Nolan: Id Rather Have 10 Guys With 4 Sacks, Then To Have 4 Guys With 10 Sacks..

crankdatfalcon

first of all.. 4 guys are not going to have 10 sacks...lol... You are basically saying he rather have sack threats every then have a guy or 2 getting all the sacks... A team can scheme out a guy or maybe 2.... But if you have D-Lineman, LB, and DB's getting sacks... The QB and O-Line dont know where the pressure is coming from.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If 10 guys are getting sacks you don't know who to double team. What he is saying is you have to create a scheme where the pressure is coming from anywhere. This will confuse offenses. For a guy to get 10 sacks, he has to be special. For a guy to get 4 sacks, he just has to be put in the right place at the right time. If you happen to have one or two "special" guys who get "extra" sacks due to individual effort, then that's just icing on the cake.

i think he was just highlighting the fact that he wants pressure from every where, not just where they think it will probably come from...........i like the idea either way that team has atleast 40 sacksrolleyes.gif

Dolphins had 41 sacks this season by 13 different players

How much of that was Cameron Wake? Hes beastmode, CFL product owning up this league.

but yes, I do think Nolan is going to squeeze everything he can out of our guys unlike BVG. We should have at least 7 players with 4+ sacks each (abe, babs, edwards, bierman, sidbury, spoon, peters at least)

just became a 49ers fan last Saturday so i never followed 'em closely. but i can say that Nolan's defenses were well respected in the time he was in san fran. and from the sounds of it, he REALLY likes the DC role more than HC...which is supa for us!!!

on the Dunta talk...cat just seems to slow to play CB now...hope Nolan gives him a look at FS...

10 guys with 4 sacks?

That means the pressure is coming from everywhere: linebacker level, safeties, corners, beer vendors...

You wanted pressure? Here it comes.

and on a sidenote: if Dunta is ever going to look anything like a $60 million gamechanger, it's going to be now or never.

agreed........4 guys with 10 sacks each also puts you in "cap h3ll" - they all want a bunch of money.

10 guys with 4 sacks means you are "out-scheming" the offense......I've never felt like the Falcons had a distinct coaching advantage before. With Mike Nolan, I think that is about to change.

I don't actually like hearing that. I'd rather have 4 guys with 10 sacks. That means they will draw double teams and get the attention away from other guys, thus creating those other opportunities.

10 guys with 4 sacks mean the heat is coming from everywhere. So it's tougher to game plan to stop a bunch of players than it is to stop a select few. You pick to double team 1 guy, you got a whole herd of them behind him to bring the heat! Can't agree with your thinking here.

Also you have to get them into a rhythm.

What he's saying is that he can scheme to get matchups for more than just a few guys on the team. **** stay aggressive no matter who's in there. This tells me that the expectation is high for his players no matter what string they are and how much PT they get.

If you're talking about over the course of an entire season, it usually means crossing that double digit threshold.

Would agree. Kerney had to be planned for, Brady smith,...ehhh not so much,

Man.....the days of Brady smith when it was nice to get 7-8 sacks from the other DE, hopefully that changes soon

If 10 guys are getting sacks you don't know who to double team. What he is saying is you have to create a scheme where the pressure is coming from anywhere. This will confuse offenses. For a guy to get 10 sacks, he has to be special. For a guy to get 4 sacks, he just has to be put in the right place at the right time. If you happen to have one or two "special" guys who get "extra" sacks due to individual effort, then that's just icing on the cake.

Very well said. He was just saying he doesn't want the same front four getting pressure. He wants to be aggressive enough to make QBs aware that the front four aren't the only ones to account for when we have 11 players on the field who can come after him anytime