What Ever Happened To Kerry Meier This Season?

MattyIce222

I remember seeing articles and pieces on the kid last offseason with Smitty holding him in high praises, leading us as fans to expect production out of him this year but I don't remember seeing him making any plays this season..

Explanation? Was he injured or just underutilized in the ex-Mularkey offense?

I would really like to know because I specifically remember our front office being high on Meier like they had a secret weapon

Edited by MattyIce222

Honestly, who really knows, besides the coaches and other players, how much of a contribution Meier can make? I know he has good hands and runs good routes, but I don't know how healthy that knee was this past season, and that is the reason why I'm not gonna make any assumptions....

Loved the pick when we made it. Just hasn't panned out....yet

If he was that good he'd of been on the field. Mulakey is to blame for plenty such as route combinations, play design, conservative play calling

me not talent judging.

Dude Mularkey relies completely on a few players and runs a grip of two TE and two RB sets. I dont think anyone is arguing hes better than our top 3 wrs but even if mularkey did run a 4 wr set he wouldnt be bright enough to use meier or douglas or quizz in a matchup advantage. his play woukd still call for the ball to go to a guy the defense is expecting it to go to. He sucked and your praise of his route combinations is disturbing.

If he was that good he'd of been on the field. Mulakey is to blame for plenty such as route combinations, play design, conservative play calling

me not talent judging.

Dude Mularkey relies completely on a few players and runs a grip of two TE and two RB sets. I dont think anyone is arguing hes better than our top 3 wrs but even if mularkey did run a 4 wr set he wouldnt be bright enough to use meier or douglas or quizz in a matchup advantage. his play woukd still call for the ball to go to a guy the defense is expecting it to go to. He sucked and your praise of his route combinations is disturbing.

He isn't any good. I wonder some times why people try hanging on to some of the low talent players we have on this time. Ex meier, jerry, baker they'd all be gone of it were up to me plus manu others

In Meier's case I completely disagree. As someone else pointed out, MM couldn't even figure out how to get Harry Douglas involved when HD was making explosive plays the few times he managed to work him into the game plan. Throw in that Meier lost his entire rookie year to injury and may not have been entirely healthy this season and I think there is no way you can say with any authority that he "isn't any good".

As far as the other two you named, Baker I agree with. He has gotten progressively worse year after year and got beat out by a 30 year old career backup... who was solid at best.

Jerry I'm willing to give him one more chance to see if Nolan can do anything with him. He is still on his rookie contract and his base salary is only $845,000 with a cap hit of $2.35 million. Cutting him would cost us $3.01 million against the cap (his pro-rated signing bonus for this year and next) so keeping him would actually save us $660,000 or so.

Honestly, who really knows, besides the coaches and other players, how much of a contribution Meier can make? I know he has good hands and runs good routes, but I don't know how healthy that knee was this past season, and that is the reason why I'm not gonna make any assumptions....

Loved the pick when we made it. Just hasn't panned out....yet

Same thing was said about Douglas and when our ex OC used him he looked good. Like someone elase said 'He got Mularkeyed"

As far as the Daren Stone award seriously talk about left field he has yet to be given a chance weither it was M.m. or what. Time will tell.

Probably isn't as good as we thought.... there is always players that the TATF love and think will be the next superstar even though they are buried at like 5th string on our roster.

Maybe you missed what the OP said. The FO, and media spoke extremely highly of Meier the past 2 years. He said nothing about the board speaking highly of him.

I think he's still sem-recovering from his acl injury.

I think it has to do more with him not being a top 2 WR on the depth chart. HD was under utilized, do you think MM was going to dig deeper in the WR bin and get Meier involved? Meier played a few snaps, all blocking plays. Pitiful.

Kid has top 3 hands on this team. He should have more than 0 catches for his career with the hands he has.

I really like Kevin Cone, I don't see Kerry Meier being anything more than a possible redzone target. I think if we draft anyone or even get a good UDFA and have him compete with Cone, Meier, Weems, Practice squad guys I'm not sure if Meier makes the team. I might not get some love out of these comments but this is my opinion in all honesty. I'm not a big fan. Could be wrong though, I like him a redzone target and I think he can be used but I also like Kevin Cone and his potential more. If I had to choose one for next years roster it would be Cone.

Asked the same question to Pat Yasinkas in a chat a few weeks ago:

Falconidae (Atlanta)

Hey Pat, what happened to Kerry Meier this year? Read your piece early in the year about how much the coaching staff loved Meier and have read many similar articles from the local media in Atlanta. Not sure if he caught a pass this year, but he has shown up in some games, so he's not hurt. Know what happened to him?

Pat Yasinskas (1:09 PM)

He actually has been hurt in recent weeks -- probably last month or so. Before that, he was pretty much just making impact on special teams. He's fifth receiver and was never really able to crack the rotation. They still like him and think he has a future.

Agree that he got Mularkeyed- think both Meier & Rodgers will greatly benefit from an offense that spreads the ball around to all it's playmakers.