Not Many Pass Rushers Set To Hit Fa

On D beyond resigning Lofton our biggest need is to upgrade the pass rush. Our best pass rusher is a FA who's 33. I don't see many impact pass rushers potentially available. They could all be resigned or tagged.

-Mario Williams DE/DT

-Cliff Avril DE

-Robert Mathis DE

-Calais Campbell DT/DE

These are the only impact pass rushers. Anthony Spencer and Manny Lawson are also potentially available but they're not real difference making pass rushers.

IF Williams or Avril did hit the market we could upgrade with them over Abe but it would be a massive gamble to let Abe walk and hope someone is available and will sign with us. We would be best off resigning Abe before FA starts. We may also want to consider resigning Biermann for the same reason. We could then add a pass rusher in the draft.

One FA who may be available is Paul Soliai from Miami. The NT is 28, 6'4 355 and was Nolans starting nose tackle with the Dolphins. He played on a 12 M franchise tag last season so if tagged again he would cost MIA a ton, making him likely to be available. He would give us a much needed force at DT to keep our LBs clean, free up our other players and keep our other DTs fresh, and set up 3rd and long situations.

For the same reasons we should resign Lofton and Abe we should resign Grimes or atleast tag him which would give us a trade chip to play with. Then we'd only need to worry about finding a safety, D could look like

RE Abe, Sidbury

UT Babineaux, Peters

NT Paul Soliai (FA), Jerry, Walker

LE Edwards, Biermann

ROLB Weatherspoon, Adkins

MLB Lofton, Peterson

LOLB Nicholas, Dent

RCB Robinson, Owens

LCB Grimes, Franks

FS Michael Griffin (FA), Shillinger

SS Moore, Sanders

Then in the draft we would look to add a speed edge rusher and possibly a CB. Lofton is a must to resign, he is irreplaceable. Abe could be replaced by Mario Williams or Cliff Avril but we dont know theyre available, so resigning him and Biermann prevents us from getting caught with no viable options. Grimes is a good player and losing him doesnt make us better as there isnt much depth behind him. Decoud is a FA and not worth resigning, hopefully we can upgrade with a guy like Michael Griffin or Dashon Goldson.

Campbell would be a huge pickup, I would think he would line up at DT usually except for DE in some run situations, although I dont see him being available hes young massive and has produced like crazy for 3 years straight. It wouldnt surprise me if he wants to leave with their QB mess so I suspect if he turns down the truckload of money they offer him they'll franchise tag him as he's definately their best FA and they cant lose him

I def would not invest 10 M of our cap space into soliai only tp put peters on the bench. He and babs will be dynamic next season. I highly doubt anyone else starts at the dt spots as long as it remains a 4-3.

I would rather see mathis brought in and abe retained. Would make for a very favorable pass rush on long down situations.

Campbell would be a huge pickup, I would think he would line up at DT usually except for DE in some run situations, although I dont see him being available hes young massive and has produced like crazy for 3 years straight. It wouldnt surprise me if he wants to leave with their QB mess so I suspect if he turns down the truckload of money they offer him they'll franchise tag him as he's definately their best FA and they cant lose him

Big fan of Campbell! Would be a great pick up.

I def would not invest 10 M of our cap space into soliai only tp put peters on the bench. He and babs will be dynamic next season. I highly doubt anyone else starts at the dt spots as long as it remains a 4-3.

I would rather see mathis brought in and abe retained. Would make for a very favorable pass rush on long down situations.

Babineaux and Peters are both quick undersized DTs. The longer they stay on the field and the more run downs they play, the less effective they are as run defenders or pass rushers.

In the NYG game the defense came out strong but as the O completely failed to sustain any drives they wore down. The run D got gashed. We need a big NT to come in and play run downs who will eat up and anchor against the double teams that were washing Babs and Peters out of the play and in doing so free up the other DL to make plays. This sets us up in 3rd and long situations and lets our quick DTs contribute as pass rushers with the energy to do so because they havent been getting pushed backwards in the run game.

If you think just Babineaux and Peters is enough at the DT position with the busy Jerry behind them you're completely wrong. The interior pass rush was a non factor this season which didnt make things any easier for the DEs. The D is entirely dependent upon the D line and we didnt have a good enough pass rush or enough depth to play D in the 4th quarter.

If you dont have about 3 real pro bowl caliber game changers you better have 6-8 quality NFL players and we dont

Edited by DirtyBirdDynasty