defeat befoe the game even starts, you have no chance.

The playoffs are a lottery. Given us a coaching staff with heart and belief to and we have as much chance in that lottery as anybody else.

Brady threw a pass to no one that cost his team a chance at a tie at the end, both teams wasted time outs, Patriots had 12 men on D on a play and still couldn't stop the Giants, Welker dropped the game winner, longest play of the game was 38 yards, Giants had 12 men in the huddle, Bradshaw couldn't fall down outside the endzone...

Those were 2 teams with serious flaws that made it to the final game.

Not particularly a well played game. If Nolan can generate a pass rush and the Falcons improve their Oline and offensive playcalling-all reasonable goals/expectations for next year, no reason the Falcons can't play in the big game.

Great Post.... Bump.

I've said it many times. Although grateful from the doormat we were, "the process" has made us at best, about the "8th" best team in the NFL & I for one do not see it going further with Smith & TD pulling the strings.. We can run all over the busted up teams & rookie Qb's, play good at home, but we fold against pressure.

We are far from being on the same level as the Giants & Pats. Kudo's to both teams. They are great organizations & winners.

We are far from being able to:

• have a QB/scheme that utililizes & makes 4th & 5th string WR's look great & impact the game
  • have coaches that take unknown talent period, rejected by most teams & turn them into impact players. Belichick is a genious finding & turning junk players into great players.
  • be an organization that can draft 2 unknown TE's the same year, & within 2 years turn both into "great players" impacting each game.
  • play consistant week after week home or away.
  • pick up a FA and actually have him involved/helping in a game within 2 weeks

Smith who was "not" looked at by any other NFL teams as their HC canidate is just a nice guy, too nice to be a HC. Says all the right things, more concerned with making a video of waking up early and going to McDonalds.... wants to be each players "friend", say all the right things, and is just too plain "vanilla" & "soft".

TD has allowed all this to go on during his watch. He implanted the "character filter", hired Smith, BVG & MM, allowed our front lines year after year to be our achilles heel, and IMO missed on many draft picks & FA's (lack of).

Exactly, and when your OC admits defeat befoe the game even starts, you have no chance.

The playoffs are a lottery. Given us a coaching staff with heart and belief to and we have as much chance in that lottery as anybody else.

The trolls refuse to bring this up when talking about the Giants game. No way possible Ryan can overcome that. It was all MM's mentality. He was so worried about not letting the Giants stop him instead of forcing the Giants to find a way to stop the onslaught.

The trolls refuse to bring this up when talking about the Giants game. No way possible Ryan can overcome that. It was all MM's mentality. He was so worried about not letting the Giants stop him instead of forcing the Giants to find a way to stop the onslaught.

Blame him for the Falcons failure to win games against quality opponents, playoff games, but you and most and the the vast majority of posters here are in for a rude awakening. New OC/DC, OL/Secondary/QB coach, who's our next excuse? The forrest for for the tress and most just don't get it!

Really? I'd say we've ben "close" in the Blank era, espcially in 2004 and 2010.

They have 2 of the weakest secondaries and running games in the NFL. Both QB's played efficinet, relatively mistake free games, but neither were outstanding. Aside from the Manningham reception it was a game that lacked moments of real quality or memorable plays.

6 or 7 weeks ago, the Giants looked dead and buried, at 7-7 coming off a long losing streak. Last year they won 10 regular season games, and this year 9 of them. I give them credit for coming good when it counted, but the line betwen success and failure is a fine one. I certainly don't buy this idea that there is a significant gulf between us and them talent wise.

The biggest isssue for us is coaching. We have to do a better job of toughening up and come to play in these big games. There is no excuse for being as uncompetitive as we have been, with our talent. Other teams find a way to mask their weaknesses and take the game ot their opponents. We play uptight, like a team that is too scared of defeat, rather than a team that relishes the fight and takes it to the opponent.

100% agree.

When we lost to packers last year, I held my hands up and said that no one could beat that team if they play like that.

Last night was a different story. I think we could have competed with either of those teams last night. The problem is as you say coaching and execution.