Could Ray Edwards Return To Form If We Pick Up Mario Williams?

THE ICEMAN

Ray was a pretty good DE with the Vikings and if not for injuries his last year there he may of gottin 10 sacks (I think he missed 2 games and ended up with 8.5 sacks for the year) but If we land Mario Wlilliams who is an every down player unless he injuried unlike Aba will it may make Ray Edwards a better player or close to the player he was with the Vikings?

Because me included some people were saying there really not much difference in Jared Allen and Aba they both are elite pass rushers and command double teams but I forgot that Aba is old(33) for one and was on a Snaps count because of his age and at times is has been very inconsistant but manly the snap count hurt the DL as were Jared Allen isn't on a snaps count and is an every down player like Mario Williams.

Man in Nolans hybird looks would have Mario,Babs,Peters,Ray,Spoon and then throw in Sidbury in some 3-4 4-3 looks were you rushing 5 hopefully Nolan would know how to use all that talent.

And for the people out there that don't think its possible to sign Mario Williams look at it this way if the Falcons were willing to pay John Abraham 10.5 mil last year and that was against the cap at age 33 then I say they wouldn't mind paying a guy like Mario Williams who's only 26 and a Franchise type of player what Pepers got which is about an 12.5 mil yearly and with Roster bonus they could even make the cap hit much lower kind of what they did with Dunta Robinson.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards was never really a great pass rusher as he was a great run stopper in MIN and 8.5 sacks for a Run Stopping DE is like once in a lifetime for most. I wont doubt his play in Atlanta, but for most of us fans to actually expect a guy like Ray Edwards to make 10-15+ sacks is really asking for a lot more than what Edwards has ever produced as far as rushing the passer. If there were a possibility that Williams came in at he stood up as a OLB in a potential "Hybrid" 3-4, Edwards would be a Great DE in the package.

I don't get the post why would adding another player motivate a mentioned player to play better.

For me you take pride in your own performance you shouldn't need to have outside factors dictate your play that surely should come from within.

Agreed here Ray is'nt a double digit guy if he does his job he's a 8 sack guy 10+ would be overachieveing if he just does what he did in Minnesota the Falcons will be the better for it.

Thats not happening but its a nice pipe dream though.

Yeah, I haven't been a big fan of Edwards from the signing. I always though when he played for the Vikings that he was the product of a really good defensive line. So far, I think my opinion has some truth. Many will point out that Ray Ray's injury has slow him down this year. I am truly hoping that this is the case, but I don't really don't think he is gonna do much better 100%.

Ray was a pretty good DE with the Vikings and if not for injuries his last year there he may of gottin 10 sacks (I think he missed 2 games and ended up with 8.5 sacks for the year) but If we land Mario Wlilliams who is an every down player unless he injuried unlike Aba will it may make Ray Edwards a better player or close to the player he was with the Vikings?

Because me included some people were saying there really not much difference in Jared Allen and Aba they both are elite pass rushers and command double teams but I forgot that Aba is old(33) for one and was on a Snaps count because of his age and at times is has been very inconsistant but manly the snap count hurt the DL as were Jared Allen isn't on a snaps count and is an every down player like Mario Williams.

Man in Nolans hybird looks would have Mario,Babs,Peters,Ray,Spoon and then throw in Sidbury in some 3-4 4-3 looks were you rushing 5 hopefully Nolan would know how to use all that talent.

And for the people out there that don't think its possible to sign Mario Williams look at it this way if the Falcons were willing to pay John Abraham 10.5 mil last year and that was against the cap at age 33 then I say they wouldn't mind paying a guy like Mario Williams who's only 26 and a Franchise type of player what Pepers got which is about an 12.5 mil yearly and with Roster bonus they could even make the cap hit much lower kind of what they did with Dunta Robinson.

Edwards was never a great pass rusher. He got his numbers cause the offense/QB was running away from Jared Allen and just ran into him.

Lost in emotions. LOL!!!

There is an answer to the question. The QB's were stepping up into the pocket instead of running

into Edwards. There was no interior push. None whatsoever and if we had coached it that way we

would have had a near perfect season for failing to collapse the pocket.

I hate it man, but Ray Ray strikes me as one of those fat and happy " I just got paid " MOFO's , call it the MeAngelo Hall syndrome when he signed with the Raiders, sucked and Al cut him .....what alot of folks dont realize is that Edwards never was and prolly never will be a " sackmaster ' .....as another poster stated, he is more of an every down run stuffing LDE ........I hate it, but I got a feeling he will dissapoint AGAIN , I pray I am wrong .......

I honestly dont think the opposite DE has any effect on Edwards, Edwards doesnt show much when he is one on one, so that just means a RB or TE is going to chip the RDE, what I think what would help Edwards most is pressure from the DT from the inside and maybe more blitzes, to flush the QB towards him

No push from the middle of the line this season. Without that, Ray Edwards gets too much attention to be effective. Strange, how people are all over Edwards, but laying off Babineaux, who had a bad season.

Babs did take a step back, but watching Ray closely he's just not that good. It wasn't like he garnered a ton of attention. He just couldn't beat his matchup with that same weak bullrush or terrible excuse for a spin move.

I like Ray Edwards for his RUN defense, but watching him in pass rush this season, he has some of the worst moves I have seen for a starting DE.

Honestly, we could have kept JA98 for league minimum and brought in Sidbury on all passing downs, and had better results.

I like Ray Edwards for his RUN defense, but watching him in pass rush this season, he has some of the worst moves I have seen for a starting DE.

Honestly, we could have kept JA98 for league minimum and brought in Sidbury on all passing downs, and had better results.

Now that's the truth. JA98 wasnt all that good, but I believe he was better than Edwards is.

Babs did take a step back, but watching Ray closely he's just not that good. It wasn't like he garnered a ton of attention. He just couldn't beat his matchup with that same weak bullrush or terrible excuse for a spin move.

We knew that about Ray Edwards going into this. He made his rep on a big game against Dallas. Ray never was the solution, just a desperation move, made more palatable by a cheaper-than-expected contract.

We knew that about Ray Edwards going into this. He made his rep on a big game against Dallas. Ray never was the solution, just a desperation move, made more palatable by a cheaper-than-expected contract.

I didn't. I'd seen Ray in limited spots and wasn't overly impressed but I definitely hoped that with what we signed him for he'd be gving us much more production. Like someone else said, we'd have been in better shape having not brought him on and having stuck with JA98 and giving Sid more reps. Ray just stinks and next year people won't be able to use the surgery or no off season excuse.