Superbowl Teams Have.....

dipper

I love my Atlanta Falcons to the end, I've even renewed my Season Tickets but I still have some issues with our play calling. Watching the NFC and AFC Championship game has me disliking Matt Ryan even more.

We find ways to protect Ryan after a loss, we say it's the Offensive line, we say Roddy can't catch, we say Murlarkey can't coach but to sum it up, Ryan is not an all around QB. Flaco, Manning, Smith and Brady have a talent that can't be coached. These QB's handle pressure with ease, Manning was sacked 6x, 50+ passes, Brady has no back field but still manage to drive down field, Smith finds ways to scramble out of pocket to run 10-15 yards down field and Flaco airs the ball down field with ease.

Ryan may be a good guy and a average QB but it take more than 4,000 yards passing to make it to the next level. Our new OC will expose the true Ryan, either he makes the passes down field or scrambles out the pocket. 2012 will make or break Ryan.

So bash me all you want, call me a poor fan but it will all come to light in 2012. Ryan was put here for his image not his skill.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Atlanta Falcons to the end, I've even renewed my Season Tickets but I still have some issues with our play calling. Watching the NFC and AFC Championship game has me disliking Matt Ryan even more.

We find ways to protect Ryan after a loss, we say it's the Offensive line, we say Roddy can't catch, we say Murlarkey can't coach but to sum it up, Ryan is not an all around QB. Flaco, Manning, Smith and Brady have a talent that can't be coached. These QB's handle pressure with ease, Manning was sacked 6x, 50+ passes, Brady has no back field but still manage to drive down field, Smith finds ways to scramble out of pocket to run 10-15 yards down field and Flaco airs the ball down field with ease.

Ryan may be a good guy and a average QB but it take more than 4,000 yards passing to make it to the next level. Our new OC will expose the true Ryan, either he makes the passes down field or scrambles out the pocket. 2012 will make or break Ryan.

So bash me all you want, call me a poor fan but it will all come to light in 2012. Ryan was put here for his image not his skill.

I think this is actually a realy objective view. I dont think the OP was bashing Ryan at all.

Lets be honest, is Ryan really a leader of the Falcons offense?

"THE DAY SOLDIERS STOP BRINGING YOU THEIR PROBLEMS IS THE DAY YOU HAVE STOPPED LEADING THEM. THEY HAVE EITHER LOST CONFIDENCE THAT YOU CAN HELP THEM OR CONCLUDED THAT YOU DO NOT CARE. EITHER CASE IS A FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP."

Our soldiers have lost confidence.....

"THE DAY SOLDIERS STOP BRINGING YOU THEIR PROBLEMS IS THE DAY YOU HAVE STOPPED LEADING THEM. THEY HAVE EITHER LOST CONFIDENCE THAT YOU CAN HELP THEM OR CONCLUDED THAT YOU DO NOT CARE. EITHER CASE IS A FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP."

What's the fix this year? or next year? LEAD

Edited by falcon057

Smith? Smith? 12 for 26 46% completion for 196 yds. /thread

With open field in front of him Smith didn't hesitate and slip like a piece of wet lettuce.

Face it, Matt is a nice guy but he's anything but Ice in the playoffs.

Manning got sacked 6 times? Are the Giants whining about their O-line?

Hmmmmm

Edited by netrto4150

seriously, what are you smoking

Alex Smith(while he can run better) was 12 of 26, below 50% he had 1 COMPLETION!!! to a WR take away that 73 yard TD to Davis, and he played terrible

Flacco is not better than Ryan

and Bradys QB rating yesterday = 57.5

I'm not excusing ryan for bad play, but give it a rest

Edited by 74ice

Alex Smith in 7 years has never had a season as good as Matt's rookie season. San Fran's Defense and Vernon Davis's speed is what kept them in that game. Alex Smith's armstrength and leadership isn't.

I'm not taking anything away from Smith. But this is ridiculous.

You see what you want to see. Matt isn't going anywhere, I don't see Tom Brady winning that game wiht that OL and that gameplan. Everything you need to know about that game was conceded by Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey in post game interviews. If you want to question leadership start at the top.

Matt shouldve played better, but in the heirarchy of blame, he's no where near the top. Matt should be challenging the coaching, Matt needs to work on his deep ball. The kid wins 11 games a year, and besides Tony Gonzales is the only leader on this team. As much as I like Turner and Roddy, they have the leadership skills of a wet paper sack.

You may take this as me making excuses for Matt, and I'm not. The fact is, he is the only leader on this team, and that's the problem. Our coach has lost his spine since the Green Bay game, and we game plan conceding the strengths of other teams, and not challenging them. There is an endemic culture issue in Flowery Branch, and Matt Ryan is a victim of that more than a cause.

Give me 10 reasons why we should keep Ryan and stop bashing him?

Gonna be some great franchise QB's available for us with that low #2 pick !,... geez man maybe we get that real neat Houston QB Keenum ! ......or maybe we can pry Jimmy Clausen away from the Pantys ! ....boy are you smart. you started a real neat original type thread here at TATF ! ....just cant get too many Ryan sucks threads, boy howdy .......

Alex Smith in 7 years has never had a season as good as Matt's rookie season. San Fran's Defense and Vernon Davis's speed is what kept them in that game. Alex Smith's armstrength and leadership isn't.

I'm not taking anything away from Smith. But this is ridiculous.

You see what you want to see. Matt isn't going anywhere, I don't see Tom Brady winning that game wiht that OL and that gameplan. Everything you need to know about that game was conceded by Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey in post game interviews. If you want to question leadership start at the top.

Matt shouldve played better, but in the heirarchy of blame, he's no where near the top. Matt should be challenging the coaching, Matt needs to work on his deep ball. The kid wins 11 games a year, and besides Tony Gonzales is the only leader on this team. As much as I like Turner and Roddy, they have the leadership skills of a wet paper sack.

You may take this as me making excuses for Matt, and I'm not. The fact is, he is the only leader on this team, and that's the problem. Our coach has lost his spine since the Green Bay game, and we game plan conceding the strengths of other teams, and not challenging them. There is an endemic culture issue in Flowery Branch, and Matt Ryan is a victim of that more than a cause.

i take issue with only one thing you said Tony Gonzales is the only leader???? Curtis Lofton, Mike Peterson, Ovie

thats 2 on offense 2 on defense, then add Ryan

Edited by 74ice

This speaks directly about MM, not Ryan. Your first sentence sums up everything from your post:

"

I love my Atlanta Falcons to the end, I've even renewed my Season Tickets but I still have some issues with our play calling"

But then you point to it being the rea

son you dislike Ryan more. Ryan doesn't control playcalling. Yes, I think he can handle pressure better, but an OC has to do a better job of compensating for it. Eli was getting hit and pressured, but he still had guys coming open, mostly in the middle of the field. Two things there: we never have guys coming open and we never have guys in the middle of the field.

When your OLine is struggling, the best way to help the QB is to get WRs in his field of vision quick. That means to the middle of the field. It lets the QB see a lot of options in one window. Ryan has all of his routes going to the sidelines so he has to look to both sidelines to see who is open. If he is getting pressured, he has to pick a sideline early and if it's not there, throw it away or bail.

Look at Alex Smith's 2 TDs to Vernon Davis. Davis was wide open. When have you seen one of our guys running open like that? That's pure play design.

All of the qbs in yesterdays games were put under major pressure and had to still find ways to make plays. Unfortunately our QB does not handle pressure well at all. If Ryan has to take 2 steps to the side then he is looking to unload the ball as soon as possible. When he is outside the pocket the play is pretty much over at that point.

Thats the problem with Ryan. Against poor teams he looks great but as soon as another good team rolls into town he isnt worth crap.

Edited by the_sheff

i take issue with only one thing you said Tony Gonzales is the only leader???? Curtis Lofton, Mike Peterson, Ovie

Lofton is not a leader. We don't have any leaders on defense really. Who rallies the troops when things are going bad? Who rallied the troops when Brees was hanging 45 on us? Lofton is suppose to be but he isn't. They are nice and afraid to step on toes. The Ravens have plenty of them. The Giants have them and even Antrel Rolle is one. The Niners have them. The Pats don't have any on defense and they suck but I would say Wilfork is one possibly.

Our defense gets pushed around because they lack that passionate leader that top defenses have. Our offense lacked fire because their OC was a puss.

Can't bash you because you are right. You have no idea ow many times this past season I cursed him for being a piss poor QB. He has gotten progressively worse each year. I don't think he can be turned around. He just plain lost whatever little bit he had in '08.

There's nothing wrong with his 4000 passing in the regular season... It's his perfomance against top teams and playoff performances that's the problem. This team will go as far as Matt Ryan will take them, he needs to do better plain and simple.

so his performance against Green Bay, Baltimore New Orleans(last year) Jets(2 years ago), Philly and Detroit this year, those werent good??

playoffs I will give you,

how long did it take for Elway to get his first Super Bowl, and he was the best pure QB in the game in the 80's 90's

Our new OC will expose the true Ryan, either he makes the passes down field or scrambles out the pocket. 2012 will make or break Ryan.

So 1 of the worst OC in the NFL is gonna expose a winning QB to really being a loser? Wouldn't that just mean the loser made the QB a loser as well? Really if Ryan had 4 winning seasons and this guy comes over and we have a losing season. Couldn't it mean the OC is exposed first.

Our OC hasn't exposed anything in his NFL career, he hasn't accomplished anything either.

So 1 of the worst OC in the NFL is gonna expose a winning QB to really being a loser? Wouldn't that just mean the loser made the QB a loser as well? Really if Ryan had 4 winning seasons and this guy comes over and we have a losing season. Couldn't it mean the OC is exposed first.

Our OC hasn't exposed anything in his NFL career, he hasn't accomplished anything either.

I don't think he meant expose like they. Basically, the REAL Matt Ryan will show himself.

Where were Peterson and Ovie for that game? IR. And I was referring to the offense anyway. Tony and Matt and that's it. I'm not excusing anyone's play, but the main reason we lost that game is coaching. Mike Smith makes this team play nervous. I love Smitty, and I am not saying fire him, but he has to change the culture of fear and quit letting other teams intimidate him into bad decisions.