The Year You Became A Falcon Fan, How Did The Season Go?

fansince78

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised you hadn't switched to another team by the time that season was over.

I hate quitters and I've been a die hard fan of Boca Juniors for 20 years now, once I start following a team of a sport I like I will never let that feeling go away, no matter how bad they are performing.

I have to admit, having to follow the team in 2007 was rough though, watching a team you recently started to follow do so bad week after week. Either way it worked out for the best, it increased my sentiments towards the team.

1980 for me. I had just served an 8 year hitch in the Marines, and during the entire time I never got to watch one live NFL game because I was always either stationed in some backwater hick town where we got no TV reception (yes there was a time before cable), on a ship, or overseas where Armed Forces Television showed some random game from a week before that you already had read about and knew every scoring play.

I got discharged October 30 and moved to Atlanta with my wife who was a native here, and BOOM the Falcons were on a hot streak in the NFL with an awesome running game, "explosive" passing game, and one mean defense that was killing people. Man I fell in love not just because they were winning, but because I was so happy to be able to attend professional football games, which I had never been able to do growing up because my hometown didn't have one.

Well you all know the rest. Went to the NFC Championship where we OWNED the Cowboys for most of the game. Then we made a mistake by knocking out Roger Staubach (my hero growing up). Danny White came in an promptly made an incredible comeback, and they won.

But been hooked on the Falcons ever since through the good times and mostly bad times. Along the way my wife became a rabid fan as well, and is now VERY knowledgeable about he game.

GO FALCONS !!

On September 11th, 1966 the Falcons took the field at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium led by former Packers assistant coach Norb Hecker who had been on the staff of head coach Vince Lombardi. The Falcons owners were advised by Lombardi not to make Hecker their head coach. They thought it was a ploy for Lombardi to retain his assistant. This was their first mistake. The Smith family had been wildly successful in the insurance business but their love for football did not equate to knowledge of the game or how things really worked in the NFL. In their first official game against the Los Angeles Rams the opposition jumped out to a 16-0 lead, the Falcons scored 14 points to get back in the game. However, the Rams would score a Field Goal, to ice a 19-14 win, dropping the Falcons to 0-1. The Falcons would go on to lose their first nine games before traveling to New York on November 20th where they beat the Giants 26-14. The Falcons would go on to split their final four games to finish with a 3-11 record in their inaugural season.

1980 for me. I had just served an 8 year hitch in the Marines, and during the entire time I never got to watch one live NFL game because I was always either stationed in some backwater hick town where we got no TV reception (yes there was a time before cable), on a ship, or overseas where Armed Forces Television showed some random game from a week before that you already had read about and knew every scoring play.

I got discharged October 30 and moved to Atlanta with my wife who was a native here, and BOOM the Falcons were on a hot streak in the NFL with an awesome running game, "explosive" passing game, and one mean defense that was killing people. Man I fell in love not just because they were winning, but because I was so happy to be able to attend professional football games, which I had never been able to do growing up because my hometown didn't have one.

Well you all know the rest. Went to the NFC Championship where we OWNED the Cowboys for most of the game. Then we made a mistake by knocking out Roger Staubach (my hero growing up). Danny White came in an promptly made an incredible comeback, and they won.

But been hooked on the Falcons ever since through the good times and mostly bad times. Along the way my wife became a rabid fan as well, and is now VERY knowledgeable about he game.

GO FALCONS !!

You are actually kind of meshing 1978 and 1980 together there.. The Falcons lost to the Cowboys both years, and both years it was the Divsional round, not the NFC Championship game.

In 78, the Falcons led the Cowboys in Dallas by a TD at half time, but the Cowboys dominated the second half and won by a TD. That was the game where Robert Pennywell knocked out Staubach and White played the second half.

In 80, Danny White was the starter for Dallas. The Falcons dominated most all of that game in Atlanta, but Danny White got the Cowboys two TDs in the last 3 minutes to win it. An epic collapse by the Falcons.

The Cowboys went on to the Super Bowl in 78 and lost to the Steelers, but in 1980 they lost the NFC Championship game to the Eagles, who lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl.

The perfect microcosm of the Falcons franchise

We start 4-0 for the first time ever, we beat Dallas on the road our team is looking like SB contenders, David Archer is playing lights out, we tank the season finish 7-8-1 miss the playoffs

1978 was my first "official" year as a fan.

*Atlanta Fulton County Stadium....enough said

*First time making the playoffs

*First playoff victory (Iggles 14-13), Lost to the Cowgirls in div

*Steven Joseph Bartkowski

*June Jones was our back up QB

*Our leading rusher was Bubba Bean, our FB

*My favorite player was Jeff Van Note

*The Taints finished behind us, where they belong.

The perfect microcosm of the Falcons franchise

We start 4-0 for the first time ever, we beat Dallas on the road our team is looking like SB contenders, David Archer is playing lights out, we tank the season finish 7-8-1 miss the playoffs

That Cowboys game in 86 is one of my favorite Falcons games of all time. As exciting game as anyone will ever see.

After that game, and the OT win against the Bucs the next week, the rest of the season was a bummer.

1980 for me is when I started playing little league football and started watching falcons on TV. They were 12-4 that year and first in the NFC west division. However they were one and done to the cowgirls.

1980 was the year for me too.

I was raised in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, which is an hour away from Buffalo, NY. As a kid in the 70s I loved the Vikings for some reason, but by 1980 all of their great players (Tarkenton, Foreman, Page, Marshall, etc.) had retired and they had slipped into mediocrity. Growing up I hated Dallas, Oakland and the Rams (in that order).

Because I lived near Buffalo, we would get the Buffalo TV affiliates for ABC, NBC, and CBS and I was watching whatever game was on TV on October 26, 1980. That game finished early and they cut to the completion of the Rams @ Atlanta game (remember I hated the Rams!). The Falcons were trailing 10-6 with just over a minute left and had a 4th and 11 (I think) at their 46-yard line. Bartkowksi dropped back and hit Alfred Jackson with a 54-yard post pattern bomb. The crowd at Fulton went nuts and so did I! My hated Rams lost a stunner and I loved how the crowd reacted and I loved those red uniforms of that era (which I think are still the best in the franchise's history.

The Falcons became my team from that day forward - the Vikes are my second but it's not even close.

I remember I always had an interest in the Falcons, but didn't have a "team". Growing up in central WV, it was either Pittsburgh or Washington. All I knew is that I didn't like either of those teams. I liked the Falcons a little, the Oilers a little, and the Lions a little.

It was 1990. I was 10, and starting to realize that a fan should only have one team. The Falcons I saw in 1990 looked different. I always liked the red helmet and that iconic logo, but this new black theme was awesome. I started to realize this was my team. That season sucked, I think they were 5-11.

The next season we went to the playoffs. I still remember sitting in my grandmothers floor watching the Falcons and the Saints in the wildcard game. That was the first time I really had those nervous butterflies for a team. The game was intense, and we scored the go-ahead TD with only a few minutes left. When Miller hit Haynes for the TD that ended up being the winner, 10 year old me had become a fan for life. Of course, we got destroyed by Washington in the next round.

Fisrt moved to Atlanta from Northwest Indiana in August 1985 with my wife and infant son, and the Falcons have been my pro football team ever since. The team went 4-12 that year. (I suppose growing up as a Cubs fans has somewhat made losing seasons and/or playoff disappointments a little easer to deal with, but not really.)

It was 1990, Glanvilles 1st year back in black. I believe they went 5-11. The next year they went 10-6 and made the playoffs, playing the saints in the first round. I remember the falcons winning that game but losing the next week to the redskins. What I remember about that

games was that it was raining a lot and that

gave the falcons problems catching the ball, losing to the skins.

I've never lived in georgia in my life, so I don't care about the state or other teams in it. But I eat breathe falcon football going on 22 years now.

Edited by mark0demi