Nolan's Defense Could Signal Personnel Changes

74ice

My loyalty is to the Atlanta Falcons...... While cheering and having certain players is cool. I want a team that can function on the defensive and offensive side. That being said I don't care who we let go/resign as long as we have players that fit the "systems"....... I want Superbowls for the Falcons

Thank you for making my point! He USED TO BE A GREAT MAN CORNER. He no longer is, thats why we dont play man. It has nothing to do with Grimes not being able to lock down his side, its Dunta. Why do you think we put Grimes on the right side? Surely you know the right side gets more attention than the left, right? So if he is so good, why did he go to the left side that see's less action?

You are exactly right. Dunta never fully recovered from his hamstring injury and no longer has the speed and burst to hold up in man coverage. Grimes has all the atributes to play man or zone and is head and shoulders above every CB on the roster.

Grimes should get paid, but with Dunta being the 2nd highest played player on the team I don't see Dimitroff paying top dollar for another CB.

So do people on this forum not think we're getting grimes back?

To be honest I think Abe and Grimes are goners.

Abe well time has just caught up and Grimes it's going to be purely a $$$$ decision there its got nothing to do with either guy and the way they play.i really think Nolan will want to play a certain way and these guys won't fit what we want to do.

They got to find out what Sidbury has got and bring in a NT to anchor the defense.They'll probably add a another CB or FS back there aswell letting DeCoud hit the road aswell.

You are exactly right. Dunta never fully recovered from his hamstring injury and no longer has the speed and burst to hold up in man coverage. Grimes has all the atributes to play man or zone and is head and shoulders above every CB on the roster.

Grimes should get paid, but with Dunta being the 2nd highest played player on the team I don't see Dimitroff paying top dollar for another CB.

FINALLY!! Someone who gets it! I agree 100,000%. Grimes will probably end up a cap casualty unless the FO grows some balls and gets rid of Dunta, which would mean they'd have to say they screwed up. And we all know they aren't gonna do that. Too much pride!

You're right that Robinson doesn't really have any footage with the Falcons to show that he's a great man coverage corner. That's because he wasn't allowed to play that way. Go watch film from his time with the Houston Texans and you will see what I'm talking about.

its not like we played nothing but zone.. even in man he struggled at times.. and in cover two you have to press the wr to help the s get ovef in time.. there was times CLOSE UP you would see him miss the jam serveral times and leave the safety hung out to dry...

I like the idea of putting more effort into building a secondary, than to resign an old DE (albeit one of the best).

But the thing is, just improving the secondary, won't get us a lot of coverage sacks all of a sudden.. And Abe IS our pass rush - we don't have anyone with abilities anywhere near Abe's.

I'm a big believer in improving the pass rush to improve the pass defense.. Look at the Giants, they ahve been bringing the heat for years, and are in the SB once again. Kind of the same with the Pats - they give up a lot of yards, but bring the heat and force the opponent into turnovers, and that is what D is good at. The same with the Packers.. Even the Lions.

I see the sense in saving 9 million dollars on an old DE, to spend it on the CB position instead - especially with Nolan as the DC. But I don't think that move alone will make us better against the pass.. We have to be able to bring pressure and get to the QB as well, and if it isn't going to be Abe's job any longer, we need to find another player who can do that, so if we decide to save Abe's salary and use it on Finnegan, we still need to pay someone else to rush the passer. Unless Nolan can work miracles with his scheme and get something out of nothing, from the players we already have on the D-line.

So my point is, the move you mentioned would be a good one, as long as the coaches believe that they can generate sufficient pressure without Abe.. If they don't feel that way, the move will only make us have bigger growing pains that first anticipated with this scheme change Nolan brings. So the pressure is really on the coaches and FO to evaluate what is best now, and for the long term.. It's a tough decision, as it might involve the release of the team's best pass rusher, but if they reach the decision that it is what needs to be done, then I support it 100%.

Hopefully Nolan can find another Cameron Wake dimaond in the rough type player, who can bring the heat for cheap.

I'd be cool with dunta @ rcb with finnegan in the slot and Franks @ lcb. That'd give us 3 physical man corners

Yea, but I'm not so sure that Finnegan will come here to be a nickelback.. He has been covering the opponent's top WRs for the last couple of years, right?

Maybe he would be better as the starter on the outside, with Franks as the nickel. He did a good job in the nickel, contrary to Owens, who seemed to be better on the outside.

All in all, I'm not so sure we get Finnegan though, because of his personality and at times uncontrollable behavior.. He would drive Mike Smith mad. Do you know if there are any other good CBs out there in FA this year?

Guest mashburn

Nolan said 5 starting CB's. why would we be going after finn? That would kill us in cap space. I think we should go after players who are cheap and build it, that way we could have mostly B grade players. instead of just one or two A grade players and the rest in grad D or C because we didn't have the money. we can save a lot of money going after C+ to B grade players, which would mean we could spread the rest of our money around to other pl;aying positions.

Dunta wasn't the second highest paid- Ryan, Abe & Gonzo all had bigger salaries, Ryan, Abe, Gonzo, Babs & White had bigger cap hits.

I would cut dunta, and let decoud, and abraham walk. I would also cut bierman, and draft a DE/OLB type in the 3rd or 4th round. Sign Grimes, and have him, franks, and hayden start. I'd have James Sanders starting at FS and Moore at SS, problem solved.

We can also go after a top notch FS in FA or a RG/LT

I would cut dunta, and let decoud, and abraham walk. I would also cut bierman, and draft a DE/OLB type in the 3rd or 4th round. Sign Grimes, and have him, franks, and hayden start. I'd have James Sanders starting at FS and Moore at SS, problem solved.

We can also go after a top notch FS in FA or a RG/LT

Forget China Doll Hayden the guy is injury prone see ya later in my books I would'nt mind bring a guy like Finnegan here and play him as a CB in the nickel and let CO and Franks battle it out for the other outside starting corner spot.