What Ever Happened To Kerry Meier This Season?

(1) he was comming off a knee surgery, and (2) he is more of a "position type" reciever alot like a finnerian, but in MM offense, that role was pretty much handed over to TG. i honestly thought this being his second year off surgery, they might not resign tony and let kerry step into that role. if you watch film on kerry, he has great hands, and is alot more mobile than TG

Maybe you missed what the OP said. The FO, and media spoke extremely highly of Meier the past 2 years. He said nothing about the board speaking highly of him.

I think he's still sem-recovering from his acl injury.

This was the exact point I was trying to make. It's not like we as a message board were the only ones that had high expectations for Meier but the FO and smitty himself built the kid up like he was gonna make an impact this year or atleast do more than 0 catches.

It's frustrating to see teams like:

New Orleans with Lance Moore, Colsten, Meachem, and Dev Henderson all making an impact

Patriots with Branch, Welker, and a nobody "Edelmen" making an impact

Packers - We all know about all their receivers that put up numbers

I guess it is just under-utilization and the system that was run by Mularkey. But 0 catches from Meier and the underwhelming stats from HD just leave me as a fan very very unsatisfied and disappointed.

In the MM offensive system there was the 1st and 2nd receiver and nothing past that. The only game HD had was the New Orleans game that Julio was out for.

Edited by MattyIce222

I remember seeing articles and pieces on the kid last offseason with Smitty holding him in high praises, leading us as fans to expect production out of him this year but I don't remember seeing him making any plays this season..

Explanation? Was he injured or just underutilized in the ex-Mularkey offense?

I would really like to know because I specifically remember our front office being high on Meier like they had a secret weapon

I believe he's strictly on ST's and he's coming off of an ACL injury. He played 1-3 snaps in the Jaguars game close to the end.

I remember seeing articles and pieces on the kid last offseason with Smitty holding him in high praises, leading us as fans to expect production out of him this year but I don't remember seeing him making any plays this season..

I would really like to know because I specifically remember our front office being high on Meier like they had a secret weapon

Have you ever heard of "coach speak." No coach is going to throw any player under the bus, especially one on his roster. Meiers is a good size guy, but lacks speed, and is not a great route runner. Honestly, being a lower round draft pick I don't expect him to do more than be a special teamer and maybe hold onto the roster as a #4 or #5 WR. If he is not stepping up he is not going to see offensive snaps.

Edited by isproab

Here's the type of article that makes me wonder what happened:

From PY's blog before the season started:

"If you know anything about Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, you know these guys aren’t the types to show a lot of excitement.

They’re calm, methodical and live firmly in a world where public expectations almost always are toned down in a calculated attempt to avoid disappointments. So why was it every time Kerry Meier’s name came up during the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans earlier this week, Dimitroff and Smith sounded -- by their standards -- giddy? They sounded like the clock had been pushed ahead a month and they had just drafted Meier. Or they sounded like they did last year when they really did draft Meier.

Two very mature and understated men couldn’t help themselves from sounding like kids with a new toy when they talked about the guy they drafted in the fifth round (No. 165 overall) last year. Their eyes lit up and their voices carried an extra decibel of excitement when they talked about their hopes for Meier this year...."

Read several article like this, does make me wonder if MM just wouldn't use him.

WR coach was unable to develop him or any of our WR talent......but seems we're keeping that coach anyway.